Universal Parks and Resorts & Facial Technology | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Parks and Resorts & Facial Technology

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Okay, I still do not see how that doesn't create an absolute mess at the land portals, which was my initial point.
It would be tested in the current parks at entry, express lines, park hop, and lockers to get all those kinks worked out,.

Would not be surprised if open hub doesn’t start until a year after epic opens as extra meal capacity gets built and general ops are finetuned

It would be tested in the current parks at entry, express lines, park hop, and lockers to get all those kinks worked out,.

Would not be surprised if open hub doesn’t start until a year after epic opens as extra meal capacity gets built and general ops are finetuned
Oh I'm sure Universal has a multitude of plans they think will help make the concept work.

The problem is those plans will ignore the overall fact that guests never will act the way they think they will. I just don't see this being anything other than a cluster.

It's a real "No, Fastpass will absolutely have people spending more time in shops and restaurants!" level self delusion.

I think the issue is less about the tech, and more about how you transmit this idea of an "open hub" to the general public. How do you say "Hey come to our park for free after 6PM, but you can't go into any rides unless you buy an Individual Land Lane or a Buy 2 Get 3 Free Lands Pass After 6PM deal"

I just don't like any idea that would allow Universal to justify closing the parks (or a land) earlier than they do now. I could see it work on those busy days where a land's capacity could be maxed out and ask guests to reserve a return time and head to another area of the park.

There are definitely solutions available: pre-paid parking (pretty much every regional park has it) for a quick scan-and-go, proper staffing, etc. When traffic causes a backup onto I4 during HHN consistently, that's an accident waiting to happen. Imagine in 2 years when they have double the buses running between EU hotels and the current campus.
Well wouldn't those buses be running along Kirkman? That wouldn't really interfere with parking at all. They could do pre-paid parking but I'm not sure how much that would help. Parks that use prepaid (Seaworld and BGT do it) still get long parking lines too.

Well wouldn't those buses be running along Kirkman? That wouldn't really interfere with parking at all. They could do pre-paid parking but I'm not sure how much that would help. Parks that use prepaid (Seaworld and BGT do it) still get long parking lines too.

I'm sure the Portofino/Hard Rock bus will run through Kirkman, but the other resorts would probably find it easier/faster to travel through Universal BLVD.

SeaWorld/BGT operates like 2 booths (if your lucky) at a time lol - don't use them to compare operations please lol

I used prepaid parking at Hershey Park and it felt like I just ran through the booth lol

I'm sure the Portofino/Hard Rock bus will run through Kirkman, but the other resorts would probably find it easier/faster to travel through Universal BLVD.

SeaWorld/BGT operates like 2 booths (if your lucky) at a time lol - don't use them to compare operations please lol

I used prepaid parking at Hershey Park and it felt like I just ran through the booth lol
It's a shame they're not set up to do it, but Europa park had you paying for parking *when you leave*, which I thought was a pretty brilliant set up.

Reactions: Jerroddragon
It's a shame they're not set up to do it, but Europa park had you paying for parking *when you leave*, which I thought was a pretty brilliant set up.
With Facial Tech, would be nice if you could go through a line and scan's your face and car's plate and let AP's just park

(Let us know if this convo steers off - but I think it fits within the discussion of new tech being placed inside the parks.)

Personally, a faster form of parking would benefit my experience a lot more than facial rec at the parks. It'd get me into the parks a lot quicker and who knows how much more I would spend if I was in a happier mood because I didn't wait half an hour to park.

I just hope facial rec is paired with a new app/resort-wide system that makes it easier to book reservations/improves mobile ordering/etc.

Six Flags is rolling out a parking license plate reader system for passholders, and if they're doing it, I assume Universal could as well.

The issue with so many of these things is that it's great for people who know how to use it, but people will always get in the wrong line and cause issues with something like this. Just like the toll system lanes, someone ends up stopping in the lane when they suddenly realize they're not supposed to be in that lane.

Six Flags is rolling out a parking license plate reader system for passholders, and if they're doing it, I assume Universal could as well.

The issue with so many of these things is that it's great for people who know how to use it, but people will always get in the wrong line and cause issues with something like this. Just like the toll system lanes, someone ends up stopping in the lane when they suddenly realize they're not supposed to be in that lane.

A license plate reader might not be the best solution, but I'd like for them to try something.

I hate to do a Disney v Universal thing (and complain about Uni too much)... but I think it fits the conversation here a bit. Universal is being stingy with free parking - they are literally not letting you pass the toll booth until 6:00:00PM (or midnight during HHN), not a second early. I have free parking, and have the bad timing of arriving there a few minutes before. Unfortunately, those wanting free parking end up blocking the booth, and instead of just letting them go, they hold you there until time. This is where Disney typically would just take the hit and let them pass. I can't imagine letting 3 minutes' worth of cars is going to impact Comcast's stock price.

That’s what they should do. Use the sun pass system. If there was an issue with your pass. Bill in the mail.
It's great at the airport, and all the rental cars have them. Have a Sunpass/E-Pass/etc. lane, a passholder lane, and then a "I only pay cash so the government can't track me" lane.

