Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Volcano Bay Pricing, AP, & More

The Benefits for PBH have been updated (sadly):
Perks And Privileges Of Staying At Loews Portofino Bay Hotel

Skip The Regular Theme Park Lines
When you stay at Loews Portofino Bay Hotel, you'll receive a free* Universal Express Unlimited™ pass to skip the regular lines at participating rides and attractions at Universal Studios Florida™ and Universal's Islands of Adventure™. That's a value of up to $89^ per person, per day. Valid theme park admission required.
I just went to the Portofino Bay website on Loweshotels.com

It's saying that all hotels at Universal get the early HP + VB admission, while just the original 3 resorts (Portofino, Hard Rock, Royal Pacific) get Universal Express.

For the most part a trademark is only good within the same industry.

Universal cannot make an animated film called Moana about a princess, because Disney has already.

Disney cannot make a soap named "Moana" because Bath and Bodyworks owns the TM on that already. MOANA Trademark - Registration Number 3455531 - Serial Number 78846954 :: Justia Trademarks

No one but "Seresin Estate Limited" can make wine named Moana because they registered for that industry first. MOANA Trademark of Seresin Estate Limited - Registration Number 4055103 - Serial Number 85147599 :: Justia Trademarks

Etc. etc, for 79 different categories of services for the word Moana.

And to get really specific, Disney only owns the trademark for the term "DISNEY MOANA," and not Moana on its own. DISNEY MOANA Trademark Application of Disney Enterprises, Inc. - Serial Number 86453776 :: Justia Trademarks

They have trademarked "DISNEY MOANA" in more than 50 service and product categories (none of which are water slides.)

EDIT: Sorry for the info dump. I've been involved in legal situations regarding infringements on my own marks in the past. As long as Universal doesn't cause any brand confusion between their slide and the Disney film they'll be fine. Like if they have a cartoon princess character on the sign for the slide they may get in some trouble. But barring that they'll be just fine. The word means water in this case.

I'll bet one of Disney's trademarked categories is theme parks though. But true, if Disney's trademark is really Disney Moana, then as long as they don't include the word Disney it would be ok.

I'll bet one of Disney's trademarked categories is theme parks though. But true, if Disney's trademark is really Disney Moana, then as long as they don't include the word Disney it would be ok.

Kind of similar to how rock n rollercoaster is trade marked in the theme park category, but there are plenty of rides in america with rollercoaster in the name (I'm assuming)

Probably not. They aren't at Cabana Bay (or any of the other water parks as far as I know.)

They are allowed at the CBBR lazy river if you get the special "no spill" cup. It is a plastic cup with a flip straw; it came with the strawberry jalapeno margarita at Hideaway and can be used over and over. And over.

They are allowed at the CBBR lazy river if you get the special "no spill" cup. It is a plastic cup with a flip straw; it came with the strawberry jalapeno margarita at Hideaway and can be used over and over. And over.
This is important information. I spent most of my time at the other pool so didn't realize that. Also, strawberry jalapeño sounds either like the most amazing or the most gross thing ever and I want it.

This is important information. I spent most of my time at the other pool so didn't realize that. Also, strawberry jalapeño sounds either like the most amazing or the most gross thing ever and I want it.

Haha! Here's a pic of it (ours are clear, though):
cabana_poolcup.jpg

The strawberry jalapeno margarita was on the chalkboard as a special, but surely they can make it any time... :D

And, you can float around sipping on 'em all day. :)

cabana_poolcup.jpg

The strawberry jalapeno margarita was on the chalkboard as a special, but surely they can make it any time... :D

I actually got one of those at the other bar at the other pool with my pina colada. Was wondering why they used grown up sized sippy cups for mixed drinks. All makes sense now.

cabana_poolcup.jpg

I think you got the new and improved one, I got the blue one and you can't suck through the straw as it does not "breathe" Had to drill a hole under the sliding cover to let air in but it works now!

Is there even an AP for just Universal Studios or Islands of Adventure? If not it wouldn't make sense from a marketing perspective to have one just for Volcano Bay.

officially posted cabana rental prices: Universal Orlando
View attachment 4114
We just booked the premium seating on opening day - it cost 69.99 USD for the double lounger with umbrella. They gave a choice of two locations rainforest village and wave village.
After more discussion river village was mentioned too and that was the location we booked.

Last edited:
I'm trying to weigh up VB express pass benefits, vs the Tapu Tapu approach. I'm guessing that they may need to limit the number of people registered in each time slot, so that there is still some benefit to buying a VB express pass and entering the queue as a walk up. Also I've not been able to find out from the UO website how many tapu tapu reservations you can hold at any one time. Does anybody have more details on this or wisdom to share? Thanks in advance.