What does Jurassic Park need? | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

What does Jurassic Park need?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Correct. And my argument is that if something like that can get green lighted for Jurassic Park, I don't see how a well integrated mine train style family coaster would be seen as obnoxious.

Concept art for a hyper coaster in JP? Oh please do. :lol:

I've come to the conclusion that while posting concept art would be incredibly inappropriate, there is no harm in at least providing proof that such a concept did exist.

AGAIN - BEFORE YOU GET EXCITED - This concept has been canceled a long time ago and WILL NOT be happening. Trust me, no one's more disappointed in that than me, but so is the nature of the business!

niagraproof.jpg

Because JP is too kiddie-fied as it is. Go put a family coaster in Suess Landing.

Because Seuss Landing isn't "kiddie-fied"? The entire idea behind Suess Landing was to provide an area that was kid friendly - but at the same time providing an area where Mommy and Daddy could share the experiences with their child. Cat, Fish, Caro-Seuss-sel, and Trolley all fit that bill. What reasoning do you have to further saturate the shadeless island of Seuss Landing with a wacked out family coaster?

Speaking for kid's of my brother's age who seek thrills but can't make it on rides like Doom and Hulk because of his height, I'm almost positive that riding the "family coaster" in Seuss would be almost as embarrassing to them as ordering off the kids menu at a restaurant. Jurassic Park is the perfect canvas for an attraction that has a serious and involving storyline that's more of a step-up from the stuff in Seuss. Not everybody wants to get wet, and while River Adventure is pretty accessible to most kids, an accompanying dry ride (IE: a roller coaster) of the same caliber seems like a smart move to me, and gives even more of a reason to visit the attraction-starved island.

Because Seuss Landing isn't "kiddie-fied"? The entire idea behind Suess Landing was to provide an area that was kid friendly - but at the same time providing an area where Mommy and Daddy could share the experiences with their child. Cat, Fish, Caro-Seuss-sel, and Trolley all fit that bill. What reasoning do you have to further saturate the shadeless island of Seuss Landing with a wacked out family coaster?

Speaking for kid's of my brother's age who seek thrills but can't make it on rides like Doom and Hulk because of his height, I'm almost positive that riding the "family coaster" in Seuss would be almost as embarrassing to them as ordering off the kids menu at a restaurant. Jurassic Park is the perfect canvas for an attraction that has a serious and involving storyline that's more of a step-up from the stuff in Seuss. Not everybody wants to get wet, and while River Adventure is pretty accessible to most kids, an accompanying dry ride (IE: a roller coaster) of the same caliber seems like a smart move to me, and gives even more of a reason to visit the attraction-starved island.

Actually, there was once a plan to have a Grinch-themed coaster in Seuss which would have been situated between Cat and Fish. It would have had the whole Mount Crumpet facade and all. I wouldn't have been embarassed to ride.

And neither would I. But it's not about you, its not about me, its about filling the void for guests who are stuck in that gray area... where things like Trolley become obsolete but things like Dragons are untouchable.

Theoretically if you were this kind of guest and weren't into getting wet, your only real options on a single day IOA admission would be Spiderman, Poseidon, Unicorn, Cat, and Storm... assuming my theory that Seuss is too childish for your "big boy" or "big girl" standards. What makes it even more affecting is the fact that with kids of that age, Mommy and Daddy are stuck in a rut as well. Sure they can do child swap for the larger attractions, but little Timmy and Tina are forced to wait for Mom and Dad to play single riders for an experience that's designed to stick in your memory for years... IE: Dragons/Hulk - IOA's big E-Tickets... E-Tickets that Universal isn't getting merchandise out of because the Smith family didn't get to experience it together.

So, our line up is a family coaster that is out of commission right now, a walk through attraction that - while appreciated by people who love the detail - isn't something you RIDE in as a family, a dude version of MK's Tea Cups, and twos well put together dark rides. Once Potter opens that'll help, as it will include the addition of a new (what I've dubbed) "gray-area-guest" accessible ride, and the return of Woodstock Express...ehm.... Flying Unicorn. While yes, this is a significant improvement, I still don't feel like its enough.

Honestly, I just hope you're seeing the perspective I'm coming from. I'm not saying IOA is a gigantic problem for every guest, but I'm willing to bet that quite a few families that visit the park run into the same issue.

Because Seuss Landing isn't "kiddie-fied"? The entire idea behind Suess Landing was to provide an area that was kid friendly - but at the same time providing an area where Mommy and Daddy could share the experiences with their child. Cat, Fish, Caro-Seuss-sel, and Trolley all fit that bill. What reasoning do you have to further saturate the shadeless island of Seuss Landing with a wacked out family coaster?.

What reasoning do I have? Because it's for kids. You made my argument for me. Jurassic Park should be frightening and it should have frightening rides (that are well-themed, obviously). Now, kids have the Discovery Center (which I love myself too actually because of its theming), Camp Jurassic, and that Pterdon thing. One more indoor scary as hell ride shouldn't be too much to ask for an island based on a movie that's supposed to be scary.

