Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread | Page 507 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if this Monster world would all be an oldd European village or would it have other areas like maybe Egypt or the Amazon? I know it would be a smaller world for the park but it doesn't sound very worldly if it is only an old European village.

The lead rumor seems to be that the “worlds” will be comprised of multiple lands, so they could feasibly do an old Transylvanian village and an Amazon-themed area.

So I have a theory of what I think the HTTYD attraction is going to be based on this patented concept:

us-shg.jpg

Based on this, I suspect the manufacturer Universal is going to partner with to create this attraction is Zamperla. Why?

• The seating position is very similar to that of their Kite Flyer and Volare ride models:
KiteFlyer10.jpg Volare151.jpg
  • Universal has worked with Zamperla before, with Puss In Boots' Giant Journey at USS:
CLj574U4tk1ezWmVrgYTnpMhjV7ZNpgt5sgLgjr_XAM.jpeg

The actual system for the suspension is pretty bulky, so that in an of itself may disqualify the ride from being a coaster. But if they could pull it off, it would allow for replication at some of the more compact parks, as the coaster allows for multi-level design.

So overall, I'm expecting the ride to be Forbidden Journey mixed with Puss In Boots, with the seating position of a Zamperla Kite Flyer.

So I have a theory of what I think the HTTYD attraction is going to be based on this patented concept:

View attachment 9142

Based on this, I suspect the manufacturer Universal is going to partner with to create this attraction is Zamperla. Why?

• The seating position is very similar to that of their Kite Flyer and Volare ride models:
View attachment 9143 View attachment 9144
  • Universal has worked with Zamperla before, with Puss In Boots' Giant Journey at USS:
View attachment 9145

The actual system for the suspension is pretty bulky, so that in an of itself may disqualify the ride from being a coaster. But if they could pull it off, it would allow for replication at some of the more compact parks, as the coaster allows for multi-level design.

So overall, I'm expecting the ride to be Forbidden Journey mixed with Puss In Boots, with the seating position of a Zamperla Kite Flyer.

It won't be Zamperla. Zamperla doesn't really do dark rides or anything too complex.

Reactions: Mad Dog
It's a fair argument, but key to note is that the popularity of this brand came from the game first, before the Anime became populare in North American, so it's a bit of an outlier. Plus this is specifically going to come eventually but more as a part of Nintendo and not anything specifically to do with the Anime.

I 100% disagree with this....it was the anime which really put Pokemon on the map because it was during the TV show which everyone came to love Pikachu and led to Pokemon yellow.

Not going into anime popularity argument but I'm gonna gonna leave this here and walk away

'Dragon Ball Super: Broly' Tops U.S. Box Office With Massive $7M+ Opening Day
How ‘Dragon Ball Super: Broly’ Surprised At MLK Weekend Box Office | Deadline

Obviously anime is becoming less niche as time passes (why do you think Netflix invests heavily in it) and maybe if theme parks were less reactive and more proactive at getting properties then they could have plans ready for many things already ready to tap rather than last minute changes.

Last edited:
Reactions: HPFred
Does anyone know if this Monster world would all be an oldd European village or would it have other areas like maybe Egypt or the Amazon? I know it would be a smaller world for the park but it doesn't sound very worldly if it is only an old European village.

European Village. Again, don’t get too hung up on the “World” moniker.

I 100% disagree with this....it was the anime which really put Pokemon on the map because it was during the TV show which everyone came to love Pikachu and led to Pokemon yellow.

Red and Blue sold 10 million copies before Yellow was a thing. Pokemon was on the map long before the anime

Anime is niche. Netflix “invests” in it because it’s cheap and Netflix’s whole thing is appeal to every demographic possible. Universal isn’t going to invest hundreds of millions of dollars for permanent attractions based on things that can only generate a 7 million opening weekend at the box office

European Village. Again, don’t get too hung up on the “World” moniker.

Red and Blue sold 10 million copies before Yellow was a thing. Pokemon was on the map long before the anime

Anime is niche. Netflix “invests” in it because it’s cheap and Netflix’s whole thing is appeal to every demographic possible. Universal isn’t going to invest hundreds of millions of dollars for permanent attractions based on things that can only generate a 7 million opening weekend at the box office
Yep I think anime is becoming more popular however it’s demographic is still too niche in our market versus Japan of course. Maybe in a couple more years after the park opens they could add some stuff.

I argue the opposite. Red and Blue dropped first in North America in Sept. 98, accompanied by a huge marketing push in August prior to it's launch (does anyone remember "Topekachu day"?). It launched to immediate big sales.

The initial marketing push was all centered around the game(s) and the anime popularity was secondary (and itself was part of the games marketing push ala GI Joe and Transformers in the 80s).

Pokemon Yellow didn't hit America until 1999

Reactions: natespf
I argue the opposite. Red and Blue dropped first in North America in Sept. 98, accompanied by a huge marketing push in August prior to it's launch (does anyone remember "Topekachu day"?). It launched to immediate big sales.

The initial marketing push was all centered around the game(s) and the anime popularity was secondary (and itself was part of the games marketing push ala GI Joe and Transformers in the 80s).

Pokemon Yellow didn't hit America until 1999

when did Pokemon Anime air in the US?

September 8, 1998

When did Pokemon Red and Blue come out in the US?

Sept. 28, 1998

If a show comes out before the game them??? And then a spinoff is made off a show then obviously the show is credited for its success.

Reactions: HPFred

September 8, 1998

Sept. 28, 1998

If a show comes out before the game them??? And then a spinoff is made off a show then obviously the show is credited for its success.

Pokemon in effect launched both with a show and game at the same time in the USA. It's a known thing to blanket the media like that.

I'm not sure why this is being debated. The show was created to promote the video game. Niche doesn't mean it doesn't have fans, but more important for a themepark would be how non-fans regard the property. None the less, I don't see Pokemon shoehorning in other anime.

September 8, 1998

Sept. 28, 1998

In North America, the show was part of of the marketing push/strategy for the game. Just like when Hasbro kicked off Transformers and GI Joe over a decade before it. The shows were essentially a 30 minute ad for the game. But the Marketing for the game's impeding release started in August (commercials, yellow suited skydivers landing in major cites etc.).

I'd argue that the show would have low probability for release on its own in America at that time if it wasn't part of overall marketing push for the games coming out.

September 8, 1998

Sept. 28, 1998

You still don't have the anime without the initial success of the game in Japan. The launch in the US (along with the trading card game) is synergy at its finest. While the anime is very successful, the game's visual style has a broader appeal.

^ This. They only have so much real estate. There will always(well at least for the foreseeable future), be an IP that will bring a higher ROI than any non-Pokemon anime. Hell an overkill 7th or 8th Potter land would bring in more than an all encompassing anime world. They same goes for 90% of people's "Pet project" IP's.

Status
Not open for further replies.