Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

What is your favorite on-site Universal hotel?

What is your favorite Universal on-site hotel?

• Total voters
Hard Rock and Royal Pacific rooms are pretty close to the same.
Portofino's rooms are way nicer and way more plush, nicer beds, bigger rooms, can get lost in the bathroom.

I've been in a regular room, in addition to having stayed in a Level 7 room in Portofino and from my memory they were almost exactly the same. I may be wrong though but didn't seem different to me.

Royal Pacific rooms are 335 square feet, Hard Rock Rooms are 375 square feet, and Portofino rooms are 450 square feet if I remember right. So for the price you pay for a room at Portofino you're getting a room that's about 25% bigger than a room at Royal Pacific.

The big difference in size from the Portofino and HR is the bathroom. The Port bathroom is huge. I should have put that as a con for the HR, small bathroom.

If I could, i'd take Royal Pacific's theme with Portofino's size.

But since I can't, Portofino edges out the other resorts for me. A good mix of relaxation and old memories.

I've only been to Hard Rock and Cabana Bay. Hard Rock is obviously pricier so if you are on a budget, I would go Cabana and just buy Express if you really want it that bad. But if you're looking to pamper yourselves, then I would go Hard Rock. Closer, better rooms, better food and just overall better atmosphere.

The only times I've stayed in the hotels are for HHN. At that hour, the shuttles to Cabana are very slow if you don't leave at closing with everyone else. Other than that, there isn't that much of an issue. Hard Rock never has that issue since its a stone's throw away from the Studios. Its all on personal preference and how much you're willing to cough up :p

- - - Updated - - -

I've only been to Hard Rock and Cabana Bay. Hard Rock is obviously pricier so if you are on a budget, I would go Cabana and just buy Express if you really want it that bad. But if you're looking to pamper yourselves, then I would go Hard Rock. Closer, better rooms, better food and just overall better atmosphere.

The only times I've stayed in the hotels are for HHN. At that hour, the shuttles to Cabana are very slow if you don't leave at closing with everyone else. Other than that, there isn't that much of an issue. Hard Rock never has that issue since its a stone's throw away from the Studios. Its all on personal preference and how much you're willing to cough up :p

Hard Rock or Royal Pacific in terms of best overall.

Portofino's price point is stupid because literally all 3 Loews hotels are exactly the same. There's nothing fancier about being at Portofino except the price. The rooms are the same. And they're all pretty tiny for what you pay if I'm being honest. And for being luxury hotels, all 3 lack a bathroom fan.

Cabana is pretty amazing for the price though considering cleanliness, perks, facilities and access to the parks.

Portofino isn't usually that much more than Royal Pacific. And a lot of the times I check, Hard Rock is actually coming out higher in price than the other two.

Portofino isn't usually that much more than Royal Pacific. And a lot of the times I check, Hard Rock is actually coming out higher in price than the other two.

Usually when I look, it's Cabana, Royal Pacific, Hard Rock followed by Portofino from lowest to highest. It's rare what you saw, usually HRH is $10 cheaper than Portofino if not the same price. And I'm not sure what you're talking about. Portofino is usually at LEAST $50 more a night than Royal Pacific if not a full $100.

Usually when I look, it's Cabana, Royal Pacific, Hard Rock followed by Portofino from lowest to highest. It's rare what you saw, usually HRH is $10 cheaper than Portofino if not the same price. And I'm not sure what you're talking about. Portofino is usually at LEAST $50 more a night than Royal Pacific if not a full $100.

This is usually what I see as well. But I have seen times when Portofino is the same as HR. But I think that is more a function of HR raising rates vs Port having a reduced rate.

A nice addition with Portofino is that they almost always give you an upgrade if you are an AP/American Express/etc holder. I've never not gotten one.

Odd, I've stayed at Portofino three times and each time was because it was where I could get the cheapest room (pre Cabana). It might have been that the AP discount was sold out already at the other places or maybe I just do book far enough in advance.

