Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

USH Price Increase!

Well, this is unfortunate.

I don't see the justification, but whatever works. At least wait till construction is over...

My only concern is that Universal seems to be cementing a similar pricing structure used at department stores: increase prices and hand out coupons to make it seem like consumers are getting a deal. So in other words, artificially high prices.

It's troubling, because the park is reaching a threshold in which it's becoming increasingly unreasonable to pay their prices. $84 for their current roster of attractions? Nope. I can only imagine the frustration for those who come out-of-state or even outside of the SoCal region who have to pay full price.

That being said, I understand their low annual pass rates, but this is troubling. I'm not surprised, but I am worried.

...and in my opinion, there is no justification for this price hike. I understand Transformers and the summer season, but we haven't seen the product of the last hikes just yet. Would it be reasonable after the construction period is over? Perhaps.

But definitely not now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am devestated.I find $84 To be verh unreasonable. No new attractions, jus "Summer of Survival". Bob Dylan, do you know why the price has increased? Like Jon said. The number of attractions just doesn't seem justified with the price! Good thing parking didn't change. I can tell that prices for USH next summer could be up by 4%.

Moan and bitch however you like, and this is one I especially see at other fansites which will go unnamed, but the idea that these theme park companies are catering to the luxury class is absurd. You all go to these parks. For every person who legitimately can not afford it, I find at least five other people who can yet still choose to whine. The upcharges only exist because people pay them. There's no reason to believe they won't according to guest research. If Universal sees otherwise, then they won't increase the prices. Pretty simple.
I agree. They wouldn't be raising prices if people weren't going to pay it.

Look at Apple. People complain about their prices all the time, but they're selling - and that's important. I'll still bitch about it though, but I won't lament over it time and time again or threaten not to buy like others have.

Again, I'm more surprised with the timing more so than everything, summer season aside.

Edit: Just to reinforce the notion that people are willing to pay, look at this response from our Twitter account:

Screen_Shot_2013_06_07_at_12_45_06_AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob Dylan, totally with you. Not much I can add, but I can be a good lil parrot and agree :p

Yes, it can be slightly frustrating to some, but it's not like it's shocking. This happens every year. The only slightly different thing that happened this year was that UOR raised their prices before WDW, but that's because UOR is on a high role of amazingness haha.

Theme Parks from Disney and Universal are high quality luxuries. They're also run by large companies, and money is a priority obviously, especially because people WILL still come and will buy.

Anyway though, for the money, whether it's Disney or Universal, you have opportunity for a good deal and compared to other luxuries, Disney and Universal can be an excellent deal! Compare it to movie theatre tickets, which I think are overpriced. Or other short term luxuries. Our SoCal parks are amazing deals for the price and the fun !

It's expensive to get one day tickets, I understand. But mostly only tourists get those, and they don't mind, they aren't here for long usually and they dont really have a choice. Regardless, for the price, it's a fantastic experience! (Although if I was a tourist on a budget, I'd save up $10 more and do Disney instead)

For locals, we got our annual passes. You can't beat USH's AP deals. Especially once they start introducing monthly payments again.

Jon, I do agree that it can kinda seem selfish for them to raise the prices when there's so much construction and rides down, but it's timing to coincide with Disney and the summer season. As a business, they gotta take advantage of that, because people WILL pay. Supply and demand. And as we've seen from the latest Attendance info, there sure is more demand.

I think (even is it sounds like whining or bitching, which, by the way, wouldn't be the words I would be using here) it is expensive for what it is. But I already discussed that mercadologists have a threshold in which if you keep up rising prices there will be a point in which your product will be seen as not being worth the price. Don't know what that would be in USH.

This begs the question now, with DM + SSFL coming next year. Is this the last year of Buy a Day Get a Year Free?

12 month Premium Star Pass went up AGAIN this year.

$189.00  $169.00 online. Shoot, it was $179 and $159 online only a week or two ago.

How greedy of Universal. Twice in one year?