Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal's "Getting Closer to Normal" Guidelines

I doubt you'll ever see more than a handful of people indoors with masks on with that guideline. I had a suspicion, since they held off, that this was what they were going to do. They're probably
looking at the UK where it peaked for a month and a half, and now it's dropping quickly even though they opened up, as what's going to happen. So, I agree with Joe that they're
anticipating the peak in a few weeks and they don't want to lose their strong momentum. This is Florida, not Calif., so the rules of the ballgame are quite different. They're also
probably looking at Sea World to do the same, with their past history.....In other words, business as usual.

That would probably be an unfair comparison. The UK is about 22% more doses and masks are still mostly being used. I hate to say it, but if Florida is a few weeks away from the peak, things are going to get bad quick.

There's literally no change

So they've tightened the screw on TMs and not guests

I also don't like the idea of the parks being inconsistent in their guidance
Yeah as someone who cared about the company and it’s guests (as I know many from here), this is frustrating to hear. So, I cannot imagine what it’s like for locals.

Not a fan of this decision. For the benefit of CMs/TMs, as well as general safety of the population, I wish WDW, UOR, and SW could get on the same page about indoor masks.

I guess the benefit is that the TMs won’t be forced into confrontations with guests about masks, but ultimately this doesn’t help the country get any better at combating covid.

That would probably be an unfair comparison. The UK is about 22% more doses and masks are still mostly being used. I hate to say it, but if Florida is a few weeks away from the peak, things are going to get bad quick.
But the UK also had a lot of it'd population with only one dose AZ at the time, which isn't nearly as effective against covid as Pfizer and Moderna

But the UK also had a lot of it'd population with only one dose AZ at the time, which isn't nearly as effective against covid as Pfizer and Moderna

The UK only peaked about 10 days ago.

As of yesterday:
Florida - 57% first dose & 49% second dose.
UK - 70% first dose & 56% second dose and we haven't even really started to vaccine any under 18s yet.

In terms of AZ only being one dose, Pfizer has been the main vaccine for the last 3 months, I was pretty much in the last group to get it since it wasn't recommended for under 40s (a few days after I got my first dose) and we've been vaccinating by age.

The UK only peaked about 10 days ago.

As of yesterday:
Florida - 57% first dose & 49% second dose.
UK - 70% first dose & 56% second dose and we haven't even really started to vaccine any under 18s yet.

In terms of AZ only being one dose, Pfizer has been the main vaccine for the last 3 months, I was pretty much in the last group to get it since it wasn't recommended for under 40s (a few days after I got my first dose) and we've been vaccinating by age.
Sure, but the bulk of the England population was AZ, and it's weak against variants.

Sure, but the bulk of the England population was AZ, and it's weak against variants.

Weak is probably a strong term to use. Pfizer is 96% effective against hospitalisation and AZ is 92% and both appear to be similarly effective against death which is really the key goal here.

It also doesn’t take into account that the U.K. has a longer period between doses which seems be beneficial.

I get the sense that Universal wants some space to tighten things up as things get worse. The numbers are bad here in New Orleans. Cases up 200-300% over the past two weeks and vaccinations up 100% in the past 7 days. Even if people getting vaccinated now can beat the clock before they inevitably get exposed, cases are going to keep exploding over the next few weeks.

Weak is probably a strong term to use. Pfizer is 96% effective against hospitalisation and AZ is 92% and both appear to be similarly effective against death which is really the key goal here.

It also doesn’t take into account that the U.K. has a longer period between doses which seems be beneficial.
That's just hospitalization. On symptomatic disease, Public Health England's massive study showed Pfizer 88% effective against symptomatic disease and AZ only 60% effective against symptomatic disease.
And that trickles down to how many will get anything and how many can spread it. 28% difference is substantial. And one shot AZ is almost useless against Delta, and that's all many Brits had when the Delta
first hit. Second shots for many have been pretty recent.

That's just hospitalization. On symptomatic disease, Public Health England's massive study showed Pfizer 88% effective against symptomatic disease and AZ only 60% effective against symptomatic disease.
And that trickles down to how many will get anything and how many can spread it. 28% difference is substantial. And one shot AZ is almost useless against Delta, and that's all many Brits had when the Delta
first hit. Second shots for many have been pretty recent.
Actually, studies out of both England and Israel report that symptomatic disease of the vaccinated from the delta variant are approx the same as the unvaccinated.
Israel, which has one of the highest vaccination rates, is reporting pfizer is considerably less effective against delta than other variants.
By the way, are you aware that there have been multiple peer reviewed studies that are reporting that most covid infections are via aerosolized particles? Particles that are 1000x smaller than the holes in the material masks that most are wearing.
Follow the science.