Anyway, we have stayed at each of the resorts and I really can't pick a favorite as I love them all and each for different reasons.

I like the Hard Rock for I am a music fan and the pool is fun, and the walk to the Studios is so short.

I just like the feel of RP and enjoy the walk to IOA.

Portofino is just really nice and feels special.

The last few trips though, we have stayed at Cabana and we enjoy it there. I love that Cabana is there now as we would often stay off site for some of our trips, with Cabana there now, I just do not see us staying near by when we can stay on site for a great rate.

I alway stay at Royal Pacific. I find the value to be better than the others. (The size of the room isn't all that important to me.) One thing that bothers me about Hard Rock and Portofino is that they charge extra to get a room with a king bed, where the bed type is interchangeable at Royal Pacific.

I can tell you from some friends who work for Loew's Hotels that the rate strategy is tiered for the four hotels with one revenue manager. So if you are getting a lower rate at Portofino, it's because you're booking a promo rate that is unavailable at the lower two deluxe hotels.

The last few trips though, we have stayed at Cabana and we enjoy it there. I love that Cabana is there now as we would often stay off site for some of our trips, with Cabana there now, I just do not see us staying near by when we can stay on site for a great rate.

Same here. I had 5 separate stays there last year alone. I Hotwire no more.

Also, from the UO website itself:

Hard Rock
February 22 – March 12, 2015: Rates from $244

Portofino
February 22 – March 12, 2015: Rates from $234

So HRH being more $$ happens more often than you might think.

I alway stay at Royal Pacific. I find the value to be better than the others. (The size of the room isn't all that important to me.) One thing that bothers me about Hard Rock and Portofino is that they charge extra to get a room with a king bed, where the bed type is interchangeable at Royal Pacific.

I can tell you from some friends who work for Loew's Hotels that the rate strategy is tiered for the four hotels with one revenue manager. So if you are getting a lower rate at Portofino, it's because you're booking a promo rate that is unavailable at the lower two deluxe hotels.

When I have always looked at pricing for Portofino Bay on the Universal website I have never seen them charge extra for a King room unless you have 3 occupants in the room.

Also, from the UO website itself:

Hard Rock
February 22 – March 12, 2015: Rates from $244

Portofino
February 22 – March 12, 2015: Rates from $234

So HRH being more $$ happens more often than you might think.

That is really interesting. We normally come down first of June and for HHN (and sometimes MG) and Port is usually $30+ dollars more a night. I really do prefer HR more, just a preference thing. Especially now that they have revamped the rooms (it was really needed).

But as its been said, all 4 are convenient and great in there own way.

Hard choice for me. I feel like they all have their own special thing.
The best sight seeing is definitely Hard Rock Hotel. Beautiful babes everywhere. I can't take that heavy rock music blaring everywhere all day though. Age takes it's toll. Hard Rock is for the young and/or the old hippies. :)

I've stayed at all except the Portfino, though we visit it for Sals pizza.
Just seems to quite for me. RPR is my favorite then HRH. Cabana bay is a great hotel for the $$, but my wife uses a wheelchair and the shuttles are a real pain for us. It can take up to 20mins to load (when you finally get a shuttle to take you, we have been passed over by 3 shuttles for one reason or another) . Going to Sapphire Falls this year (HHN), Got a lagoon view
(you first upgrade)@ $124.00 a night plus $150 food & beverage credit. Just could'nt pass that deal up(sorry RPR).

.We go to Universal about 3 or 4 weeks a year and try to stay at PBR each time (being Loews Platinum we get a Free upgrade to a Suite there, and there is nothing comparable in size or bathroom space at RPH). We have found that RPH has been more expensive than PBH the last few times we booked. Reason, Conventions. If RPH is almost fully booked by a convention, their rates for the remaining rooms will be higher and Portofino can be lower.
Hard Rock does not honor Loews perks so we never stay there-different owner.