Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Villain-Con Minion Blast (General Discussion)

The loss of that part or the queue is interesting. Have I missed in any of the publicity or app leaks that this will have VQ? If it doesn’t, they must really consider this thing a people eater.

The restaurant/meet and greet part that is still in development looks great. The former Shrek building looks garbage. Purple walls, posters and some cut-outs for photo-ops (who the hell wants a photo next to a cutout anyway?!) is a huge abuse for one of Universals successful ip's. It is cheap, it looks cheap and it's what stands out after you bought a very expensive entrance ticket. It's horrible!
Lets hope the inside improves a 1 trillion times....
Yes, the ride building looks shockingly awful. I’m genuinely surprised that the Universal of the last decade produced… this.

Dino-rama looked exactly like what it was meant to evoke. It was perfectly themed - people just didn’t like the theme. This doesn’t read as a convention center. It doesn’t read as anything.

In another time and place....I would have so preferred Minions/Despicable Me to take over Springfield and get a fully fleshed out world. That being said....Minions are a crowd pleaser and will definitely be impactful as you enter USF. How can you look at that Minion signage and not smile?
They could've kept the carnival theme and turned Krustyland into Super Silly Fun Land. The carnival games would be able to stay and be an easy re-skin to the carnival games seen in the first movie.

Yes, the ride building looks shockingly awful. I’m genuinely surprised that the Universal of the last decade produced… this.
It's a sound stage themed building. The event being staged in that sound stage is Villain Con. Did you think they were going to build a replica of the Orange County Convention Center?

main-OCCC.webp

It's perfectly serviceable, just like the original attraction on the other side of the pathway. Universal Studios has a studio theme overall, and that lends itself to varying degrees of "behind the scenes"/"Production sets" views. It's not supposed to be immersive theming just like a real studio.

It's a sound stage themed building. The event being staged in that sound stage is Villain Con. Did you think they were going to build a replica of the Orange County Convention Center?

main-OCCC.webp

It's perfectly serviceable, just like the original attraction on the other side of the pathway. Universal Studios has a studio theme overall, and that lends itself to varying degrees of "behind the scenes"/"Production sets" views. It's not supposed to be immersive theming just like a real studio.
Yes. If Minions was done this way in IOA or Epic, it would be unacceptable. But USF is a 'Studios' theme park. Minions fits the theme.

You guys are tough! With the crowd I see going to these con's and all the kooky-ness they bring, I would imagine one being decked out like this especially in the minions cannon. Cut outs for photo ops, signs and banners, craziness all around! Again, this is the world of Minions seeping into our reality.

If this was a full fledged, fully immersive Minions Land being built from the ground up what's there would be disappointing. This is what it is though-- a "mini land" within a studio themed park. It's just like the Fallon ride where it's themed as much as needed to suggest what it is, but still just facades in a studio.

Yes. If Minions was done this way in IOA or Epic, it would be unacceptable. But USF is a 'Studios' theme park. Minions fits the theme.
US hasn’t been a “studio” theme park the way you’re using the term for over a decade. And no, this doesn’t look either “minion-y” or “convention-y.” To see an area that looks “minion-y” and is themed to Universal’s current standards, all you have to do is look at the Cafe building. Every defense of the Blast building flounders when compared to the structure right next door!

All of this is even more inexplicable if they have, in fact, eliminated the queue on the side of the building, which allows ample room for a themed facade instead of the truly ugly awning.

Honestly, this is reminiscent of Mickeys Birthdayland.

US hasn’t been a “studio” theme park the way you’re using the term for over a decade. And no, this doesn’t look either “minion-y” or “convention-y.” To see an area that looks “minion-y” and is themed to Universal’s current standards, all you have to do is look at the Cafe building. Every defense of the Blast building flounders when compared to the structure right next door!

All of this is even more inexplicable if they have, in fact, eliminated the queue on the side of the building, which allows ample room for a themed facade instead of the truly ugly awning.

Honestly, this is reminiscent of Mickeys Birthdayland.
On the contrary-- USO actually IS a studio theme park and is used for filming. It is what it always was designed to be, a showcase of a variety of movie themed attractions all connected by an overarching studio theme. Unlike DHS which has evolved into nothing but a theme park, USO is utilized for outside productions.

I love it!! Just the right amount of tackiness! Gotta say people expect too much some times.

USF will always be a studios park even if they don’t have the old “how to make Movie” shows anymore. It’s in the title of the park and there are city facades like you would see in the backlot of universal Studios in Hollywood. Plus, if they are going to have illumination and dreamworks areas, seems like they want the studio theme to stick around in some form.

On the contrary-- USO actually IS a studio theme park and is used for filming. It is what it always was designed to be, a showcase of a variety of movie themed attractions all connected by an overarching studio theme. Unlike DHS which has evolved into nothing but a theme park, USO is utilized for outside productions.
I always think this is a pretty flimsy premise. But the main issue is that it's impossible to move the soundstages out of the midway. I don't care about an overarching "studio" park theme, just whether something is good looking or not.