E-Tickets that Universal isn't getting merchandise out of because the Smith family didn't get to experience it together.

Yeah, kids don't love the Hulk character or anything. I'm sure Universal isn't making a dime on any of that merchandise. :rolleyes:

Honestly, I just hope you're seeing the perspective I'm coming from. I'm not saying IOA is a gigantic problem for every guest, but I'm willing to bet that quite a few families that visit the park run into the same issue.

Go to Disney then. No one is forcing them to go to IOA. They should pick a park more appropriate for them then.

Last edited:

What your saying makes clear sense and is well worded. IOA *is* a problem for many families; something that Universal has come to realize over the years. The problem is that park does not have a large amount of expansion room. Theres basically two other decent size plots now that Unicorn & Potter swopped up the other one. Once that stuff is developed, IOA is essentially built out. For this reason, they seem much more cautious about pulling the trigger to make a large investment into the park. If it's not *exactly* what they need, they just killed one of two chances for another large attraction.

Haha it's just unbelieve what I'm reading about here. You guys realize they're building Harry Potter, right? Is that not appropriate for youngsters?

Also, I'm wondering something, and this is likely to end the argument once I ask this, but are you guys more Disney fans or Universal fans? Which of the two do you frequent more?

I don't hold a bias towards any particular company. I just call it like I see it. Obviously my opinion bothers you, so I'm sorry for being offensive.

Haha it's just unbelieve what I'm reading about here. You guys realize they're building Harry Potter, right? Is that not appropriate for youngsters?

With a 48" height requirement, it's even less appropriate than some other attractions in the park.

Also, I'm wondering something, and this is likely to end the argument once I ask this, but are you guys more Disney fans or Universal fans? Which of the two do you frequent more?

I am a fan of well designed, well run, well maintained theme parks, regardless of brand.

I don't hold a bias towards any particular company. I just call it like I see it. Obviously my opinion bothers you, so I'm sorry for being offensive.

No, no, no need for apologies. Just a difference of opinion. Quite frankly, my objection to the coaster initially when I called it obnoxious was if it was an adult's coaster. Universal has enough of them.

With a 48" height requirement, it's even less appropriate than some other attractions in the park.

I haven't seen a height requirement released anywhere. Where did you see that? If that's true, then oh well. I guess IOA will never draw the Magic Kingdom crowd.

I think I've been enough of a dick so I'll just leave it on this humorous note.

HelenLovejoy_t630.jpg

I guess IOA will never draw the Magic Kingdom crowd.

Lol it was never designed to. It's not even able to carry Horror Night type crowds, hence the reason why the event will never return solely to Islands of Adventure. Their in-park capacity is surprisingly small.

Lol it was never designed to. It's not even able to carry Horror Night type crowds, hence the reason why the event will never return solely to Islands of Adventure. Their in-park capacity is surprisingly small.

But the concept of reversing the islands' various themes at night was pretty cool, right? Right? haha

I haven't seen a height requirement released anywhere. Where did you see that? If that's true, then oh well. I guess IOA will never draw the Magic Kingdom crowd.

People on the project. Released anywhere? Please- they still haven't *actually* acknowledged that the ride exists, let alone its name or any details. :lol:

I think I've been enough of a dick so I'll just leave it on this humorous note.

While some of your posts did come of a bit dick-ish, there's nothing wrong with a difference of opinion. Definitely appreciate your ending note to bounce things back to a happier tone. Things like that put the "spring" in Springfield.

Oh okay. I only ask because I had never heard that before.

I can't go into lots of details of course, but there was a general opinion around the table when the height restriction was revealed.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

HOPEFULLY, that was enough to motivate them to recosnider the ride programming and in turn, lower the height requirement. Obviously there's a SLEW of adults that are Potter fans - myself included - but there's no denying that the property is geared first towards children and young adults, but done in a way that it's still enjoyable to the "grown-ups." The beauty of the Kuka system is that it IS completely programable, and doesn't HAVE to be aggressive. Based on the rides I've had on Kuka arms (testing the most aggressive setting, and a few gentler ones) - I wouldn't WANT aggressive from that thing to begin with. Ouch.

I can't go into lots of details of course, but there was a general opinion around the table when the height restriction was revealed.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

HOPEFULLY, that was enough to motivate them to recosnider the ride programming and in turn, lower the height requirement. Obviously there's a SLEW of adults that are Potter fans - myself included - but there's no denying that the property is geared first towards children and young adults, but done in a way that it's still enjoyable to the "grown-ups." The beauty of the Kuka system is that it IS completely programable, and doesn't HAVE to be aggressive. Based on the rides I've had on Kuka arms (testing the most aggressive setting, and a few gentler ones) - I wouldn't WANT aggressive from that thing to begin with. Ouch.

That is such a tease :lol: But I bow down to your expertise then.

I know Potter has a very wide age range of fans. Knowing that, I guess I just assumed Universal would be smart enough to make it accessible to youngsters. I always forget to keep in mind what happens when you assume...