Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion | Page 38 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess is it will be a waterproof band. Maybe display the time, maybe not. Maybe beep 5 minutes before your scheduled ride, maybe not. You will be able to enter the virtual queues via kiosks around the park or your smart phone. I believe you will be able to schedule several all at once making the trip back to your locker or kiosk it worth it. I think there will be a time window, probably 30 minutes, but I can see as short as 15 minutes. If I had to guess I would say that 2 hours after park opening if a queue has consistently been below 10 minutes they may turn virtual queuing off for that ride. So basically you can just get in line. If waits become bad again they turn on queuing. But honestly this is pretty complex, so not sure they will do that. My guess is the scanning machines would be at the beginning of the line so that prevents people from walking all the way up to realize they had the wrong time. They can easily do this for a water park. Keep in mind some things won't be on virtual queuing. Wave Pool, Lazy rivers (2), and kiddie areas. So there will be enough space (especially with 2 lazy rivers) that virtual queuing would work. Think on a normal water park day how many people are in line and how much open space is available in all those other areas. Plus this park will have an extra lazy river. I also think they may have better food options than a traditional water park.

A band with a RFID chip is going to be fairly cheap and I can see them using that maybe but I don't expect anything else to be on a band as it would cost far too much.

A band with a RFID chip is going to be fairly cheap and I can see them using that maybe but I don't expect anything else to be on a band as it would cost far too much.

Keep in mind they may require a deposit and require them to be returned. Which means they could spend more on them then Disney does on Magic Bands. Because they will need less of them. So while I agree with you there is a 95% chance it is probably a simple band. But they could surprise us with a little more options on the band. The simple solution is a simple RFID band that is cheap and requires no deposit and put clocks everywhere.

Aquatica and Adventure Island use simple, waterproof style RFID bands. Not sure what kind, but wouldn't be shocked if they are from the company listed by @Disneyhead.

Keep in mind they may require a deposit and require them to be returned. Which means they could spend more on them then Disney does on Magic Bands. Because they will need less of them. So while I agree with you there is a 95% chance it is probably a simple band. But they could surprise us with a little more options on the band. The simple solution is a simple RFID band that is cheap and requires no deposit and put clocks everywhere.

I think there would be a massive inconvenience with paying a deposit, especially if you're in a hurry to leave the park and have to collect your deposit when your drop the bands off.

Having a band allows a lot of potential though, especially in a water park if you'll be able to order food and drink without the need for a wallet. Whether you add a credit to your band when you enter the park or however they want to do it.

True, though often you have to return your locker key. Then, I wouldn't surprise me if they go with the same system as Aquatica where you rent your locker electronically.

Paying a deposit, then getting it back could create 2 remarkably long lines to stand in. That would kind of defeat the whole purpose.

Agreed. They could do something for free (here is this cheap band) or you can upgrade it and get this cool band that does x, y, and z. It could be something you purchase or rent based on if you plan on going back. So AP holders could purchase it and keep it where a day pass person could rent it for a small fee (like lockers). Since most people get lockers and have to return those, I imagine the same type of people would rent the bands. Therefore the line would be the same. As others said though, it would be better to do an electronic system for lockers so no returning of keys needed.

I would love it one of the features was adding your CC so that you can use it for food. I hate going back to my locker just to get food.

Reactions: Mad Dog
I imagine the system to be very simple. Everyone gets a basic disposable wrist band with and RFID chip in it. You then walk up to a kiosk at the front of an attraction and it simply gives you a time window to return and enter the line. Once that time comes you scan the wristband at the entrance and walk in. You can check your line admission times on any kiosk in the park. There would also be kiosks located near the locker rental that let you add a credit card for purchases to the wrist band.

Basically but no FP+.
Yea, fastpass plus just created longer standby lines. Universal already experienced that problem about 15 years ago. Express Pass is a true front of the line pass. I've never waited in lines like I did at WDW with fastpass plus lines. Plus it's the greatest of perks for the three deluxe resorts, and an excellent marketing tool to sell rooms. And they make a few extra bucks from the regular guests who purchase them daily.

Yea, fastpass plus just created longer standby lines. Universal already experienced that problem about 15 years ago. Express Pass is a true front of the line pass. I've never waited in lines like I did at WDW with fastpass plus lines. Plus it's the greatest of perks for the three deluxe resorts, and an excellent marketing tool to sell rooms. And they make a few extra bucks from the regular guests who purchase them daily.
Express pass only cuts your wait time in half on average. If USF pulled even close to the crowds that MK gets, Express would be a mess too.

Basically but no FP+.
Interesting you bring this up. I just received a survey from Universal asking if I've ever used a number of tech devices, one of them being Magic Bands, plus a couple of other things using similar technology.......I also received a second survey but it was marked confidential and not permitted to divulge the subject matter.

Interesting you bring this up. I just received a survey from Universal asking if I've ever used a number of tech devices, one of them being Magic Bands, plus a couple of other things using similar technology.......I also received a second survey but it was marked confidential and not permitted to divulge the subject matter.
I received the one that mentioned MagicBands as well.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Status
Not open for further replies.