Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread | Page 372 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To just bring up, this isn't the first time I believe; considering that I think a few of the creatures were sold as plush merch before Where to Find Them came to theaters.

If a House With A Clock In It's Walls gets a ride in the new park, Mortal Engines should get a ride (or land) as well. That movie looks like it has theme park material written all over it. Plus, it's directed by the guy who directed LOTR and the Hobbit.

If a House With A Clock In It's Walls gets a ride in the new park, Mortal Engines should get a ride (or land) as well. That movie looks like it has theme park material written all over it. Plus, it's directed by the guy who directed LOTR and the Hobbit.

Yeah but it hasn't been a box office success so there's no chance.

I hate to put the brakes on ME..but it isn't directed by Pete.

He is involved, yes, but they are misleading who is actually directing (as it is Christian Rivers [which he hasn't done any full fledged films to this point]). Peter produced and had a hand in the screenplay, sure, but he never had a hand in the directors chair for this.

And considering the film had already been slated at 100 million dollars on a production budget; the risk is going to be much higher for Mortal Engines than House with a Clock in It's Walls as it stands, if Universal wants to use it for the parks.

I know the answer - but why spoil the fun?

>:)

Fair enough, the game is fun after-all..;)

Reactions: Magic-Man
I hate to put the brakes on ME..but it isn't directed by Pete.

He is involved, yes, but they are misleading who is actually directing (as it is Christian Rivers [which he hasn't done any full fledged films to this point]). Peter produced and had a hand in the screenplay, sure, but he never had a hand in the directors chair for this.

And considering the film had already been slated at 100 million dollars on a production budget; the risk is going to be much higher for Mortal Engines than House with a Clock in It's Walls as it stands, if Universal wants to use it for the parks.

Oh, my bad. But it’s still great theme park material.

Yeah but it hasn't been a box office success so there's no chance.

I can’t tell if this is sarcasm? The movie isn’t even out yet.

If I was still a betting man, I would say the odds of either of those IP's being in the new park would be in the vicinity of 'when hell freezes over'.

both are planned franchise starter films for Universal hints why there is a chance. Mortal Engines is part of a 9 part book series (4 main series, 5 prequels) and House with A Clock is a series of 12 books

Reactions: HPFred
House with a Clock is probably getting a sequel. The budget is low for a movie of its caliber, so even though it's only making around 70-75M domestically, that's still enough for a profit. A sequel may or may not increase.

Mortal Engines has bomb written all over it though. It'll be one of Christmas' casualties.

$91 million global gross ($56 Domestic, $34 Global) IMO is a bomb (even if production budget was $41) as the studio will not make huge returns. I highly doubt a sequel will get off the ground, and ditto for a theme park attraction with so few people seeing it.

The Mummy (2017) did $410 globally ($80 Domestic, $330 Global) and the studio considered it bad to the point they likely aren't proceeding with their overall "Dark Universe".....

$91 million global gross ($56 Domestic, $34 Global) IMO is a bomb (even if production budget was $41) as the studio will not make huge returns. I highly doubt a sequel will get off the ground, and ditto for a theme park attraction with so few people seeing it.

The Mummy (2017) did $410 globally ($80 Domestic, $330 Global) and the studio considered it bad to the point they likely aren't proceeding with their overall "Dark Universe".....
Universal has been consistently pushing out Monster merch this Halloween, we'll see if that lasts/leads to anything

So it's okay to compare a 42 Million dollar family Psuedo-Horror film (that most likely has a smaller marketing budget than most) to a 100+ million dollar kickstart to a cinematic universe? Why, that's a great idea!

:eek:O:

Reactions: HPFred
Oh, I don't think Universal needs the cinematic universe to build out a land based on the classic monsters. They are iconic/timeless and their history likely means that such a land would probably be a good idea/successful.

I was using the Mummy as an example of the likelihood of "House with a Clock....." getting a sequel. i.e. If the Mummy at $400m globally = Dark Cinematic Universe getting shelved, then the likelihood of House with a Clock getting a sequel is next to nill. And with such a poor overall showing and no sequels means that representation in the parks is not going to happen IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.