Walt Disney World Tech News & Discussion- Magic Bands, Genie+, and more | Page 28 | Inside Universal Forums

Walt Disney World Tech News & Discussion- Magic Bands, Genie+, and more

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The general public primarily aren't hard core theme park fans who spend a good proportion of their life monitoring fan sites. Someone going on a vacation shouldn't be expected to immerse themselves in every little detail of the nuances of that trip. It's up to the corporation running these theme parks to keep it simple, and easily understandable, so the average family can have an enjoyable vacation, in return for the big bucks they are spending. Disney's over complicated, and often confusing agenda, is the problem, not 'stupid guests', which is a term that shouldn't even be used.....Genie plus is so complicated that even some theme park bloggers have problems understanding, and explaining, it's usage.

I completely agree with what you're saying with the exception that I do see people do stupid things while on vacation. It's like they parked their brains with the car at the airport and left. The app, the added costs, and everything going on with Disney right now does not present an image of a company that understands its customers. Yet, the parks are still packed and the hotels booked solid. So, what do I know?

Reactions: Ron101
I completely agree with what you're saying with the exception that I do see people do stupid things while on vacation. It's like they parked their brains with the car at the airport and left. The app, the added costs, and everything going on with Disney right now does not present an image of a company that understands its customers. Yet, the parks are still packed and the hotels booked solid. So, what do I know?
Yup. Parks are still slammed and hotels expensive like you said. Honestly don’t think it matters what the company does as people keep coming anyways. Even those complaining about the changes… still visiting anyways.

Reactions: SkiBum
I haven't been to Disney and still would like to go one day but even I feel lost sometimes reading up on this stuff. Or thinking how much planning I would have to do for each day before I even get there. Looking at wait times on the app it doesn't look like I'd be able to ride all the rides I want most days in a park. Hollywood Studios queues look very busy in the app.

Between Genie, Genie+, Lightning Lanes, individual lanes, etc... it seems like it can be too much.

Reactions: Mad Dog
I haven't been to Disney and still would like to go one day but even I feel lost sometimes reading up on this stuff. Or thinking how much planning I would have to do for each day before I even get there. Looking at wait times on the app it doesn't look like I'd be able to ride all the rides I want most days in a park. Hollywood Studios queues look very busy in the app.

Between Genie, Genie+, Lightning Lanes, individual lanes, etc... it seems like it can be too much.

I wouldn't say too much, per se. Expectations might have to be set where you go in with a plan regarding what your "must rides" are versus "want to" and then making plans. The app is messy but, if I can figure it out, you should be able to. Also, plenty of sites have a lot of information on how to use Genie+. It just messes with your day and planning.

The main problem is that all that BS takes the fun and spontaniety out of a vacation....Probably worst for us tourists than it is for the locals & AP people that can go quite often.

A lot less guests tour the parks commando than you would think. Didn't we learn at some point that guest satisfaction is at decent levels at or around experiencing just 3 attractions in a day? Crazy that anyone would think that would be worth the price of admission we've seen over the past few years but apparently it's why FastPass worked well in it's previous incarnation since apparently those were some of the only attractions guests were experiencing.

The over complicated Genie Plus is crack cocaine for those who vacation with their faces in their phones 24/7. Those management techies that dominate Disney now have really ruined the vacation experience. I like my vacations to be leisurely, relaxing and spontaneous. Techies live in a different world. I always thought the aim of a theme park vacation was to get away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. I guess Disney management thinks otherwise.

The over complicated Genie Plus is crack cocaine for those who vacation with their faces in their phones 24/7. Those management techies that dominate Disney now have really ruined the vacation experience. I like my vacations to be leisurely, relaxing and spontaneous. Techies live in a different world. I always thought the aim of a theme park vacation was to get away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. I guess Disney management thinks otherwise.
so correct. Every other park has a system that works to a certain extent. If you want a skip the lone experience then you can pay and get the same experience for most rides. Disney is trying to have their cake and eat it too. They can’t offer a fast lane/flash pass experience because too many people would pay the money and standby would be 309 min, but they are charging a just low enough price to entice people on saving time. Which is not a very good experience for those who pay. They should just go to standby only.

so correct. Every other park has a system that works to a certain extent. If you want a skip the lone experience then you can pay and get the same experience for most rides. Disney is trying to have their cake and eat it too. They can’t offer a fast lane/flash pass experience because too many people would pay the money and standby would be 309 min, but they are charging a just low enough price to entice people on saving time. Which is not a very good experience for those who pay. They should just go to standby only.

I don't care what anyone says. People accept standby without question, especially since most Disney ride lines move pretty quickly. Prior to Genie+, the crowds were returning and the lines were still easily manageable. Now? Not so much. I've used FastLane at Cedar Fair and UNI Express and neither of those impact the park experience so detrimentally as Genie+/FP+.

I don't care what anyone says. People accept standby without question, especially since most Disney ride lines move pretty quickly. Prior to Genie+, the crowds were returning and the lines were still easily manageable. Now? Not so much. I've used FastLane at Cedar Fair and UNI Express and neither of those impact the park experience so detrimentally as Genie+/FP+.
I would much rather a cost-prohibitive skip the line pass with less capacity than a skip the line pass at a price point most guests can stomach, if it means not having up to 90% of capacity going to "skip the line" passes.

They can’t offer a fast lane/flash pass experience because too many people would pay the money and standby would be 309 min, but they are charging a just low enough price to entice people on saving time. Which is not a very good experience for those who pay. They should just go to standby only.
They can make an skip the line system work and manage the impact pretty easy. Here is how I would envision it, 4 options one for each park. The skip the line option would give you a 1 time skip for each attraction offered. You implement a hard cap on the number sold for each park. They can adjust the price for pass to get it where they either sell out later in the day or come in very close to their cap number. This system gives Disney the ability to control where people go by not allowing them to use the pass over and over on the same popular rides while giving the guest the ability to decided when they want to ride certain attractions. It should also self police the size of the fast pass line. If people see fast pass for slinky is 20mins they will probably wait until it is lower. Disney is a premium product, make your line skipper a premium product too.

I am so glad I went in September. All rides (except 7 dawrfs 20mins, rise 40mins, smugglers 15mins, frozen 40mins, navi 30mins (was broken majority of day)) were walk-ons for our 4 days at Disney.

It's funny because Busch and SeaWorld have relatively the same system, it's just not digital, and it works incredibly well

The amount of people using the single use option for Cheetah Hunt is staggering and I'm sure that coaster makes bank

It's funny because Busch and SeaWorld have relatively the same system, it's just not digital, and it works incredibly well

The amount of people using the single use option for Cheetah Hunt is staggering and I'm sure that coaster makes bank
When I went a few weeks ago I found out individual Quick Queue is gone at BGT. I specifically wanted one for Cheetah Hunt, (something I had never done before,) but they only offer all day all ride Quick Queue now.

Reactions: shiekra38
So just some information I can report from two separate trips from out of state family members. My aunt and cousin (on one side of the family) and then my Uncle and his family (on the other side of the family). Both used Genie+ on their recent trips and I helped them out with some basics and after their trips asked them if it was worth it and both said it was. So clearly the general public who is doesn't normally come to Disney (this was the first time for my 60 y/o uncle and my Aunt hadn't been in awhile).

Although they did say how tiring it was though and stressful that you couldn't buy it until the morning of, so... (of course they were only there for one day and trying to cram everything in as much as possible).

Reactions: HandsomePete
The notion that you generally should buy it between midnight and 7am (if not pre-bundled) and wake up at 6:55 to start making selections still baffles me as a thing people are willing to accept.

Removing one of the ILL attractions certainly helped a bit, but there’s potential for big changes in the near future.

Wow. Seems to imply Disney's been dealing with lots of guest complaints. There's no other great explanation for why they would be trying to discourage guests from giving them money.

Ultimately a good thing if that's the case, because it might force them to rethink the path they've chosen with Genie+. Might.

Reactions: Mad Dog