Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

What to "add" to Islands of Adventure

I'm on the record about feeling that Islands of Adventure is already very well-balanced and well-rounded as a daily experience, and that Universal Studios Florida is really the park that still needs more work.

However, if pressed, here's what I'd like to see done with IOA (keeping it in the realm of plausibility):

- Replace the Toon Lagoon theater with a family-friendly, classic-style dark ride. Scooby-Doo might not be a bad fit.
- Addition of 3 - 4 paddocks along the pathways in Jurassic Park populated by animatronic dinosaur exhibits.
- Short of retheming all of Lost Continent, replace the Sindbad theater with either another show, or a dark ride focused on some other aspect of mythology.

Part of me would love to see Mt. Crumpit go into Seuss Landing, but I really think the park is set with coasters once JP's opens. I wouldn't complain if a heavily-themed, almost Matterhorn-style Mt. Crumpit attraction ended up being built, however.

I think Toon Lagoon needs to go. None of the rides or attractions match the show quality of the rides in the lands between them. Kids hardly know any of the characters.

You know, after my most recent visit, I think Universal needs to set a standardized level of quality across all ride, shows, attractions and buildings, because with them going in for the kill on almost all of their recent attractions... The holes are becoming more apparent, across both parks. Diagon is beautiful, then you explore the rest of the parks, they are still stuck in that 90's park look. The LOOK of the parks needs to be updated to keep with the times, along with the surroundings. They need to refresh and redo small sections around the entirety of both parks.

Toon Lagoon Retheme. 3 New Attractions, replacing Dudley, Popeye's and Toon lagoon Theater. 1 attraction that's wet. Popeye's area is big enough, it could be it's own land, taking on the land design schema they've introduced with Diagon and continued with Epic Universe . If they went for a multi-level land, I think they could squeeze out the amount of surface area in that area that takes up the entirety of Diagon Alley, including the gringotts show building and kings cross... They have space in there. They could also use a portion of that hypothetical new land for storage for a lagoon based nighttime show.

New Dark-Ride for Dr. Doom area. I'm thinking something like Marvel's Haunted mansion or something. Super-Hero Island updated to more modern versions of the comic book characters.

New Dark ride for Lost Continent, where Sinbad sits. Something like Journey to Atlantis, so there are water ride options on both sides of the park.

JP is always and forever in my heart, But my opinion has shifted on what JW would look like in islands. Do the whole JW thing, upgraded discovery center, But I would leave out the scene with the mosasaurus... Maybe start off in the aviary and have a first close call with a pteranodon? It'd be funny,they can play off how something always goes wrong in their attractions by having something go wrong with each scene. Add something (i.e Falling Gyrosphere maybe?, swept off a cliff by indo tail?) to the back half in the containment area.

Also, really... They need to go back to both parks for HHN and they just need more event packed in their event. Whatever they have to do to get Potter in HHN, They need to do it... It's obvious with the Dark Arts show that "Dark Potter" would be the biggest thing they could ever add to HHN, and people would line up yearly to get a chance at seeing it. Considering it's a limited time, separately ticketed event, they would have people rushing every single year to book . Seriously, if they have to create new footage for the train (both ways), overlays for Hogmeade and Diagon that can be switched out in an hour, as to not disrupt normal daytime operations... And do much much more, that price tag would be worth it, as it seems the result would be similar to when they opened Diagon. Guest haven't had the chance to interact with the Dark Side of the Wizarding universe in the parks, and it is almost completely unrepresented... Some people like rooting for the bad guys. Give them their moment, educate the guest it only happens for HHN and make buckets of money. Again. I'm convinced Potter plus both parks is part of the solution for scaling HHN Orlando to a truly worldwide, Vacation worthy Halloween event. And something like Dark Potter is something that would be a 1st in the world of Theme Parks, and could create a new model for in park events. Even if the two could be billed as two separate events, they both share the same ticket. Islands of fear featuring "The Dark Wizarding World" and Halloween Horror Nights.

Also if they could do the above, they'd be able to address how much they undercut the year-round value of their content through the passes they offer during HHN...

Would love a Tim Burton ride.
Hell or just a ride based off one of his films.

