Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014) | Page 119 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Poll Closed

• Yes

Votes: 154 88.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 12.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Being bored last night I messed around with Photobucket to see what could fit in the Amity area. I used Forbidden Journeys Show Building. I also used Hogsmead with the assumption that Diagon Alley could be built to the same scale (they'd have to enlarge it much bigger then the movies depect). I kept most of the amity buildings as well as the original pathway as these would represent where the "Muggle" buildings in London would be placed to Hide Diagon alley behind them. The main enterance to Diagon Alley would be located on the south end of the area (there would be another "Muggle" building where you see the Hogwarts Express) with another entrance being placed at the north end near the Fear Factor stage. Although theres only one entrance to Diagon Alley in the books/movies it would be a crowded nightmare to only have 1 way in and 1 way out. Obviously the show building could be larger or smaller and shapped better to fit the land. But it goes to show there is quite a bit of room to work with.

Nice work, and it's amazing how much space is back there.

All 3 rumors came at the same time.

The closure of Jaws and Potter to USF both came from the same source. I'm not sure if he also mentioned the train, but someone did.

Actually, the Jaws removal for Potter Phase 2 rumor has been around since atleast April 2008. It got lost in all the LC expansion rumors. But this is the original expansion plan rumor. Here is a link to the Jaws Rumor:

http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/2...shack-due-at-harry-potter-theme-park-and-more

Here is a me speculating on the Train through the backlot in Aug. 2008:

"When I first read the rumor of having Potter in both parks, especially being located at the Jaws location, I thought it was absolute bunk considering how far Jaws is from where TWWoHP is, but here is how I speculate they could do it.
They could put Diagon Alley/Kings Cross where Jaws is and simply run The Hogwarts Express though the backlot to connect with the Hogsmeade Station, but it would require a 2 parks pass of some sort, that you would swipe before you get on the train. That would give them a much needed traportation system linking the 2 parks. It is quite a hike now if your at, say Jurassic Park, and want to get to MiB
Of course, it would be a Phase 2 for HP, and be contingent on TWWoHP being a huge success. The major attraction in Diagon Ally would be The Vaults at Gringott's. It would be a highly themed indoor mine cart coaster. Possibly utilizing a Euro-Fighter ride system."

http://mb.laughingplace.com/MsgBoard-T-98765-P-1.asp

But Spirit Mike was the one to bring it back from the dead.

Last edited:
Why thank you Disneyhead, I was just about to say the rumors & speculation have been around for so long...Anyone else think that they might be taking ideas from the fans? lol

If I recall correctly a year before WWOHP opened is when we started speculating on how they could expand WWOHP. Someone suggested placing it in the studios and linking them by a "train simulator". Then I remember it popping up again with rumors of jaws being on the chopping block (at least almost 2 years ago), and everyone started saying that they should/would remove T2 first, among other things. I havent been around for the recent events but if it comes up again, and hollywood just announced their WWOHP.... Hmmm.

I only joined in Oct 2009 so I guess that I was so unaware of the WW/Jaws 2-park discussion. Sounds as if UC stepped way out of the box in their blue sky stage trying to get this done with WB.

Something I just thought of. If there is going to be a Hogwarts Express, with screens making it seem like the Scottish Highlands, how cool would it be if, in the background every now and then, there was a lagoon with a boat being attacked by Jaws, as a tribute.

Something I just thought of. If there is going to be a Hogwarts Express, with screens making it seem like the Scottish Highlands, how cool would it be if, in the background every now and then, there was a lagoon with a boat being attacked by Jaws, as a tribute.

I think we will be lucky if we get a photo in some queue of Krum in the Triwizard Tournament. That is about as close to Jaws as the series comes.

More like you'll see a fin swimming in the water in the lake more than likely I think is a possibility.

Being bored last night I messed around with Photobucket to see what could fit in the Amity area. I used Forbidden Journeys Show Building. I also used Hogsmead with the assumption that Diagon Alley could be built to the same scale (they'd have to enlarge it much bigger then the movies depect). I kept most of the amity buildings as well as the original pathway as these would represent where the "Muggle" buildings in London would be placed to Hide Diagon alley behind them. The main enterance to Diagon Alley would be located on the south end of the area (there would be another "Muggle" building where you see the Hogwarts Express) with another entrance being placed at the north end near the Fear Factor stage. Although theres only one entrance to Diagon Alley in the books/movies it would be a crowded nightmare to only have 1 way in and 1 way out. Obviously the show building could be larger or smaller and shapped better to fit the land. But it goes to show there is quite a bit of room to work with.

untitled-3.jpg

GREAT pic. Seriously.

We have the space for 2 FJ's here basically.

I checked out another site tonight and read how one envisioned a full scale entrance into London... to fit with the full scale NYC, San Fran. I liked the concept. Too, in the image above, notice how much of the waterfront is not included. That can and must be wiped out to fit the bill. It couldn't fit the potter lexicon, but at least it could fit the docks of London 1995 maybe, kinda, sorta... kinda.

Since I love inputting ideas, here's what I'm envisioning from what everyone is rumoring and hinting:

Pre-Hogsmeade Area

358qqec.jpg

So the entirety of the Sinbad area of Lost Continent gives way for this new entrance to the southern end of the Wizarding World ("WWoHP - Hogsmeade"), where the sense of a forest is accented with tall trees and plenty of berming. If you look closely, two rectangles are there, representing a new beverage cart, and a new Butterbeer cart. The existing area for the Hogwarts Express makes way for some new facades and restrooms. The Sinbad theatre makes way for the Hogwarts Express loading area AND the vehicle maintenance center.

Hogwarts Express Route

nd945t.jpg

As shown, the Hogwarts Express runs down the backstage road connecting the two parks. If there was an elevation showing the track, it would show a system relatively similar to the bus/train things that run through Miami, with the capability of switchable vehicles to allow for easier transfers. The main shutters of the train are normally closed, but when the trains reach the expanded section in the parking lot area, they encounter a Kong 360 esque sequence through some rolling hills either showing Hogwarts at a distance (if the train is traveling from Hogsmeade) or London at a distance (if the train is traveling from London).

London/Diagon Alley (Only "WWoHP - London" on Maps)

25ps1op.png

The main setting is London, with King's Cross (St. Pancras station, really) being the main weenie of the area with its huge clocktower. The streets are like alleyways in London, facades everywhere, and classical architecture laden with semi-modern accents, and a double-decker. This area operates by itself as a themed area, but it blends through the Leaky Cauldron, where there is a passageway that leads straight towards Diagon Alley. In Diagon, some shops are open, and some are not. Ollivander's is still here even though it's also in Hogsmeade, simply because it's such a popular attraction (at the end of every show, the main speaker references the other shop, which can be accessed by taking the train). Weasley's Wizard Wheezes is another open shop, and guests can explore Knockturn Alley as well. On the other branching streets, boxes for "merchandise" block the way to allow for a forced perspective effect. The main attraction here is the Gringotts Bank tour, which is the huge building above everything else, disguised with a London panoramic to hide it.

Building Comparison

35ksymo.png

Basically, Gringotts is huge compared to Mummy, so there is plenty of space for intimate moments using the patented moving base, and for the nice coaster segments which are imperative.

Reactions: Felipe

untitled-3.jpg

Great picture! Imagine if they remove the fear factor stadium too! That woul be a lot more room!

Since I love inputting ideas, here's what I'm envisioning from what everyone is rumoring and hinting:

35ksymo.png

Basically, Gringotts is huge compared to Mummy, so there is plenty of space for intimate moments using the patented moving base, and for the nice coaster segments which are imperative.
I spy an elf flipping us off in the last pic...this is pretty exciting if it is actually happening...From the sounds of it The Studios is in for a much needed uplift in the next few years

The following is my semi-realistic view on what I want to happen in the next few years. Most of it isn't rumor or info. Just what I want to happen.

-Amity becomes London/Diagon Alley

-Gringotts Coaster anchors Diagon Alley

-Weasley Wizard Weezes secondary attraction.

-Leaky Cauldron and Florean Fortesque's for food.

-Ollivander's is moved to a bigger location in DA. The old location is expanded and becomes Madame Puddifoot's.

-FFL is closed and replace. In a perfect world, Universal goes out and gets the rights to Bond and puts a 007 ride here to complete the London feel.(For ReelJustice)

-Space Fantasy coaster is built in KidZone (not a rumor...just what I want).

-SS44 is demolished and replaced.

I think that's a great plan overall. I just wouldn't add Madame Puddifoot's in the current space held by Ollivanders because it would be another small space. I'd rather they just open Dervish and Banges. You can barely walk in there and I want this ridiculous lining up to enter a shop deal to stop.

