Villain-Con Minion Blast (General Discussion) | Page 87 | Inside Universal Forums

Villain-Con Minion Blast (General Discussion)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
So I watched the POV and Villain-Con is pretty much what I expected it to be. It's definitely an upgrade from Shrek 4D and I'm shocked by how long the ride actually is. It looks fun, and I'm excited to check it out as soon as I can. Plus, the customization feature within the app looks interesting.

Will take a few attempts to figure out what is happening.
This does seem like something that people need to give time. Take like Velocicoaster - you go on that once and you know how awesome it is. Frankly, I know people dump on Spiderman at DCA, but once you go on it a few times and figure out what's going on, it's a lot more fun. First time through that ride is just like wtf is going on here.

They managers to stick something akin to TSMM into a single Shrek theater.
To be fair, if TSMM was a single track it would be pretty compact as well.

It looks like what I was expecting, but I can certainly concede that Universal made good and efficient use of the space limitations (limitations they imposed on themselves, but that's another discussion!).

If you're a person who enjoys Toy Story Mania, I think you'll probably enjoy Villain-Con, and I expect it will serve its intended function.

I don't have a very positive opinion of Toy Story Mania, so I'll leave it at that.

I love how unique and ballsy this project was. Couldn’t help but grin when watching the video and seeing people standing on a baggage claim with giant guns in their hands

I’d say that although this isn’t a perfect theme park attraction, it sure looks fun and is an overall improvement compared to what we had before

I've been burned so many times before. And still I was expecting some practical props & sets during the ride. lol

Reactions: tielo
This ride-thru, and in general, all of the minion auditions, looks good, specifically for the target audience of families. I guarantee families, and you know what, most guests, will spend much more time in Minions Land than what was there before.

After seeing the POVs, I'll save my judgment of the ride-thru until I see it in person, as some things still need to be worked out. However, it looks perfect for a C-Ticket and, again, families. Fun easter eggs spotted too.

Of course...

Frustrated Parks And Recreation GIF

and I lost the bet on who the rule breaker would be...HAHA

Ew I just looked and I am not surprised at all that it was those 2, they’re scumbags.

This ride, and in general, all of the minion auditions, looks good, specifically for the target audience of families. I guarantee families, and you know what, most guests, will spend much more time in Minions Land than what was there before.

After seeing the POVs, I'll save my judgment of the ride until I see it in person, as some things still need to be worked out. However, it looks perfect for a C-Ticket and, again, families. Fun easter eggs spotted too.
One element that does surprise me is how minor a part the Minions play in Minion Blast. If you want a heaping helping of Universal's most marketable characters, you're better off across the street at Mayhem (or the cafe),

Reactions: Coolbfitz and Nico
One element that does surprise me is how minor a part the Minions play in Minion Blast. If you want a heaping helping of Universal's most marketable characters, you're better off across the street at Mayhem (or the cafe),

I can only speak from the media preview - but I think there's a part missing/we skipped during our experience that connects "us at Villain-Con" to "Minion Takeover" before you ride.

I can only speak from the media preview - but I think there's a part missing/we skipped during our experience that connects "us at Villain-Con" to "Minion Takeover" before you ride.
Interesting. Even then, it's interesting how small and relatively generic the Minions appear in the attraction and the degree to which they're lost among the blasting. The individual villains get highlighted nicely in the last room, though.

Reactions: Nico
FWIW please put all media and reviews here

Sooo now that more people are experiencing it, are the whole “score feels randomized” reports still seeming accurate? I’ve been away from the internet all day, so I’m slowly catching up :lol:

Sooo now that more people are experiencing it, are the whole “score feels randomized” reports still seeming accurate? I’ve been away from the internet all day, so I’m slowly catching up :lol:
I got nearly the same score both rides. It was lower the second time, but that’s because I stepped off my dot accidentally for 20 secs at once point. Since I shot at mostly the same things both times, I’d say the score is probably accurate. We just don’t know what’s worth what yet.

Reactions: Tbad556
I got nearly the same score both rides. It was lower the second time, but that’s because I stepped off my dot accidentally for 20 secs at once point. Since I shot at mostly the same things both times, I’d say the score is probably accurate. We just don’t know what’s worth what yet.
Fantastic news! That was genuinely one of my only concerns at this point. Thanks!

Not indicting the ride for this, but the first thing they need to change is the target reticle. The reticle should be projected into the environment (like a flashlight or laser pointer) rather than being a statically sized retical overlaid on top of the ride. Without that there's little pretense that the environment has depth and isn't more than a screen (which it is but still).

EDIT: I imagine this is a take it or leave it criticism for most, given that the static reticle was likely chosen to make aiming easier.