Imagine a Willy Wonka ride? You're in the boat, cruising down the river heading for a dark tunnel. Then bam, music starts, lights come on and you're flying through a colorful tunnel. I know many didn't like his remake, but that boat ride was awesome regardless.
Or an Alice in Wonderland ride?

Still hoping for Lord of the Rings...

I do not understand why they brought back King Kong. That ride was underwhelming for me. I like the props and aesthetics around the ride tho.

Aside from the new Coaster, Jurassic Park could have the raptor pen replica built, with sounds coming from it? A lil more detailed touches..

Imagine a Willy Wonka ride? You're in the boat, cruising down the river heading for a dark tunnel. Then bam, music starts, lights come on and you're flying through a colorful tunnel. I know many didn't like his remake, but that boat ride was awesome regardless.

I do not understand why they brought back King Kong. That ride was underwhelming for me. I like the props and aesthetics around the ride tho.

Aside from the new Coaster, Jurassic Park could have the raptor pen replica built, with sounds coming from it? A lil more detailed touches..
How I wish Nightmare Before Christmas was a Dreamworks/Illumination property.

Kong was brought back because the bones for the ride were already there from the tram tour and the IP is still rather viable

What we’ll probably get: hand-wringing from execs when the economy slows down from record attendance to slightly less than record attendance.

That's probably the sad truth. I don't know much about economics, but when we hit the next somewhat natural recession, it'll be interesting to see how theme parks handle it. (I wasn't very theme park fluent in 2008, so I don't remember how it was then for reference.)

Part of me would love to see Mt. Crumpit go into Seuss Landing, but I really think the park is set with coasters once JP's opens. I wouldn't complain if a heavily-themed, almost Matterhorn-style Mt. Crumpit attraction ended up being built, however.

Matterhorn is loosely a coaster...and I think we'd all deal with it. Only issue is it depending on how it was built it'd be another (partially) outside attraction, and I think we all know how we feel about that.

Also, really... They need to go back to both parks for HHN and they just need more event packed in their event. Whatever they have to do to get Potter in HHN, They need to do it...

It's not just Potter, though. There's very limited theming they can get approved with Seuss and Marvel (and Potter). The only thing I could see maybe working would be to have IOA stay open later and allow HHN guests over there - might encourage some of the rides-only people to spread out and take advantage of it, but I don't think it's the most practical.

I would sooner expect EU get it's own Halloween event, separate from HHN.

Also, really... They need to go back to both parks for HHN and they just need more event packed in their event. Whatever they have to do to get Potter in HHN, They need to do it... It's obvious with the Dark Arts show that "Dark Potter" would be the biggest thing they could ever add to HHN, and people would line up yearly to get a chance at seeing it. Considering it's a limited time, separately ticketed event, they would have people rushing every single year to book . Seriously, if they have to create new footage for the train (both ways), overlays for Hogmeade and Diagon that can be switched out in an hour, as to not disrupt normal daytime operations... And do much much more, that price tag would be worth it, as it seems the result would be similar to when they opened Diagon. Guest haven't had the chance to interact with the Dark Side of the Wizarding universe in the parks, and it is almost completely unrepresented... Some people like rooting for the bad guys. Give them their moment, educate the guest it only happens for HHN and make buckets of money. Again. I'm convinced Potter plus both parks is part of the solution for scaling HHN Orlando to a truly worldwide, Vacation worthy Halloween event. And something like Dark Potter is something that would be a 1st in the world of Theme Parks, and could create a new model for in park events. Even if the two could be billed as two separate events, they both share the same ticket. Islands of fear featuring "The Dark Wizarding World" and Halloween Horror Nights.

Also if they could do the above, they'd be able to address how much they undercut the year-round value of their content through the passes they offer during HHN...
Universal CAN use Potter during HHN. They've had approval by WB/Rowling on both coasts, and it's been done in Japan. They're choosing not to because they don't need to. It's more financially beneficial for them to have a separate "Halloween-adjacent" event in Hogsmeade, that way there's incentive for guests to go to both parks.

