Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation | Page 52 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But yet here's our upcoming land based on movies nearly 9o years old!

;)
I, Frankenstein - 2014
The Wolfman - 2010
The Invisible Man - 2020
The Mummy - 2017
Phantom of the Opera - 2004
Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 2 - 2012

Can we PLEASE stop pretending these monsters have been some ignored concept? Something reintroduces them every couple of years.

I, Frankenstein - 2014
The Wolfman - 2010
The Invisible Man - 2020
The Mummy - 2017

Can we PLEASE stop pretending these monsters have been some ignored concept? Something reintroduces them every couple of years.
If Twilight gets to be on the list I’m adding Hotel Transylvania.

I, Frankenstein - 2014
The Wolfman - 2010
The Invisible Man - 2020
The Mummy - 2017

Only three of these are based on the Universal versions of the characters, however.

I guess I'm not following the point you're trying to make with respect to these characters being used in a land.
My point is that they're characters that are continuously reintroduced into the zeitgeist. The "take" isn't important. It's the character itself. It's like Sherlock Holmes, King Arthur, or Robin Hood. Universal could just as easily drop a land for any of them, because they're properties that keep showing back up.

Without looking it up, do you know which Universal classic horror movie features Dr. Mirakle? It came out between Frankenstein and The Mummy. He was played by Bela Lugosi.

If you don't know, he's from Murders at the Rue Morgue (based on the Poe story). It's a character that isn't widely known because he's not constantly churned back into the public consciousness.

The Monsters have been.

My point is that they're characters that are continuously reintroduced into the zeitgeist. The "take" isn't important. It's the character itself. It's like Sherlock Holmes, King Arthur, or Robin Hood. Universal could just as easily drop a land for any of them, because they're properties that keep showing back up.

Without looking it up, do you know which Universal classic horror movie features Dr. Mirakle? It came out between Frankenstein and The Mummy. He was played by Bela Lugosi.

If you don't know, he's from Murders at the Rue Morgue (based on the Poe story). It's a character that isn't widely known because he's not constantly churned back into the public consciousness.

The Monsters have been.

As somebody who owns multiple versions of MURDERS... on multiple formats, I certainly am not going to disagree that the Universal Monsters are more widely-known. They're iconic elements of pop culture in a way that movies like MURDERS... or THE BLACK CAT or THE INVISIBLE RAY will never be, despite being part of the same horror arm of the studio.

It is because they're iconic that I think it would be a mistake for Universal to move too far away from the original Jack Pierce makeup designs.

As somebody who owns multiple versions of MURDERS... on multiple formats, I certainly am not going to disagree that the Universal Monsters are more widely-known. They're iconic elements of pop culture in a way that movies like MURDERS... or THE BLACK CAT or THE INVISIBLE RAY will never be, despite being part of the same horror arm of the studio.

It is because they're iconic that I think it would be a mistake for Universal to move too far away from the original Jack Pierce makeup designs.
Where did I say they would?

You're wrapped up in the take on these characters. The take doesn't matter. The characters last because they never the characters never disappeared. That's my point.

You're wrapped up in the take on these characters.

I don't know that that's true.

I'm having a hard time identifying what our point of disagreement actually is here. For clarity, here's where I stand: I'm more excited for the Classic Monsters in this park than I am for anything else, and I think their inclusion is more than justified.

I would say the Monsters are more than their respective films

The emoji there was meant to indicate a joke! Those characters have absolutely transcended their films (and the source material some of those movies were based on).

That does look like inspiration! Here is a link to google images of various views of the city.

Sighișoara - Google Search
I don't know. I wrote my dream Classical Monsters village as non descriptive European village as there are many styles and villages that have a castle and look cute, even I live in a village with a castle although it's not very impressive:
Kasteel-Arcen-Tuxyso-Wikimedia.jpg

Also that "Dracula castle" is a disappointing tourist trap and they probably want a cut of the likeness is used.
tour_img-1074974-146.jpg

Belcastel006.jpg

det_hs_village_12_beynac_is_chateau_ostill.jpg

10777952.jpg

Enough inspiration (these are mainly France castles villages).

Praised and popular are two different things. Gone With the Wind is considered one of the greatest movies of all time. How many 20-50 year olds have actually seen it?

I, Frankenstein - 2014
The Wolfman - 2010
The Invisible Man - 2020
The Mummy - 2017

Sorry for the delay in response. Gone with the Wind was made in 1939. BTTF was made in 1985. This a far-fetched comparison, one of nearly a half a century. Plus, BTTF is popular. You mention that the monsters are used repeatedly, well so is BTTF.

List of references to Back to the Future (Movies) | Futurepedia | FANDOM powered by Wikia

Let's add Stranger things to that list.

Look I am not saying BTTF should come back to Universal, but to say the movie is not timeless. come on..... I would have a harder time believing that there are more adolescents under 20 that do not know BTTF than do. Why would the recent Avengers movie use it as a reference if they felt a good portion of their target audience wouldn't understand it.

I am done with the BTTF spiel. I don't agree with the notion that it is needed in the parks, but negating its popularity was indeed enough reason to bring it up.

I love MOnsters and will argue they are timeless as well. Some of those movies did nothing to help their case. In fact, I would say they hurt their popularity.

Universal was never going to make UCM land aimed at adults. Families are where the money is at. That's not to say there won't be an attraction in the land aimed at an older crowd set, but they would be passing up too much potential profit by alienating families. That's why some of us have floated the idea of properties like Scooby Doo and even The Addams Family around. If you don't give families enough reason to venture into that area of the park (which would be a real risk for families with small children) then Universal is failing on properly capitalizing on guest spending in the area as well as overall crowd control for the park.

If people are expecting "scary" from UCM, you're going to be disappointed. It will be "mature," but still family friendly. Think more Van Helsing than Blumhouse.

If they do want to bring those brands to the Universal someday, I hope they are not mixed in with UCMs land. The whole point of these lands is for full immersion. Scooby doo is animation and does not fit in with live-action movies. The immersion of the land would be ruined if I see scooby doo characters in front of Dracula's castle.

Van Helsing does not include scooby doo or the Addams family.

Let the past die. Kill it if you have to.

Ouch! When the past was making far better movies than today. It is hard to let it die. Plus if we did let it die, there would be no monsters.

Yes, it would be a big mistake.

If they do want to bring those brands to the Universal someday, I hope they are not mixed in with UCMs land. The whole point of these lands is for full immersion. Scooby doo is animation and does not fit in with live-action movies. The immersion of the land would be ruined if I see scooby doo characters in front of Dracula's castle.

Van Helsing does not include scooby doo or the Addams family.

Yes, it would be a big mistake.
Exactly my point

I, Frankenstein - 2014
The Wolfman - 2010
The Invisible Man - 2020
The Mummy - 2017

Not an ignored concept at all, but some of your list have been less than successful endeavors. So the question will be what style, what rendition of these monsters will they use in this land? This is where the argument of “old” comes in.

Should they feature the 1931 Frankenstein or the 2014 Frankenstein or should UC create a whole new Frankenstein?

Reactions: Andysol and therock
Not an ignored concept at all, but some of your list have been less than successful endeavors. So the question will be what style, what rendition of these monsters will they use in this land? This is where the argument of “old” comes in.

Should they feature the 1931 Frankenstein or the 2014 Frankenstein or should UC create a whole new Frankenstein?
I think they go for classic. The costumes of the 30's, the whole design of the "monsters" isn't threatening for anyone in the family.

Status
Not open for further replies.