Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Volcano Bay Pricing, AP, & More

In case anybody is ever wondering the process to pick up your annual pass it's not difficult but if you do not get there early you will have to wait. I just picked up my annual pass in about 40 minutes I'll say I'm going to go back to the car and do the free parking

We were planning on upgrading our passes before any of the official information came out but since then we have decided against doing so. We have Premier passes and paying an extra $50 on top of the $99 just to avoid any blackout dates ( in July no less when it's a zoo) just wasn't appealing to us.

Branding this a '3rd Theme Park' but not give the same benefits UO already has at the existing theme parks (Express access after 4pm at select attractions) with the Premier was another no go from us on upgrading the passes. I get it's new so maybe they will add it on later but for now it just seems odd.

I'll wait until employee tickets are not blocked to go see it for a day but just wanted to share my thoughts on why one pass holder family isn't going to be upgrading. Anyone else feel the same?

I very much doubt I'll upgrade, for though it is just $99 now, come next renewal it is the entire pass that must be renewed, so that would just be too much money for me.

We were planning on upgrading our passes before any of the official information came out but since then we have decided against doing so. We have Premier passes and paying an extra $50 on top of the $99 just to avoid any blackout dates ( in July no less when it's a zoo) just wasn't appealing to us.

Branding this a '3rd Theme Park' but not give the same benefits UO already has at the existing theme parks (Express access after 4pm at select attractions) with the Premier was another no go from us on upgrading the passes. I get it's new so maybe they will add it on later but for now it just seems odd.

I'll wait until employee tickets are not blocked to go see it for a day but just wanted to share my thoughts on why one pass holder family isn't going to be upgrading. Anyone else feel the same?

I'm a preferred APH so I can't feel the same. The premiere pass was never a fit for us because the perks weren't worth it. We are DEFINITELY upgrading our passes because they just renewed so we will have the full year of VB. We will also be keeping it as a 3-park pass next year.

Very sad to say but I'm in a similar but probably worse mindset. I'm preferred with my daughters being Power. If they hadn't just made all the increases and changes to the passes I probably would be much more interested in upgrading our passes. Add to that my youngest son (almost 1!!) not being able to really do anything but Barney (which I can't believe it was great and the closest thing I've seen to Disney Magic at Universal), we will be likely not be renewing our passes on the next go around. Maybe when Nintendo opens we'll think about it again.
Overall, I feel like ticket prices have been increasing too quickly (increase on top of grandfathering ending), the perks have been decreasing (discounts not as good and concerts being very weak on top of charging for them now), and not being terribly excited about the rides that are coming in the near future.

And have we mentioned these are the Express participating slides?

10 Participating Locations
  • Ko’okiri Body Plunge™
  • Kala & Tai Nui Serpentine Body Slides™
  • Honu ika Moana™
  • Taniwha Tubes
  • Maku Puihi Round Raft Rides™
  • Punga Racers™
  • Ohyah and Ohno Drop Slides™

Hmm, they included the word "Moana" in one of their names, they might end up having to change that if Disney sees it. I don't know how airtight Disney's copyright is on that word, if it can also be a generic Polynesian language word.

Hmm, they included the word "Moana" in one of their names, they might end up having to change that if Disney sees it. I don't know how airtight Disney's copyright is on that word, if it can also be a generic Polynesian language word.
This isn't the name of an animated character, so I think they're fine. It could also be considered generic like what you said.

Warning: nerdy info incoming....

Words cannot be "copyrighted," only trademarked. And common nouns cannot be trademarked on their own.

If Universal released an animated feature film by the name "Moana" they could be infringing. But anything barring that should be perfectly legal.

I still think Disney might have a case here, because they're using the word Moana as part of a proper noun, a trademarked name of something. I guess it's up to the lawyers.

I still think Disney might have a case here, because they're using the word Moana as part of a proper noun, a trademarked name of something. I guess it's up to the lawyers.
Well if they have a case with that one they'll also have a case with one of Universals other trademarks, "Frozen Butterbeer".

For the most part a trademark is only good within the same industry.

Universal cannot make an animated film called Moana about a princess, because Disney has already.

Disney cannot make a soap named "Moana" because Bath and Bodyworks owns the TM on that already. MOANA Trademark - Registration Number 3455531 - Serial Number 78846954 :: Justia Trademarks

No one but "Seresin Estate Limited" can make wine named Moana because they registered for that industry first. MOANA Trademark of Seresin Estate Limited - Registration Number 4055103 - Serial Number 85147599 :: Justia Trademarks

Etc. etc, for 79 different categories of services for the word Moana.

