Villain-Con Minion Blast (General Discussion) | Page 75 | Inside Universal Forums

Villain-Con Minion Blast (General Discussion)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
When I said I thought it might not open till August, even I knew that’s still perfectly within the summer opening window. It’s a little later than I was hoping, and it could still open sooner.

Not happy to see stories and vlogs saying it’s “delayed” though. Just needs a little more time to cook. How can something without an opening date be delayed? Happy to know it’s testing and adjusting.

Minion Land is already a success in my book, even without Minion Blast open.

I will say that it's an interesting choice for Universal to avoid announcing an opening date to entice summer bookings with attendance relatively down. The minions are one of the very few IPs that can convince a family to fly down to Orlando.

Reactions: tankart150
I will say that it's an interesting choice for Universal to avoid announcing an opening date to entice summer bookings with attendance relatively down. The minions are one of the very few IPs that can convince a family to fly down to Orlando.
I mean maybe it will work for a few

But I would never go to a park for X ride, if it did not have a date

I got tickets and planned my trip around seeing Rogers the musical and had to wait for the official date to make plans

Reactions: tankart150
I thought the parks were up, considering how often people on here comment on how crowded the parks are.

I thought the parks were up, considering how often people on here comment on how crowded the parks are.

Attendance is down this year compared to last year. 2022 was their best year so far, but it's quickly shifted this year hence all of the discounts/promos and hotel rate reductions. That's why I was surprised to see them increase AP prices by quite a lot - wouldn't be shocked to see AP discounts/promos soon.

When I said I thought it might not open till August, even I knew that’s still perfectly within the summer opening window. It’s a little later than I was hoping, and it could still open sooner.

Not happy to see stories and vlogs saying it’s “delayed” though. Just needs a little more time to cook. How can something without an opening date be delayed? Happy to know it’s testing and adjusting.

Minion Land is already a success in my book, even without Minion Blast open.

I think that oft-repeated tenet from Shigeru Miyamoto about game design applies here (given that this is largely a game) - a delayed game is eventually good, a rushed game is bad forever.

(Of course, this principle applied more acutely before the advent of remote patching tech, and obviously Universal will make adjustments as more real-world guests provide feedback... but at this point, internally, they're aware there are issues and would prefer to make changes before the public experiences it.)

I think that oft-repeated tenet from Shigeru Miyamoto about game design applies here (given that this is largely a game) - a delayed game is eventually good, a rushed game is bad forever.

(Of course, this principle applied more acutely before the advent of remote patching tech, and obviously Universal will make adjustments as more real-world guests provide feedback... but at this point, internally, they're aware there are issues and would prefer to make changes before the public experiences it.)
Absolutely this. I will wait as long as required for most forms of entertainment if the body of work justifies it. Those Tears of the Kingdom delays? Worth it all day long. Give me a longer wait that leads to a masterpiece over a rushed Cyberpunk, Fallout 76, etc. It respects the customer to not rush a product just for the sake of appeasing those who want the gratification faster and those who want to profit off of it sooner.

That's also why I think things like Supercharged basically never having an official opening date announced before opening and Bourne's opening date being announced 3 days prior is for the best. If you can't guarantee a functional, high quality product months out, don't promise a date that will lead to people spending thousands of dollars to travel & experience that attraction. Wait until you know it's truly ready and then release it to the people.

Attendance is down this year compared to last year. 2022 was their best year so far, but it's quickly shifted this year hence all of the discounts/promos and hotel rate reductions. That's why I was surprised to see them increase AP prices by quite a lot - wouldn't be shocked to see AP discounts/promos soon.
I could see them bringing back the 15 month renewal with the standard renewal discount. Otherwise I assumed the AP increases were gearing up for higher prices with epic universe included. My plan was to buy a pass next year and then hope for the renewal discount at least to apply to the pass with epic universe. I think universal is going to have some incentives around the new park, underestimate demand, and then take some of them away. Like maybe they keep the express after 4 and then too many people buy the top pass.

Last edited:
I could see them bringing back the 15 month renewal with the standard renewal discount. Otherwise I assumed the AP increases were gearing up for higher prices with epic universe included. My plan was to buy a pass next year and then hope for the renewal discount at least to apply to the pass with epic universe. I think universal is going to have some incentives around the new park, underestimate demand, and then take some of them away. Like maybe they keep the express after 4 and then too many people buy the top pass.

It'd be smart for them to apply a 3 or 6-month free promo over the next few months to prevent people from jumping ship/waiting a year and hold them "hostage" once the 3/4-park passes are activated/sold.

I doubt they want to repeat what happened with Disneyland when SWGE opened.

If we get to the middle of August and Blast isn’t open, do they try to open during HHN if it’s ready or just let it sit until a moment when they need something to promote and when it won’t get lost in the noise?

If we get to the middle of August and Blast isn’t open, do they try to open during HHN if it’s ready or just let it sit until a moment when they need something to promote and when it won’t get lost in the noise?

I think they already missed their window for any sort of significant promotional opportunity until post-HHN. Summer is soft, and I doubt anyone will be making last-minute $2K+ vacations to Orlando this year if they announce a July/August date. While I don't think Universal cares about giving stuff proper promotional buildup (Cinematic Celebration, Escape Rooms, etc.), it's pretty shocking they avoided the use of the Minions for promos this year. Minions sell quite easily.

They could pull a Ratatouille and delay it intentionally until November for the holiday season if they wanna be truly evil.

I think they already missed their window for any sort of significant promotional opportunity until post-HHN. Summer is soft, and I doubt anyone will be making last-minute $2K+ vacations to Orlando this year if they announce a July/August date. While I don't think Universal cares about giving stuff proper promotional buildup (Cinematic Celebration, Escape Rooms, etc.), it's pretty shocking they avoided the use of the Minions for promos this year. Minions sell quite easily.

They could pull a Ratatouille and delay it intentionally until November for the holiday season if they wanna be truly evil.
Delaying to November and having a Very Minions Holiday seems like the smart move. You won't move the needle during HHN and the promotional cupboard is a bit bare until Kidzone is ready to go. If this were Disney, I'd say it was a lock, but Universal has been much more willing to open things when they're ready, so we'll see. If its even ready to go before November, of course.

I would hope they'd at least remove "Summer 2023" from promotional material if they're actually planning on delaying this until November. I don't think they would intentionally delay this any further unless they had to. They'll want the capacity for September / October.