And in regards to a "two-park" event ever happening again, it's incredibly unlikely and not necessary. People talk about a "two-park" event like its two complete parks open for HHN, when it isn't--it's two half parks. 2004 was Port of Entry, Marvel, Seuss, half of Lost Continent, the back-lot, the Boneyard and New York open to guests. The plans for two parks in 2012 was Port of Entry, Seuss, half of Lost Continent, the back-lot New York, and Hollywood. The issue with going with this structure is the need to provide services to guests in what is typically non-guests areas. Specifically bathrooms.

You know how they did bathrooms on the backlot in 2004? Port-a-potties. Because the distance between Lost Continent and New York is a third of a mile without guests-accessible bathrooms.

This "double-park" structure actually prevents the usage of three custom HHN venues (the sprungs and MIB), and complicates the usage of two more (the Parades, which are best accessed trough the Esoteric Gate in this layout). The only "IoA" venue this layout makes available is the most limiting venue in the whole resort-Poseidon-or requires queuing through an empty Marvel to accesses the (currently in use) Marvel warehouse.

Basically, the two-park event isn't happening.

Something in Marvel or Suess to balance the new rides out a bit.

I’m still also a big fan of putting a side entrance into Toon Lagoon that faces Cabana Bay.

Do all the wet rides and Volcano Bay in one quick trip.

Realistically, after JP Coaster opens we likely aren’t getting anything here for a bit. I’d imagine that Lost Continent is the next project at Islands of Adventure, but we’re looking at like 2025/2026 I think in all honesty.
Agree (though the year could vary a ton, I really see no exact guessable year personally). Lost continent is the only land I wouldn’t consider strong in Ride lineup (especially after the velocicoaster)

My family went 3 weeks ago loved Dudleys and jp. Would love another innovative water ride. Popeyes closed for maintenance but doesn't look good in the YouTube video I watched.

My family went 3 weeks ago loved Dudleys and jp. Would love another innovative water ride. Popeyes closed for maintenance but doesn't look good in the YouTube video I watched.
Another example of where a You Tube video of an attraction is nearly meaningless. Popeye might be the BEST water raft ride in existence. It's not just very thrilling and extremely wet, but fun, funny and entertaining. And it gets very high GSAT's within Universal and on Touring Plans too.

Cool. We'll definitely try it if open next time. I didn't think the raft ride at seaworld looked good on YouTube either and we did enjoy it.

With the Seuss discussion in the Epic thread, an idea popped into my head for a nifty addition to Seuss Landing.

“Oh, the Places You’ll Row” - A small scale boat ride that goes through various stories that aren’t exactly “featured” in the land proper. This allows scenes from Horton, Green Eggs and Ham, the Lorax, Hop on Pop... shoot, even the Butter-Side War.

With the Seuss discussion in the Epic thread, an idea popped into my head for a nifty addition to Seuss Landing.

“Oh, the Places You’ll Row” - A small scale boat ride that goes through various stories that aren’t exactly “featured” in the land proper. This allows scenes from Horton, Green Eggs and Ham, the Lorax, Hop on Pop... shoot, even the Butter-Side War.
Oh I LOVE it. I really just want some small expansion to this area. A year round show would be a start, but I love this idea as well!

My list:
  1. Lost Continent needs to go ASAP. Hyrule replacement, featuring a family dark ride and a family-thrill dark ride.
  2. Keep Toon Lagoon as is, but refresh Dudley and build a SLoP clone where the theater is.
  3. Build a Avengers dark-ride where Doom is.
That's it.

This is pretty much exactly what they should do. It would give better balance to the park as well as more dark rides which can be great people-eaters (purple or otherwise). It would pretty much ensure that there were no dead spots in the park without losing the immersive qualities of the lands.

Love the Tim Burton an Willy Wonka idea! How much fun would Beetle Juice and Willy Wonka dark ride? The Tim Burton movie ride would have to have the black and white stripes/ checkers in the queue.

This is pretty much exactly what they should do. It would give better balance to the park as well as more dark rides which can be great people-eaters (purple or otherwise). It would pretty much ensure that there were no dead spots in the park without losing the immersive qualities of the lands.
'Purple People Eaters' song. We're showing our age. :lol: