Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

What's next for Busch Gardens Tampa??

I dunno. The "washed away" segment was more like being stuck in an overflowing bathtub on a Tom Sawyer's Island raft that the thrilling adventure it was advertised to be. One of my friends after riding it said "Whatever they paid for the ride, it was too much". I found the finale "meh" myself
Exactly! It seemed to take so long to get the truck positioned and secured it was hardly thrilling when it "suddenly" washed out. It just never lived up to its promise.

Nope, replaced by a theater with a critters show
And now the critters show has been replaced with a watered down version of itself (which is still better than what became of the rest of the park's shows, but unfortunate nonetheless).

I'm staying on the #bringrhinorallyback train until something better than Rhino Rally comes to BGT, so I'll just apologize now to anyone tired of me ranting about it :deadhorse:

But the way I see it, all the roller coasters in the world won't do anything to impress the people who come looking for an immersive experience that they can't get at their local Six Flags. Busch Gardens was my favorite theme park as a kid because of Rhino Rally, the Haunted Lighthouse, and Katonga.

And now the critters show has been replaced with a watered down version of itself (which is still better than what became of the rest of the park's shows, but unfortunate nonetheless).

I'm staying on the #bringrhinorallyback train until something better than Rhino Rally comes to BGT, so I'll just apologize now to anyone tired of me ranting about it :deadhorse:

But the way I see it, all the roller coasters in the world won't do anything to impress the people who come looking for an immersive experience that they can't get at their local Six Flags. Busch Gardens was my favorite theme park as a kid because of Rhino Rally, the Haunted Lighthouse, and Katonga.
Ugh. Rhino Rally. What a waste of money ... it'd have been better if they had just left off the finale and added more animals at the end.

I think the park certainly needs something for people who won't go on roller coasters or flat rides. There's not much to do for the "stay and watch the stuff" kind-of guests. I think something like a boat ride could be a good fit since they got rid of Tidal Wave. Rhino Rally would be a good location for that since all the other water attractions are located in the back/left side of the park. I also think a boat ride would be less likely to cut into the park's safari sales, because that is probably a very lucrative part of the park.

Right now, the park's strategy seems to be, how can we put the most buzz words on a billboard to advertise the rides. This can be seen ever since Mako "Tallest,Fastest, Longest" same with Tigris "Florida's First Triple Launch" and now with Iron Gwazi" "Fastest, Steepest ect. " Considering we haven't really seen the chain add anything that hasn't used this marketing strategy, I doubt they'd be interested, but I think overall guest satisfaction is higher when you have attractions for all to enjoy. And with Iron Gwazi, the park can go several years without any new coasters.

I really think it would be a disservice to the park to put a large flat/coaster in the rhino rally space. A nice, themed, lush boat ride would be perfect for the area. The park needs something else. Less Six Flags please.

I think the park certainly needs something for people who won't go on roller coasters or flat rides. There's not much to do for the "stay and watch the stuff" kind-of guests. I think something like a boat ride could be a good fit since they got rid of Tidal Wave. Rhino Rally would be a good location for that since all the other water attractions are located in the back/left side of the park. I also think a boat ride would be less likely to cut into the park's safari sales, because that is probably a very lucrative part of the park.

Right now, the park's strategy seems to be, how can we put the most buzz words on a billboard to advertise the rides. This can be seen ever since Mako "Tallest,Fastest, Longest" same with Tigris "Florida's First Triple Launch" and now with Iron Gwazi" "Fastest, Steepest ect. " Considering we haven't really seen the chain add anything that hasn't used this marketing strategy, I doubt they'd be interested, but I think overall guest satisfaction is higher when you have attractions for all to enjoy. And with Iron Gwazi, the park can go several years without any new coasters.

I really think it would be a disservice to the park to put a large flat/coaster in the rhino rally space. A nice, themed, lush boat ride would be perfect for the area. The park needs something else. Less Six Flags please.

I would love to see a revival of their old Jungle Cruise ride that was replaced by Tidal Wave. I love the idea of using the Rhino Rally area.

Having taken someone that couldn't ride coasters at BGT, I was shocked at how you could make a day out of shows, the Skyride, animals, and the train. I wold love to see them add more to that aspect though

I would love to see a revival of their old Jungle Cruise ride that was replaced by Tidal Wave. I love the idea of using the Rhino Rally area.

Having taken someone that couldn't ride coasters at BGT, I was shocked at how you could make a day out of shows, the Skyride, animals, and the train. I wold love to see them add more to that aspect though
Yea my wife doesn’t do coasters, but somehow she still likes going there. The train helps. Nice long ride with good views of animals.

Maybe I was just unlucky, the day I went with my parents both the Skyride and Turn it Up! were not running.

Maybe I was just unlucky, the day I went with my parents both the Skyride and Turn it Up! were not running.
Was it recently? If so, it was just luck as the Skyride is having it's annual maintenance, and will be back up this weekend in time for Christmastown (unless it opens a little earlier, which it could). Also Turn It Up is closed for it's Christmas show transformation so it will starting this Saturday as well.

Was it recently? If so, it was just luck as the Skyride is having it's annual maintenance, and will be back up this weekend in time for Christmastown (unless it opens a little earlier, which it could). Also Turn It Up is closed for it's Christmas show transformation so it will starting this Saturday as well.
Yes, but if your flagship show and a major ride for the non-ride folk are down, there isn't much to do for them. They need more, even if the situation is only temporary.

I agree with most of this post, but the park is certainly lacking in family coasters and airtime. A giga and/or a mine train would fit this park perfectly, and then they can go for a while without coasters.

The best use of the Rhino Rally space would be a new land with a family coaster and the boat ride like you mentioned. Put the giga near Tigris/Jungala. Add a simulator, flying theater, or a VR experience (like what BGW got) near the front of the park or in Pantopia. Add a couple of new flats around the park, like the S&S Screaming Swing everyone wants, a gyro-swing to replace Phoenix, etc. The park would be perfect after that.

Yes, but if your flagship show and a major ride for the non-ride folk are down, there isn't much to do for them. They need more, even if the situation is only temporary.
This is the "slow season". This is common every year at this same time between events. They have a maintenance schedule posted online on the park hours page year-round for people to see what's scheduled to be closed for it's annual maintenance. Also, there is always a 2-3 week period between HOS and the start of Christmastown for the ice show to get ready. This is nothing new. I know it can be frustrating though for those who aren't in the know though. Hopefully they will start working to better add more things for non-coaster riders after Iron Gwazi opens.

I agree with most of this post, but the park is certainly lacking in family coasters and airtime. A giga and/or a mine train would fit this park perfectly, and then they can go for a while without coasters.

The best use of the Rhino Rally space would be a new land with a family coaster and the boat ride like you mentioned. Put the giga near Tigris/Jungala. Add a simulator, flying theater, or a VR experience (like what BGW got) near the front of the park or in Pantopia. Add a couple of new flats around the park, like the S&S Screaming Swing everyone wants, a gyro-swing to replace Phoenix, etc. The park would be perfect after that.

The park has plenty of family coasters. Air Grover, Cobras Curse, Sand Serpent, Cheetah Hunt, Scorpion (yes the last 2 have inversions, so they are a step-up). We're getting an airtime monster next year, which will have a 48" height requirement, though that could change if they determine it's too intense, like they did with Steel Vengeance.

The park does need to focus on some family and thrilling flats though after IG. A good flat package with multiple flats in a newly themed area would work wonders for BGT. Have some the whole family can ride together and at least one that's highly thrilling to balance it out.

Last edited:
I can definitely see a new B&M coming to BGT. Either a giga or a wingrider.

An S&S Screamin Swing seems a likely fit in the next few years as well.

The park has plenty of family coasters. Air Grover, Cobras Curse, Sand Serpent, Cheetah Hunt, Scorpion (yes the last 2 have inversions, so they are a step-up). We're getting an airtime monster next year, which will have a 48" height requirement, though that could change if they determine it's too intense, like they did with Steel Vengeance.

The park does need to focus on some family and thrilling flats though after IG. A good flat package with multiple flats in a newly themed area would work wonders for BGT. Have some the whole family can ride together and at least one that's highly thrilling to balance it out.

If we're not counting coasters with inversions, the park only has Air Grover, Cobras Curse, and Sand Serpent. Not exactly a stellar selection of family coasters. Not everybody is a fan of going upside-down.