Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

WaterWorld

Jon Fu

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus
Jul 26, 2010
California
Surprised we haven't had a dedicated thread to this show yet.

Anyway, I found this post on the web from an actor in the show. A bit disheartening to know they're still using rather old equipment for mission-critical show components. I've changed the wording to protect its original author:

The jet-skis run horribly. The hulls are all screwed up from the ramps and wall crashes. The motors are in bad condition and they are stock. The only mod: 2 bilge pumps. Sometimes the skis sink because they take on more water then they can spill out. It's almost a constant battle and Universal says there is no money. When a jet-ski breaks down during the show, one has to to improvise. I've seen it happen many times, and there's nothing worse then trying to restart a jet-ski with 2500 people watching, and it still sputters and won't start.

I just don't understand skimping out on such a vital element of the show. After all, their front-entrance displays seem to boast about the specially modified jet-skis they put in place.

And you're right Miss B. I've seen the jet-skis fail numerous times during the show. It's an awkward spectacle, that's for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those displays have been there since shortly after the show opened I believe. And the in show jet skis are old too! As long as it's not a direct safety hazard, they won't replace it. Of course, ANYTHING in that show going even a fraction of a second off can be a direct safety hazard for the performers. It's especially troubling in the high peak season when you have upwards of 9 shows a day, and two different teams using the same equipment, 7 days a week...well, you get the idea.

Relative to everything else, aren't jet-skis a minor investment? After all, I still couldn't imagine Universal skimping on something like this...

Today I saw what you meant about problems with the jet ski's. During the show where mariner needs to get back on his ski, it failed to start back up. Luckily it seemed they had a routine ready in case this happens. "Tiny" gets back out of the water to fight the mariner again after that the mariner goes after the jet skier and commandeers his jet ski and the show continues. Also unfortunatly the show I went to the Sea Plane didn't crash the show.

I have to hand it to the people who warm up the crowd. Its usually the same routine but there was one who likes to pick on guests who arrive late and squirt them with the water gun while they're walking to their seats. Also he sprays anyone who get up from their seats. It was really a good laugh seeing these guests freak out when they get soaked at random. Others try to run passed him while one memorable moment was with these group of teens. One of them shouted to him and said "hey squirt this guy!" Pointing to his friend next to him. The performer points to his "supposed victim" and says "you mean this guy?" He then sprays him instead of his friend. Good times =)

Today I saw what you meant about problems with the jet ski's. During the show where mariner needs to get back on his ski, it failed to start back up. Luckily it seemed they had a routine ready in case this happens. "Tiny" gets back out of the water to fight the mariner again after that the mariner goes after the jet skier and commandeers his jet ski and the show continues. Also unfortunatly the show I went to the Sea Plane didn't crash the show.
They're definitely creative, but I hope they get some improvements with their equipment soon. Problems seem to be occurring more frequently now.

A special performance of WaterWorld from 1999. Anyone notice the differences?

https://www.youtube.com/embed/5LBqCtbiCpo?feature=oembed
Woow well it's pretty much the same... there are some differences, one notably is there is one less stunt which is the guy in the water skiis. But overall what they changed is that they removed a lot of the cheesy jokes. They also made it flow better removing that part in which they dunk the guy first in the toxic material and then release him free fall. I think that was a good change. And why was it a special performance by the way?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been told by Show Control and Attraction lead member that WaterWorld is not to go due to the immense popularity of the show. (Which is pretty obvious). They are aware of the Evolution Plan, and have no plans at this time to get rid of the attraction. Gibson can fit the actual attraction and Hogsmeade in some fashion as told. The UC team are planning for HP, and told me they showed it to very few top lead employees.