Universal Parks and Resorts & Facial Technology | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Parks and Resorts & Facial Technology

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I think people are missing the big picture here. Universal doesn't really care about capacity within an area which is part of the reason for the open hub. The goal is to make as much money possible and people love eating out in well themed/design areas with good food/entertainment nearby. Additionally, those guests don't impact the data Universal likely is trying to collect in the long term.

The photo validation factor though is the real bread and butter. They don't need to use it like disney use Genie+ because Universal can use this technology to track every moment of your day in a way that magicbands can not.

Ex 1: Guest A enters the park in 4 minutes, he turns right for HTTYD, he enters line 1 for ride attraction at 0934, gets on the ride at 1000, ride breaks down for 20 minutes while Guest A is on it. Guest A manages to ride and get off ride at 1026. Guest A then goes to Mead Hall, in mead hall buys Product A, Product B, Product C for guest A1, A2, A3 who are with him. Guest A1 eats Product A etc... end of day guest A goes to Guest services to complain about ride breakdown and is validated by the photo validation time stamps. (mobile order somewhat helps with allowing Universal to get this data but it still doesn't allow them to see who ate what)

Lets go to the one I'm likely seeing Universal use this more lilkely for seeing as they are becoming way more restrictive on Guest Assistance Passes (GAP) and adding barriers to access due to the fact express is a massive benefit to speak of and each person misusing GAP is a group of people not paying 119 dollars per person.

Ex 2: Guest B has Attraction Assistance Pass for IBS allowing them to get a return time for an attraction via the paper slip. Guest B gets time for attraction 1 which is 75 minutes at 0900. Guest B gets a return time of 1000 to return and get in the expresss line. Guest B decides to get in line for attraction 2 with a wait time of 45 minutes and never leaves the line to use the bathroom. Guest B heads straight to attraction 1 immediately after getting off attraction 2. Universal staff members stops them and ask if they are following the procedures of the Attraction Assistance Pass properly.

While they will initially use this for turnstiles overall, the benefits of tracking each guest and the habits and how they operate in each restuarant, shop, path, etc will allow them to make strategic long term decisions based more so in fact rather than surveys which is generally anonymous and no fool proof way to validate truth. It allows for guests who don't use things like magic bands etc to still track their purchases, their behaviors, and their patterns. It also can be used to help prevent fraud with people lying to get certain benefits and theft of people abusing services. Overall this is a treasure trove of data.

That being said some people might see this as a negative. OMG this company has so much information about me. Facts they do have a lot of information about YOU but this also allows them to create and develop ideas that cater to YOU and people like YOU. If the tracking shows 86% of guests regularly go thrill ride to thrill ride, they will build thrill rides because the path and the data shows that despite surveys saying oh they want dark rides. If they see a bunch of guests move from a ride straight to a restroom, they may take it that the ride profile is causing illness despite not seeing the damage in the buildings.
In addition to the infeasibility of getting this granular with the data (assuming the first iteration of this tech is even capable of tracking to that level), they already have insights into everything you just described. GSATs and per caps measure which attractions perform best…merch sales, F&B activity, and hourly wait time reports approximate guest flows. Adding facial recognition to the mix tells them nothing they can’t already derive from what they’ve already got.

(Though, in reality, you are going to need to place TMs at each land entrance, offsetting the reduction in TMs at the front with the open hub concept...)
If anyone can enter the hub after 6, then there will no longer be a need to have TMs at park entry turnstiles, as anyone can walk in. Those same positions then switch to manning the portal entries instead. Conversely, no need to station TMs at portals during daytime hours if anyone already inside the park has access.

(A security guard or TM will likely be positioned between entry portal and land exit to ensure traffic is flowing in the correct directions all day though.)

I think the issue is less about the tech, and more about how you transmit this idea of an "open hub" to the general public. How do you say "Hey come to our park for free after 6PM, but you can't go into any rides unless you buy an Individual Land Lane or a Buy 2 Get 3 Free Lands Pass After 6PM deal"
If it works the way they want it to it'll be a cluster

If it doesn't work the way they want it to it'll be a boondoggle.

There is not really any winning with this, it's some real MBA brain junk imo

I think people are missing the big picture here. Universal doesn't really care about capacity within an area which is part of the reason for the open hub. The goal is to make as much money possible and people love eating out in well themed/design areas with good food/entertainment nearby. Additionally, those guests don't impact the data Universal likely is trying to collect in the long term.
Just do this with RFID which is a much more reliable and transparent technology. You could even do this exact same thing with phones and iBeacon tech.