Also, as much as I (and most) want FFL gone and something different put in the theater, I think we won't be rid of FFL for a while... The TV show is coming back and that could mean that there'll be new interest in it... or that Universal will think that and they'll choose to keep it :(

Unfortunately, I can guarantee you FFL is staying for at least 2 more years.

I believe ya :(

Who cares about the Cinderella dream suite I would so rather stay in the Leaky Cauldron.

Me too! :D

Um. I'd rather stay in Hogwarts.

YES! How awesome would it be if they actually had space within the building which they could turn into a suite? One can dream...

untitled-3.jpg

Thanks! That's a great way to visualize it!

Hogwarts Express Route

nd945t.jpg

As shown, the Hogwarts Express runs down the backstage road connecting the two parks. If there was an elevation showing the track, it would show a system relatively similar to the bus/train things that run through Miami, with the capability of switchable vehicles to allow for easier transfers. The main shutters of the train are normally closed, but when the trains reach the expanded section in the parking lot area, they encounter a Kong 360 esque sequence through some rolling hills either showing Hogwarts at a distance (if the train is traveling from Hogsmeade) or London at a distance (if the train is traveling from London).

London/Diagon Alley (Only "WWoHP - London" on Maps)

25ps1op.png

The main setting is London, with King's Cross (St. Pancras station, really) being the main weenie of the area with its huge clocktower. The streets are like alleyways in London, facades everywhere, and classical architecture laden with semi-modern accents, and a double-decker. This area operates by itself as a themed area, but it blends through the Leaky Cauldron, where there is a passageway that leads straight towards Diagon Alley. In Diagon, some shops are open, and some are not. Ollivander's is still here even though it's also in Hogsmeade, simply because it's such a popular attraction (at the end of every show, the main speaker references the other shop, which can be accessed by taking the train). Weasley's Wizard Wheezes is another open shop, and guests can explore Knockturn Alley as well. On the other branching streets, boxes for "merchandise" block the way to allow for a forced perspective effect. The main attraction here is the Gringotts Bank tour, which is the huge building above everything else, disguised with a London panoramic to hide it.

Building Comparison

35ksymo.png

Nice job! Thanks for the visuals to go along with the ideas!

I agree that if there'll be a Hogwarts Express ride/transportation system, then it would be cool if each station had a "room" with screens and simulation to show your trip and arrival, and hopefully some fun and action encountering some magical creatures and locations thrown in there too.

I like your layout of Diagon Alley, but I would personally turn D.A. 90 degrees to the right and shift some stuff around. I would put the Train Station in that rectangle of trees to the left of your last pic, and I'd give it a Kings Cross facade, and maybe theme the inside to look like movies' Kings Cross too (glass ceilings and the platforms and so on). Then once you go out I'd have a few facade buildings to separate Kings Cross from the area where the Leaky Cauldron would be located. I'd then have the Knight Bus parked in front of TLC for a great photo-op, much like we have the Hogwarts Express engine at Hogsmeade. I'd also make more use of the space for Diagon Alley and put less focus on London, I'd just have a little London in the beginning and after TLC and the Knight Bus the whole area would be more dedicated to Diagon Alley with bigger shops and maybe that Weasley W. W. store/ride too. So, in my vision, Diagon Alley would be located more where you have the main yellow walkway. (Maybe if I have some time I'll make a little sketch of my imaginary layout in the Jaws space... Thanks again for the effort you put into that fully fledged idea! Great fun to read and visualize!)

You all are amazing at imagination. However, you seem to forget the cost vs. Return on investment.
All of the wizards and witches in Universal Creative still must work within the confines of muggle money-sense.
The only reasonable expansion at this time will be into Lost continent, for it truly is lost on the average visitor
Imagine how much it would cost to actually build and maintain a Hogwart's express.
Let's come back to reality and reign in our broomstick flying for a bit.

You all are amazing at imagination. However, you seem to forget the cost vs. Return on investment.
All of the wizards and witches in Universal Creative still must work within the confines of muggle money-sense.
The only reasonable expansion at this time will be into Lost continent, for it truly is lost on the average visitor
Imagine how much it would cost to actually build and maintain a Hogwart's express.
Let's come back to reality and reign in our broomstick flying for a bit.

The conjecture now is that it wouldn't be a real train at all but a train simulation and transport. But as Animal Kingdom can maintain two trains and the Magic Kingdom two or more trains... nothing is impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.