Villain-Con Minion Blast (General Discussion) | Page 63 | Inside Universal Forums

Villain-Con Minion Blast (General Discussion)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I don't think I buy that distinction, frankly. Something for everyone, inherently, is also for kids.

I guess I just don't know what the advantage is of intentionally designing a land that is only for kids. I can't think of any other such land at UO or WDW that I'd classify that way.

By your logic, we can apply that "rule" and say there's plenty for adults to do that kids can also enjoy... So VelociCoaster should go? ;) There's something for everyone, but not everything is for everyone. This is like a Venn Diagram, where most of the stuff is for everyone, with the other circles representing tiny slivers for "Older/Adults" and "Kids".

But your issue isn't a "land for kids", it's a "land for kids without a dark ride" - which is a different, and silly, argument.

As far as current lands elsewhere...

Magic Kingdom has Storybook Circus.
Epcot has the new Moana Water Playground.
At SeaWorld, Sesame Street has been a huge success.

I don't think I buy that distinction, frankly. Something for everyone, inherently, is also for kids.

I guess I just don't know what the advantage is of intentionally designing a land that is only for kids. I can't think of any other such land at UO or WDW that I'd classify that way.
Seuss Landing’s lineup isn’t that different besides having a dark ride, I love walking through it even if I don’t ride anything. Even if there’s no new attractions I’m expecting the look and feel of the new KidZone to be fresh.

Reactions: TheCodeMan95
By your logic, we can apply that "rule" and say there's plenty for adults to do that kids can also enjoy... So VelociCoaster should go? ;)
I don't think that's my "rule," really!

VelociCoaster is in a land that has offerings for a wide range of ages.

But your issue isn't a "land for kids", it's a "land for kids without a dark ride" - which is a different, and silly, argument.
Correction: my issue is that it's been 23 years since USF got a new (non-screen-heavy) dark ride, and the KidZone area seemed like the best and most realistic place (after the Shrek spot got passed over) to add one anytime even remotely soon.

I don't think that's silly at all!

But I will concede that's a huge bias on my part.

As far as current lands elsewhere...

Magic Kingdom has Storybook Circus.
Epcot has the new Moana Water Playground.
At SeaWorld, Sesame Street has been a huge success.
If I'm getting really pedantic, I'd consider Storybook Circus just a part of Fantasyland, but I do think that specific area is definitely a very good comp for what it would seem Universal is doing with KidZone.

As for Moana, again, I'm taking issue with the concept of a land. Of course there can -- and should -- be attractions in theme parks (USF, Epcot, anywhere) that intentionally skew towards the very young.

Seuss Landing’s lineup isn’t that different besides having a dark ride, I love walking through it even if I don’t ride anything.
I ride Cat in the Hat and the Trolley every trip!

Correction: my issue is that it's been 23 years since USF got a new (non-screen-heavy) dark ride, and the KidZone area seemed like the best and most realistic place (after the Shrek spot got passed over) to add one anytime even remotely soon.

I don't think that's silly at all!

And to that I say… patience. KidZone’s current plans doesn’t mean there can’t be a dark ride later on. Whether it be there, or somewhere else.

Reactions: tankart150 and Nico
On the one hand, fair.

On the other hand, 23 years is a long time. I wonder how patient most on this board would be if the resort hadn't added a new coaster in 23 years...
Well, they did add dark rides in those 23 years… :lol: but that’s a different discussion for another thread.

...so is this thing still happening or did Universal decide to cancel at the last minute? :lol:

We're like at most 2-3 months out from opening and we don't have any official explanations of what this actually is. I get the hesitancy of announcing an opening date... but give us something to hold us over.

...so is this thing still happening or did Universal decide to cancel at the last minute? :lol:

We're like at most 2-3 months out from opening and we don't have any official explanations of what this actually is. I get the hesitancy of announcing an opening date... but give us something to hold us over.
The official announcement and press release do a good job of explaining the theme, plot, and how the attraction will work. What we don't have are photos or b-roll clips from inside, of which there would be tons of by now if this were Disney. But it is not Disney lol

Official information:

Villain-Con Minion Blast combines innovative screen technology, state-of-the-art gaming interactivity and elaborate physical sets to create a one-of-a-kind, game-based adventure where guests encounter immersive environments, nefarious villains and tons of mischievous Minions from Illumination’s films in a whole new way. The world-class attraction transports guests to Villain-Con – the biggest criminal convention on the planet – to take part in an epic competition to see if they have what it takes to become the newest member of The Vicious 6, a notorious group of supervillains from the hit film, “Minions: The Rise of Gru.” Guests who are up for the challenge will grab an interactive blaster and step onto a motion-based pathway to put their skills to the test. They’ll wind and glide through various scenes where they earn points by blasting a variety of items and causing as much mayhem and destruction as possible. It’s a unique, mischief-filled experience that’s so much fun, it’s a crime.​

The official announcement and press release do a good job of explaining the theme, plot, and how the attraction will work. What we don't have are photos or b-roll clips from inside, of which there would be tons of by now if this were Disney. But it is not Disney lol

Official information:

Villain-Con Minion Blast combines innovative screen technology, state-of-the-art gaming interactivity and elaborate physical sets to create a one-of-a-kind, game-based adventure where guests encounter immersive environments, nefarious villains and tons of mischievous Minions from Illumination’s films in a whole new way. The world-class attraction transports guests to Villain-Con – the biggest criminal convention on the planet – to take part in an epic competition to see if they have what it takes to become the newest member of The Vicious 6, a notorious group of supervillains from the hit film, “Minions: The Rise of Gru.” Guests who are up for the challenge will grab an interactive blaster and step onto a motion-based pathway to put their skills to the test. They’ll wind and glide through various scenes where they earn points by blasting a variety of items and causing as much mayhem and destruction as possible. It’s a unique, mischief-filled experience that’s so much fun, it’s a crime.​
I forgot how specific this is. :lmao:

Reactions: Alicia
  1. innovative screen technology
  2. state-of-the-art gaming interactivity
  3. elaborate physical sets
  4. world-class attraction
  5. so much fun, it’s a crime

As much as I hate the outside, if Universal delivers on their promises, this is going to be a win.​
I think after this opens, all the questions and doubt surrounding it will slowly wither away

I'll say that for what it is, I like the way the sound stage looks by itself and I'm sure it'll be great once all the little details are added in. On the other hand though I think some of the frustration with Universal's approach seems to be (and someone touched on this) the seemingly random minimum standard in which an attraction/land is built.

When MM was initially built, it worked for what it was. Now that they're adding this ride and creating a "land" (or mini-land) I think the expectation for how cohesive and themed the area is as whole greatly increases. For sure stand-alone attractions are hit and miss with how much is invested for theming and design (F&F vs. Kong vs. Transformers) but Universal has certainly been leaning heavily on a higher standard for lands. Considering that this is also in the front of the park and sets the tone for guests entering and leaving the park, it's natural to want to have it done well.

Yes it's true that Universal built themselves into a corner but it's also true that they could have bulldozed the whole building and create something custom than retrofitted. And before anyone mentions "but costs!" also remember we're talking about a company that is definitely not hurting for money in the way the average person would (less profit? sure. going broke soon? no.), other people in charge of financials just don't allocate funds for that—Universal has to work with what they're given for the fiscal year, and we've seen when they've skimped in one area to plus something elsewhere. Simultaneously they also just increased AP fees again, so it's sort of expected for guests to want to see that reflected in the parks. (This is a whole other, multi-faceted discussion though; not for this thread.)

On a practical level it's also right in front of the park which may have limited what they could do in the area without massive disruptions that really may not have been worth building a "better" attraction in the needed time frame. They probably didn't want to do the EPCOT thing although it's not like they would've taken as long to complete the build. ;)

It could also be plans were based on how much life MM's ride system has left and are saving up for a future replacement at that time or maybe they'll knock all of it down in like 10 years when it finally keels over, so they may not want to put a huge amount of resources on this; we don't know the long term plans here either.

All that said, my overall expectation has settled around this area being about equal to the Simpsons area. Oddly enough they both started out in a similar fashion: An old ride system where the themed land was built around it.

P.S.: I'll mention again that I do wish they actual entrance plaza was freshened up. Maybe they'll do that right before EU opens?

What about people with balance issues or vertigo? You made me think about how people may be able to handle straight paths fine but the curves may throw people off, especially if they're attention is elsewhere. I don't have balance problems so I can't speak on that but I'm interested if anyone with problems like that and how they might fair going through something like this.

One way I was thinking was that the turns would be between scenes, allowing guests to take a break and be attentive to the turning. I'm not expecting street racing levels of drifting here but it all depends on how fast the walkway is moving and how sensitives some guests may be.

I prefer having unique things at each park instead of copy/pasted rides and lands. They could all have the same franchises but as long as each implementation of them in the parks is different I wouldn't mind all that much.
I believe I read over on the WDW magic forums as well a poster said he thinks Villain Con will be a safety net type of attraction for when MM has to be retired due to the ride system getting up there in age, they can still have some sort of Minion attraction.

I have a hard time believing Universal has any intention of getting rid of Minion Mayhem. They just opened a version in Beijing, and one is being built in Singapore currently. The only real issue the Orlando ride has is its lack of capacity compared to the other versions.

Reactions: tankart150
Last time I rode Minion Mayhem I noticed the ride pod in the middle of the back row is gone. May have been missing awhile. Weird to see an empty spot where there should be a pod. Wonder if it’s coming back.
A likely casualty of one too many direct hits from the fart gun by radical minions. ;) It's bananas how that stuff constantly disappears. Pure mayhem.

I have a hard time believing Universal has any intention of getting rid of Minion Mayhem. They just opened a version in Beijing, and one is being built in Singapore currently. The only real issue the Orlando ride has is its lack of capacity compared to the other versions.
Bejing is a new build though. DMMM in Orlando is running on a 33 year old ride system. I can see them eventually wanting to either:

a.) Close the ride for refurbishment so that they can replace all of the old ride vehicles with new ones
or
b.) Scrap the whole ride and build either a new DM attraction or another attraction based on an Illumination property in that spot at some point. However, with DMMM being as popular as it is and USF having so many other problems that need to be addressed first, I have to think we're talking close to a decade before this scenario would play out.

1) We ride cat in the hat every trip too, talk about nightmare fuel!

2) And we said we were going to ride the trolley just because for the first time this trip in September.

3) differing opinions aren’t “silly” just because someone doesn’t agree with it. That’s how discussion works!
We LOVE Suess Landing, especially during the holidays. We're damn old, but we ride CITH , the Carousel, and the Trolly, often. And, best kept secret in the park, is that the Trolly is one of the best nighttime rides. It's multiple times better in the dark.