If anyone can enter the hub after 6, then there will no longer be a need to have TMs at park entry turnstiles, as anyone can walk in. Those same positions then switch to manning the portal entries instead. Conversely, no need to station TMs at portals during daytime hours if anyone already inside the park has access.
Yea, but past 6 at Uni there’s like maybe 3 people at turnstiles most of the time at USF/IOA. This would require much more staffing. Which from a jobs perspective, great. But from a “we’re trying new dumb ways to monetize parks” position it seems less optimal

Reactions: Stonecoldfreak1
Yea, but past 6 at Uni there’s like maybe 3 people at turnstiles most of the time at USF/IOA. This would require much more staffing. Which from a jobs perspective, great. But from a “we’re trying new dumb ways to monetize parks” position it seems less optimal

Don't worry, parks don't stay open late anyway, no need to staff if the parks close early!

Realistically, I'm excited for them to try this... but it feels like it'll be more of a hassle than a positive situation. I feel like an app that actually works with RFID implementation is more than enough.

So much of Disney/Universal thinking is this. Anything and everything they can do to just ignore the solution to every theme park problem:

Just build more rides, stupid.
A lot of people always say this without realizing that doesn’t really help parks like Disney or Universal. These are already some of the most visited parks in the world so adding a few rides here or there doesn’t really move the needle in terms of easing crowds.

More capacity is a good thing but let’s not act it’s going to solve all these problems.

A lot of people always say this without realizing that doesn’t really help parks like Disney or Universal. These are already some of the most visited parks in the world so adding a few rides here or there doesn’t really move the needle in terms of easing crowds.

More capacity is a good thing but let’s not act it’s going to solve all these problems.
I'm sorry, I cannot take "Actually building more things to do doesn't make crowd dispersal better" serious as a talking point.

Magic Kingdom wait-times rarely exceed 60 minutes for any given attraction, the park has 3x the capacity and attendance of DHS... and yet somehow DHS wait-times average 90+ for multiple attractions (with 120+ minute waits not uncommon).

After spending multiple days at Disneyland... having lots of attractions clearly keeps wait times from getting out of control (assuming there's not a bunch of downtime).
Yea, I was just at Europa Park with something like 60+ attractions across the park, and it was amazing how much stuff was just a walk on.

Every park in Orlando outside of MK is under built…and even MK is under built compared to DL

Magic Kingdom wait-times rarely exceed 60 minutes for any given attraction, the park has 3x the capacity and attendance of DHS... and yet somehow DHS wait-times average 90+ for multiple attractions (with 120+ minute waits not uncommon).
Well that could be before the simple fact the attractions it does have are really popular and good. Also their plenty of days where the wait times are not that high at that park.

Last edited:

As someone who visits both coasts often I couldn't disagree more.
Especially when a ride breaks down, you hardly feel that effect at DLR due to all the nearby rides but at WDW I certainly feel it.
Also not having every corner of the park crowded certainly helps the guest experience, guests do seem more irritable today. DHS suffers the worst from this, it's way more popular than it can handle most days (especially with the main headliner being so temperamental). But other factors come into play as well (Genie+).

As someone who visits both coasts often I couldn't disagree more.
Especially when a ride breaks down, you hardly feel that effect at DLR due to all the nearby rides but at WDW I certainly feel it.
Also not having every corner of the park crowded certainly helps the guest experience, guests do seem more irritable today. DHS suffers the worst from this, it's way more popular than it can handle most days (especially with the main headliner being so temperamental). But other factors come into play as well (Genie+).
Listen I’m not saying WDW couldn’t use more attractions. I don’t even know why this became such a silly debate to begin with.

My thoughts weren’t expressed very well in that post so I will admit that. Honestly I wish this thread didn’t contain such a political undertone.

I understand concerns about companies collecting extremely sensitive information but I don’t believe it’s that serious for me to be up in arms about.

The only way this makes sense to me is if the ultimate goal is to eliminate a bunch of positions at the front turnstiles, like self-checkout did.
So one CM for two tunstyles?

Like it feels like a bad sum game, if two people have issues then those lines back up and.....which is on track for how theme parks treat guests but....yeah this tech seems like something only being added to "cut" jobs years from now and also the rumored way to track people in the park and try to move guests around

That looks like a fairly negligible time savings in the entry process to me.

I continue to struggle to see the benefit. But whatever! I don't work for a giant theme park company.
Yeah, that wasn't any faster than it takes for me to use my fingerprint.

I would love to see Universal implement something like MagicBand, with tickets/passes/hotels/reservations all together, but it doesn't seem like they're interested in anything like that.

Like others have said, I just don't see the benefit. If the goal is to cut TM positions, what's to stop someone from just walking through if the picture doesn't validate?

Things to note:

They’re running in manual mode, which requires a TM for each station. Later it will require less TMs as the system is improved.

Later, the plan is to eliminate all actual physical tickets. A separate station will be where people wait in line, only first time on your trip, where you match your photo to your park ticket credentials. And yes, you can do it beforehand through the app. That way, you just walk into the park. No more turnstiles.

But that won’t start until Epic.

For now, this is essentially replacing fingerprint scanning, as it is at best, faster for some people (like me who has faint fingerprints and requires multiple tries) and at worst, takes the same amount of time.

It took me 4 seconds today. Not bad for first day.

And I got to keep my hat on. So I’m happy.