And to get really specific, Disney only owns the trademark for the term "DISNEY MOANA," and not Moana on its own. DISNEY MOANA Trademark Application of Disney Enterprises, Inc. - Serial Number 86453776 :: Justia Trademarks

They have trademarked "DISNEY MOANA" in more than 50 service and product categories (none of which are water slides.)

EDIT: Sorry for the info dump. I've been involved in legal situations regarding infringements on my own marks in the past. As long as Universal doesn't cause any brand confusion between their slide and the Disney film they'll be fine. Like if they have a cartoon princess character on the sign for the slide they may get in some trouble. But barring that they'll be just fine. The word means water in this case.

Last edited:
For the most part a trademark is only good within the same industry.

Universal cannot make an animated film called Moana about a princess, because Disney has already.

Disney cannot make a soap named "Moana" because Bath and Bodyworks owns the TM on that already. MOANA Trademark - Registration Number 3455531 - Serial Number 78846954 :: Justia Trademarks

No one but "Seresin Estate Limited" can make wine named Moana because they registered for that industry first. MOANA Trademark of Seresin Estate Limited - Registration Number 4055103 - Serial Number 85147599 :: Justia Trademarks

Etc. etc, for 79 different categories of services for the word Moana.

And to get really specific, Disney only owns the trademark for the term "DISNEY MOANA," and not Moana on its own. DISNEY MOANA Trademark Application of Disney Enterprises, Inc. - Serial Number 86453776 :: Justia Trademarks

They have trademarked "DISNEY MOANA" in more than 50 service and product categories (none of which are water slides.)

EDIT: Sorry for the info dump. I've been involved in legal situations regarding infringements on my own marks in the past. As long as Universal doesn't cause any brand confusion between their slide and the Disney film they'll be fine. Like if they have a cartoon princess character on the sign for the slide they may get in some trouble. But barring that they'll be just fine. The word means water in this case.

I was going to respond but Alicia explained it perfectly!

I've been checking the website for Portofino Bay hotel and it still shows this under "Benefits":

Perks And Privileges Of Staying At Loews Portofino Bay Hotel
Skip The Regular Theme Park Lines

When you stay at select Preferred and Premier on-site hotels, you’ll get a free* Universal Express Unlimited™ pass to skip the regular lines at participating rides and attractions in Universal Studios Florida™, Universal’s Islands of Adventure™ and Universal's Volcano Bay (opening early summer 2017). That’s a value of up to $89^ per person, per day. Valid theme park admission required.

Early Park Admission† To The Wizarding World of Harry Potter™
Enjoy Early Park Admission to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter™ and Universal’s Volcano Bay™ (opening early summer 2017) one hour before the theme park opens to the public when you stay at this on-site hotel. Valid theme park admission required.

I wonder if this content is going to be changed?
The Benefits for PBH have been updated (sadly):
Perks And Privileges Of Staying At Loews Portofino Bay Hotel

Skip The Regular Theme Park Lines
When you stay at Loews Portofino Bay Hotel, you'll receive a free* Universal Express Unlimited™ pass to skip the regular lines at participating rides and attractions at Universal Studios Florida™ and Universal's Islands of Adventure™. That's a value of up to $89^ per person, per day. Valid theme park admission required.

What would happen if you get to the park at 12, and the slide you wanted o ride has no time slots? Would you not be able to ride it that day?

Yes. When I found out volcano Bay was just $67 somehow I must have missed that information but we decided not to upgrade the hundred and $50 because we probably won't go more than once plus even if we went more than once there are no perks for volcano Bay so It did not make any sense

What would happen if you get to the park at 12, and the slide you wanted o ride has no time slots? Would you not be able to ride it that day?

Pretty sure the park has a cap.

Thats an interesting factor that I hadn't really thought about before. Water slides have an insanely low capacity. At least the single rider slides. Proslide shows their skybox drop slides like the volcano ones, having a theoretical 20 second dispatch time. Thats 180 riders per hour and even on a 13 hour park day thats only 2340 riders. I think that 20 seconds is fair for a quick slide like the straight drop one, but the twisty ones I suspect will be even worse as I assume they will make the previous rider is clear before dispatching the next. What will the daily park cap be? Granted, the Volcano ones will be avoided by a lot of guests, so that will help with capacity issues. They also aren't on the tapu list. But to tie this to the original Question, are there any single rider slides on tapu? If there is, the scenario where you arrive at noon and a ride's queue being full is a possibility. Also could mean that you go to tapu for a ride and be virtually in line for hours.