WDW Resorts - Update & Rumor Thread | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

WDW Resorts - Update & Rumor Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I walked past the Poly today and they have cleared out most of the rooms between GCH and Luau Cove. It looks to me like they are setting up air locks on the end of the buildings, which I assume is asbestos removal/abatement. I can't imagine why in 1970/71 they were still using asbestos, but MK seems to be filled with it in the original hotels, the tunnels, central shops, etc., which means any remodel is more costly and involved with the removal process.
Asbestos was used in building materials until the 1980’s. Late 60’s/Early 70’s makes total sense.

I walked past the Poly today and they have cleared out most of the rooms between GCH and Luau Cove. It looks to me like they are setting up air locks on the end of the buildings, which I assume is asbestos removal/abatement. I can't imagine why in 1970/71 they were still using asbestos, but MK seems to be filled with it in the original hotels, the tunnels, central shops, etc., which means any remodel is more costly and involved with the removal process.
Asbestos was used in building materials until the 1980’s. Late 60’s/Early 70’s makes total sense.
Asbestos was sprayed on steel beams as a fire retardant and you know who built the place to start.
Might be floor tile being removed and they still had lead paint in the 70's

Reactions: Grabnar
Asbestos was sprayed on steel beams as a fire retardant and you know who built the place to start.
Might be floor tile being removed and they still had lead paint in the 70's
If we're being honest, what the Poly really need is to be fully demolished (minus the GCH and pool area). The ceilings are way too low and if they are going to spend all this money on a redo of the rooms, might as well go all the way and make the rooms up to 2020 expectations. They'll never truly be up to those expectations as long as the ceilings remain at the low height that they are.

^ and as long as they (like the Contemporary) are the prefab rooms, they're stuck with them without a complete demolition.

Reactions: Nick
I just stayed at Poly this past weekend. Got to take advantage of the resort launch boats since the monorail was down and it was honestly a really nice way to get to MK. Never used them before. It even stopped at Grand Floridian which only took an extra minute.

I was in Moorea for the first time. Is it sad that I never realized just HOW close the TTC is? It's literally feet away. If you're staying in the part of the hotel, I'd imagine it's quicker to walk to that monorail than it would be to grab it from GCH.

Reactions: SeventyOne

Asbestos was used well into the 70's, maybe even up until 1980. Asbestos brakes were still made in the 90's. That stuff was virtually indestructible (except for the obvious significant health issues).

Reactions: RevFreako
On a side note, how is this resort to stay in? I'm looking for somewhere for the WDW marathon weekend 2022 (assuming it's happening) and was thinking about staying here or at Coronado; thoughts?

Reactions: MrBlonde
I like the Mickey slide, but I don't really get how it thematically fits with the hotel whereas I at least get how the clown fit. Wasn't it supposed to be a Coney Island theme or something? That aside, this is still an upgrade. That clown was... something.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I like the Mickey slide, but I don't really get how it thematically fits with the hotel whereas I at least get how the clown fit. Wasn't it supposed to be a Coney Island theme or something? That aside, this is still an upgrade. That clown was... something.

That's where I am now too. Especially since the style is the modern Mickey vs a vintage design.

I think it's supposed to be a nod to the Coney Island Cyclone, it just doesn't succeed at that.

Reactions: Mad Dog
lol, when looking to book a dvc rental, we avoided Boardwalk because of that clown.

How many kids got nightmares from that clown?

"Think this will scare the kids?"

"The kids? This will give the parents nightmares"

That would have been my wife's reaction to the clown slide. She doesn't like clowns to begin with and that thing was freaky. Mickey is far more friendly.

Reactions: fryoj and Mad Dog
I just stayed at Wilderness Lodge for the first time which I've always dreamt of staying for the holidays. It was awesome.

The Christmas tree in the lobby is even more stunning than I could have anticipated. The christmas decor all over was really impressive.