Villain-Con Minion Blast (General Discussion) | Page 91 | Inside Universal Forums

Villain-Con Minion Blast (General Discussion)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Are there any reviews from people with kids? I’m curious how they would feel about it.

Also, there are areas in the ride that def could use some more props. I get that the half wall is glass and they expect kids to shoot through it. Probably limits what you can put in front of the screen.

Reactions: GA-MBIT
Because many of us here thought there would be some physical elements. And there are zero.
And no, a frame around a screen doesn’t count as physical.

But like I said, it’s fine for what it is. Though I wish they would have added actual physical elements and a little more Spider-Man/transformers fusion like we know they can do.
Does it change anything ultimately? No. But it could have been elevated just a smidge more.

I don’t know what’s worse regarding rides for IP anchors though- minions or frozen. Such lackluster rides they keep cloning across the world. It’s a bit embarrassing.
Again lol - this was known from the get-go... (well, at least heavily implied)

I do agree, though - it is fine for what it is. I think it's fun and fills a need for the park,

I do understand the screen frustration. That said, I think focusing on solely the screen aspect is doing the attraction a disservice as the interactivity is the real highlight. I would also point out that there's a major component to the attraction missing right now with the App/Phone sync - which is what I think would be a good hook for a lot more people.

tiny, family friendly, and most importantly, high capacity.
Quoting to stress this point.

I'm going to hit an opposing viewpoint on the lack of physical sets and props.

The fact they are minimal physicals sets means Universal can overlay and add in new scenes overnight which can lead to more randomization depending on the day you arrive vs the ride being the same everyday as well as holiday overlays etc. This is also soft opening.....which means they are still working on the ride to improve things they are just letting guests be part of the testing phase. Who knows how much things will change between now and the official opening.

I applaud Universal on making an attraction that is accessible to almost all guests with no issues. I also applaud them for making a ride that actually puts people in the action versus the same old something goes wrong scenario that is there go to for most rides these days.

I know this isn’t what some people want to hear, but it certainly doesn’t look like “no more screens” is anywhere close to the reality of the situation, while this is.
Nobody was ever saying, "No more screens in Universal attractions ever again," though.

Some of us were saying, "It would be nice to get a new ride in USF that isn't dependent on them."

I'm just more concerned about them improving latency/eliminating lag, which is clearly an issue based on the reviews and illicit POV. I'm sure that's the bigger reason why they were asking for no on-ride video.
I feel like they may need to space people more and maybe speed up the conveyor a smidge. Right now it seems like they have too many blasters in each scene for too long a time for the game to keep up

I think if we’re thinking of the future of USF, and what our hopes are, this attraction honestly fits perfectly.

Right now to me it doesn’t really fit and feels like a park of a lot of the same-same vibes.

Replace Simpsons with a new land with a dark ride, change Supercharged, add a dark ride in Kidzone, new show in FF plot… but that’s all probably 10 years down the road. Ultimately this is fine.

Managed to get hit in the face twice by the blaster from the guest behind.
This has been my biggest concern, especially when it comes to riding with smaller kids. My question is, do people think it would be advantageous to skip a dot or two to separate parties at the load? I imagine people will be more aware of others if the others involved are those they are traveling with.

I also realize they want the capacity, which is why I could see a small gap in between parties being a decent solution that still allows a good amount of guest throughput.

Anyone know the actual capacity? Just guessing on the math it's around 1600 per hour. That seems decent but not crazy high.

I think this ride could have benefited from the extra space of the second theater. The quality of the theming is good, but there are clearly areas where the theming is great and all-encompassing like the fish tank, but others where there's very little theming outside the screen.
If they used both theaters they probably could have done a ride on par with SLOP in regard to the physical sets and screen size. I was hoping and though that all the screens in VCMB would be on at least on par with the fireworks scene from Pets. But I guess if that down the line USF hopefully gets another interactive kid friendly ride that is in a bigger plot of land and not have to share the space with HHN houses it can have actual ride vehicles and would probably have more SLOP levels of practical set pieces mixed with all of the screens on par with the fireworks scene. Heck, if they were ambitious they could trickle down the quality from the USB Jurassic World ride screens.

If you can't stand for extended periods of time or are a little wobbly on a.moving platform when there is nothing to hold onto, would you say this ride is out for this person? If you are using a manual wheelchair can you ride on the moving walkway? I guess u could shoot through the glass?

If you can't stand for extended periods of time or are a little wobbly on a.moving platform when there is nothing to hold onto, would you say this ride is out for this person? If you are using a manual wheelchair can you ride on the moving walkway? I guess u could shoot through the glass?
It’s possible that you can use a wheelchair (just not an ECV)

Reactions: Darko
Does Universal really need something new every year, or could they have expanded the budget, taken a bit longer, and built a solid Minion’s dark ride using the SLOP ride as a reference?

I truly believe that ride is a home run D-ticket for USH, and something similar would have been a major win for USF.

Whereas this feels like something that will be replaced eventually.

It’s possible that you can use a wheelchair (just not an ECV)
Standard wheelchairs are fine. Users in electric wheelchairs must transfer first to ride.

IMG_6898.jpeg

Does Universal really need something new every year, or could they have expanded the budget, taken a bit longer, and built a solid Minion’s dark ride using the SLOP ride as a reference?

I truly believe that ride is a home run D-ticket for USH, and something similar would have been a major win for USF.

Whereas this feels like something that will be replaced eventually.
Not only is this attraction more accommodating than Pets, which we need more of, they clearly have faith in it, as there are already rumors it will be cloned at the other Studio parks.

Standard wheelchairs are fine. Users in electric wheelchairs must transfer first to ride.

View attachment 19240

Not only is this attraction more accommodating than Pets, which we need more of, they clearly have faith in it, as there are already rumors it will be cloned at the other Studio parks.
Plus, the whole reason the ride version was scrapped in the first place, HHN space.

Reactions: tankart150
I do understand the screen frustration.
I certainly didn’t mean to come off as being frustrated with screens. It’s more that whatever frustrations some might have, universal clearly has better data than anyone here and is making decisions based on that.

I’m more frustrated that they didn’t have any physical props. I wasn’t expecting green goblin fire- but just something minor and low budget. Where even a high school theater department could have built it out of plywood and paint.

But we got… nothing. It just seems a smidge lazy for such a tiny amount of output to elevate it.

As for screens, whatever. It replaced a screen. And it’s better.
It’s a net win. By far- particularly with the minion land area. Anyone who would argue different is just petty (or loved monsters cafe, which I get).