Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Walkway from MK to Grand Floridian

Jan 1, 2012
I'm pretty sure this has been know for awhile, but a permit was filed today for the construction of the walkway from the Grand Floridian to Magic Kingdom, so I'd imagine work will be starting soon, if it hasn't already:

xgU86tw.png

I'm pretty sure this has been know for awhile, but a permit was filed today for the construction of the walkway from the Grand Floridian to Magic Kingdom, so I'd imagine work will be starting soon, if it hasn't already:

xgU86tw.png
We've already waited this long.

xgU86tw.png

We've already waited this long.
They’re currently removing the Bricks along that path and repaving. I don’t think this has anything to do with connecting to the actual GF.

Last edited:
They’re currently removing the Bricks along that path and repaving. I don’t think this has anything to do with connecting to the actual GF.

Eh, I'm not so sure. For starters, the permit is titled "Grand Floridian to ..." indicating that the walkway will start at the Grand Floridian. The existing walkway starts at Magic Kingdom, so it would be kind of weird if it was referred to as the "Grand Floridian to MK Walkway"

Additionally, this is a "Large Construction" permit, meaning it will disturb more than 5 acres of land. Even drawing a VERY generous boundary around the path still barely yields 4.5 acres, so I'd be very surprised if they were disturbing that much land in that area just to remove the commemorative pavers and repave a path.

i5V8vZh.png

The permit application should be uploaded into the system by the end of next week, so when that happens we'll know exactly how many acres this project will disturb, so that will hopefully indicate whether or not this will connect all the way.

Eh, I'm not so sure. For starters, the permit is titled "Grand Floridian to ..." indicating that the walkway will start at the Grand Floridian. The existing walkway starts at Magic Kingdom, so it would be kind of weird if it was referred to as the "Grand Floridian to MK Walkway"

Additionally, this is a "Large Construction" permit, meaning it will disturb more than 5 acres of land. Even drawing a VERY generous boundary around the path still barely yields 4.5 acres, so I'd be very surprised if they were disturbing that much land in that area just to remove the commemorative pavers and repave a path.

i5V8vZh.png

The permit application should be uploaded into the system by the end of next week, so when that happens we'll know exactly how many acres this project will disturb, so that will hopefully indicate whether or not this will connect all the way.
Is there a path already where you outlined and the sat images aren't updated yet?

There's been a path there for like 20+ years, it's just kind of hard to see because I've outlined an area way larger than it to illustrate how big 5 acres is.

Here's a better image:
eDF977u.png

Yup. It was always intended to connect to GF though.
Financed by the sale of those blocks to create a 3 mile "Walkway Around the World", which was never completed. It cost too much to build the bridges and figure out what to do along World Drive, so they built parts but never connected things.

The new bridge at the canal will be able to open to allow the Water Pageant to get in and out each night as well as allow the steam boat to be pulled to the dry dock in Bay Lake.

Unfortunately ... I worry about the Electric Water Pageant. Will require a drawbridge to keep going.
There’s no reason to worry about the water pageant. They need a drawbridge regardless of the water pageant. The MK boats still have to go through there to get to the dry dock for refurbs.

There’s no reason to worry about the water pageant. They need a drawbridge regardless of the water pageant. The MK boats still have to go through there to get to the dry dock for refurbs.

Apparently the bridge will be operated by the Watercraft department. They will coordinate bringing the barges in and out for the Water Pageant each night.

Win all around then. A necessary safety valve when monorails down/overwhelmed, a scenic walking/jogging trail otherwise.