Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2 | Page 336 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Zig zag usually at a pedestrian crossing or outside of schools.

No parking at anytime as would cause a visual obstruction to pedestrians and other motorist trying to cross.

That's why this forum is never quiet, even when you locals are asleep / at work! You must sometimes wonder why people are posting in the middle of a weekday or at 4am :p

That's why this forum is never quiet, even when you locals are asleep / at work! You must sometimes wonder why people are posting in the middle of a weekday or at 4am :p

When I am at work I always notice the site get busier from 10am when the other side of the Atlantic wake up lol

Hogsmeade Station is in Scotland, not London.

I was just inserting words into another post (In a fixed it for you style), so I can't really speak for why they wrote the wrong area, but my gut feeling is they're a little more focused on the fact that UO doesn't think it's an issue portion of the post.

Here is the funny thing with this whole 'being immersed' thing, even on a moderately busy day, you enter Hogsmeade and can barely pass through the street because it is crowded with tourists ...

I think the Variety article let the cat out of the bag a little early! I have been saying all along that the Grand Opening would be during the massive press event. It just didn't make sense to invite the press down twice (once for this "preview" and then again for the GO) in the span of two or three weeks. Invite the press down, let them explore the land before a ton of people invade it but still have the press down there for the grand opening day. The night of the 19th will be the final press "event" where they do the big opening with all the fireworks and stuff like they did for Phase 1 and then the morning they land will be open! I have a feeling tomorrow we will get the announcement in the form of a video with the cast members that were down there yesterday.

The VIP party in Diagon Alley is the night of the 18th. The 19th during the day is when the press gets to hang out in DA. The 20th is scheduled as the departure day and press has to check out of their hotel in the morning, so it seems a strange day to stage a grand opening ceremony...

The VIP party in Diagon Alley is the night of the 18th. The 19th during the day is when the press gets to hang out in DA. The 20th is scheduled as the departure day and press has to check out of their hotel in the morning, so it seems a strange day to stage a grand opening ceremony...

This. I was going to say the same thing after seeing it was said to be on the 20th. I myself am going to be leaving the night of the 19th. This is why I think they'll do what Disney did and have a ceremony with the actors and the press to then have an opening for the GP about a week later or so. Using the media to build hype on when it will open.

During Phase 1, they held the big grand opening event on the 16th with all the movie stars and the big fireworks show for all the press. Then the land officially opened on the 18th. So, following the schedule you mention, it seems like an total repeat. The night of the 18th will be the big "event", the 19th will be the big press day and then the 20th it will be officially open to the public. Even if the press has to check out of the hotels, it doesn't prevent them from going to the park opening day. However, they should have gotten all the video/photos they needed the day before. Honestly, having tons of press in the parks when it is open to the public will just cause more of a headache for everybody involved.

Plus, with the tonight show going down, they can film parts of the big, movie star filled "opening" on the 18th and then include it in the show on the evening on the 19th and officially announce to the public that it is now open.

Of course, this is still the most ideal situation. I am still standing firm behind the idea that you don't invite TONS of press to "preview" a land for a few days, send them home, and then two weeks later invite them ALL back down again for the opening. Also, Universal is not going to put into the press schedule "A star studded grand opening event" on the 18th considering they have not announced the grand opening date yet. Info gets leaked ALL THE TIME. Its better for Universal if they just call it a party on the schedule so if something does get leaked from the schedule (which it has), people won't assume it is the grand opening party.

You also don't start ramping up press coverage (including Universal's own press team) if you are not planning on opening it soon. In the span of eight days we had five stories regarding this expansion on the official blog alone! They simply can't keep releasing stories about the land every few days for another month. People will get frustrated that they keep showing off all these great details without being close to opening. It's the same logic all the entertainment industry follows. Release a trailer in the movie theater for a movie months in advance and then 2-4 weeks before opening, start the main press push with TV ad's, interviews with the cast on various websites, ticket pre-orders (for big movies), etc. Same thing with video games. Tomorrow is E3 were a LOT of new games will be shown off. They will have there big reveal and some gaming sites will cover the games more in depth but then all the names will vanish for months. Sure some people might remember them and talk about them daily (like us on this forum with HP), but the general public will have mostly forget. Then 2-4 weeks before the launch of the game, the press push begins with tons of gaming sites covering the game, interviewing the creators and then mostly ending with the games release by publishing the review (same goes with movies).

To me, Disney really screwed up with 7DMT. After the big press event, I was excited to check it out and wanted to go right away but it was still not open! A week later I had forgot the day it was even scheduled to open and then when it did official open, they had barely any press coverage because all the press had covered it a few weeks earlier.

Next week is the 20th and still no official opening date announcement. Gotta be frustrating for all of the out of towners wanting to plan a trip. All of this publicity they are pushing just makes that worse. It's the epitome of "Shut up and take my money!". I'm thankful to be a local.

I know right? If I was waiting to book a vacation, I already would've said screw it and booked a different vacation plan out of pure frustration.

Funny story: we booked our holiday last year the day before. We were very lucky there was space in Royal Pacific and we got flights to fit with it; it was right at the end of the summer which probably helped. So when they announce the opening date maybe we'll do the same again! (Joking. I wish :( )

Status
Not open for further replies.