Actually, studies out of both England and Israel report that symptomatic disease of the vaccinated from the delta variant are approx the same as the unvaccinated.
Israel, which has one of the highest vaccination rates, is reporting pfizer is considerably less effective against delta than other variants.
By the way, are you aware that there have been multiple peer reviewed studies that are reporting that most covid infections are via aerosolized particles? Particles that are 1000x smaller than the holes in the material masks that most are wearing.
Follow the science.
Yes, though it took forever for both the WHO and CDC to recognize the small aerosol problem We talked and discussed that in depth last summer on various covid threads here. . Many experts, according to a NY Times article last week, are now saying both cloth and surgical masks are not very effective against covid delta small aerosols , and that well fitting N95 masks are the only ones that afford much protection. Also, the Israel study is so small that most experts are questioning it. The large national study by the UK actually gives the vaccines very high remarks, especially on stopping hospitalization or severe illness, so on that I'm not sure what study you're referring to. There's lots of very small studies making the rounds, but they're not very inclusive.....Bottom line. Only Vaccines work to keep people that aren't immune challenged, like cancer and transplant patients, from being hospitalized or serious illness/death. I had previously quoted a UPMC study, from all the way back in early spring, that showed a very high percentage of immune compromised people were incapable of producing covid antibodies after being vaccinated. So the fact that's the vaccinated people (immune compromised due to their illness or drugs they take for it) that usually end up hospitalized should be no surprise. Vaccines just don't work for them at all.

Last edited:
Yes, though it took forever for both the WHO and CDC to recognize the small aerosol problem We talked and discussed that in depth on that last summer on various covid threads here. . Many experts, according to a NY Times article last week, are now saying both cloth and surgical masks are not very effective against covid delta small aerosols , and that well fitting N95 masks are the only ones that afford much protection. Also, the Israel study is so small that most experts are questioning it. The large national study by the UK actually gives the vaccines very high remarks, especially on stopping hospitalization or severe illness, so on that I'm not sure what study you're referring to. There's lots of very small studies making the rounds, but they're not very inclusive.....Bottom line. Only Vaccines work to keep people that aren't immune challenged, like cancer and transplant patients, from being hospitalized or serious illness/death. I had quoted a UPMC study, from all the way back in early spring, that showed a very high percentage on immune compromised people were incapable of producing covid antibodies after being vaccinated. So the fact that's the vaccinated people (immune compromised due to their illness or drugs they take for it) that usually end up hospitalized should be no surprise. Vaccines just don't work for them at all.
israel study so small? not so sure
Fauci had this to say about the Israeli study
"It could mean that they just are testing a heck of a lot more people who are asymptomatically infected, and they're seeing a larger percentage of people infected. Hence a diminution in the efficacy of the vaccine."
His point being more people being tested.

Its not all bad news though, delta is more contagious but less deadly, look not just at the cases but at the death and hospitalization rates.
i know it sounds a bit morbid and all.

Didn't say it was good guidelines...
Lol bro you literally said you thought UO was gonna beat Disney to the punch with the same announcement.

Anyway I get why people are upset but at the end of the day anyone who is seriously at risk of serious illness does not need to be choosing to visit a theme park…and if they do, masks in indoor spaces is not going to make that much of a difference. It is what it is…

israel study so small? not so sure
Fauci had this to say about the Israeli study
"It could mean that they just are testing a heck of a lot more people who are asymptomatically infected, and they're seeing a larger percentage of people infected. Hence a diminution in the efficacy of the vaccine."
His point being more people being tested.

Its not all bad news though, delta is more contagious but less deadly, look not just at the cases but at the death and hospitalization rates.
i know it sounds a bit morbid and all.
Uhh, the study was like a few dozen people initially....Fauci's point, and criticism, was that it may not have been representative of the vaccinated population, not that it was a large study. The UK study, which basically represented all infections,
refuted the Israeli assertion. Plus it (Israel) hasn't been peer reviewed and the methodology was not revealed.It's an outlander .....Death and hospitalization rates with Delta can't really be compared with the wild covid due to the fact that the largest percentage of people vaccinated in the UK and US are the over 65's that were the bulk of the previous deaths and hospitalizations. So it's really an oranges to apples comparison......Are you vaccinated?

Last edited:
It’s really a joke. Against the CDC recommendation. They mandate for TM’s but not guests? So do they actually care about their TM’s or guests? Having one set of people masked and not another does nothing to protect those TM’s nor guests.

Boo to them on this one. Boo.