I could see the late day open 'Hub', if this happens, becoming overly crowded during certain times of the year/events, and as the land's guests disperse into other lands/hub. And then, chaos. And it's not great policy/public relations to have to cut off admission to the area often. Mgt. too often becomes tekkie, instead of good common sense, oriented....I could see this blowing up in their 'faces' ;) , and becoming a PR and Operations nightmare.

I could see the late day open 'Hub', if this happens, becoming overly crowded during certain times of the year/events, and as the land's guests disperse into other lands/hub. And then, chaos. And it's not great policy/public relations to have to cut off admission to the area often. Mgt. too often becomes tekkie, instead of good common sense, oriented....I could see this blowing up in their 'faces' ;) , and becoming a PR and Operations nightmare.

It's become a tradition for Universal to mess something up operationally/marketing-wise. It's nostalgic!

• Haha
Reactions: Mad Dog
I think the hub sounds great… but it’s not Citywalk. Not enough restaurants to support that type of crowd. They must hope enough people go back to Citywalk to support this decision.

I foresee, unavailable dining reservations, long waits, and a lot of people standing around. It feels like a mess frankly.

Reactions: Mad Dog
I think people are missing the big picture here. Universal doesn't really care about capacity within an area which is part of the reason for the open hub. The goal is to make as much money possible and people love eating out in well themed/design areas with good food/entertainment nearby. Additionally, those guests don't impact the data Universal likely is trying to collect in the long term.

The photo validation factor though is the real bread and butter. They don't need to use it like disney use Genie+ because Universal can use this technology to track every moment of your day in a way that magicbands can not.

Ex 1: Guest A enters the park in 4 minutes, he turns right for HTTYD, he enters line 1 for ride attraction at 0934, gets on the ride at 1000, ride breaks down for 20 minutes while Guest A is on it. Guest A manages to ride and get off ride at 1026. Guest A then goes to Mead Hall, in mead hall buys Product A, Product B, Product C for guest A1, A2, A3 who are with him. Guest A1 eats Product A etc... end of day guest A goes to Guest services to complain about ride breakdown and is validated by the photo validation time stamps. (mobile order somewhat helps with allowing Universal to get this data but it still doesn't allow them to see who ate what)

Lets go to the one I'm likely seeing Universal use this more lilkely for seeing as they are becoming way more restrictive on Guest Assistance Passes (GAP) and adding barriers to access due to the fact express is a massive benefit to speak of and each person misusing GAP is a group of people not paying 119 dollars per person.

Ex 2: Guest B has Attraction Assistance Pass for IBS allowing them to get a return time for an attraction via the paper slip. Guest B gets time for attraction 1 which is 75 minutes at 0900. Guest B gets a return time of 1000 to return and get in the expresss line. Guest B decides to get in line for attraction 2 with a wait time of 45 minutes and never leaves the line to use the bathroom. Guest B heads straight to attraction 1 immediately after getting off attraction 2. Universal staff members stops them and ask if they are following the procedures of the Attraction Assistance Pass properly.

While they will initially use this for turnstiles overall, the benefits of tracking each guest and the habits and how they operate in each restuarant, shop, path, etc will allow them to make strategic long term decisions based more so in fact rather than surveys which is generally anonymous and no fool proof way to validate truth. It allows for guests who don't use things like magic bands etc to still track their purchases, their behaviors, and their patterns. It also can be used to help prevent fraud with people lying to get certain benefits and theft of people abusing services. Overall this is a treasure trove of data.

That being said some people might see this as a negative. OMG this company has so much information about me. Facts they do have a lot of information about YOU but this also allows them to create and develop ideas that cater to YOU and people like YOU. If the tracking shows 86% of guests regularly go thrill ride to thrill ride, they will build thrill rides because the path and the data shows that despite surveys saying oh they want dark rides. If they see a bunch of guests move from a ride straight to a restroom, they may take it that the ride profile is causing illness despite not seeing the damage in the buildings.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: OrlLover
I think people are missing the big picture here. Universal doesn't really care about capacity within an area which is part of the reason for the open hub. The goal is to make as much money possible and people love eating out in well themed/design areas with good food/entertainment nearby. Additionally, those guests don't impact the data Universal likely is trying to collect in the long term.

The photo validation factor though is the real bread and butter. They don't need to use it like disney use Genie+ because Universal can use this technology to track every moment of your day in a way that magicbands can not.

Ex 1: Guest A enters the park in 4 minutes, he turns right for HTTYD, he enters line 1 for ride attraction at 0934, gets on the ride at 1000, ride breaks down for 20 minutes while Guest A is on it. Guest A manages to ride and get off ride at 1026. Guest A then goes to Mead Hall, in mead hall buys Product A, Product B, Product C for guest A1, A2, A3 who are with him. Guest A1 eats Product A etc... end of day guest A goes to Guest services to complain about ride breakdown and is validated by the photo validation time stamps. (mobile order somewhat helps with allowing Universal to get this data but it still doesn't allow them to see who ate what)

Lets go to the one I'm likely seeing Universal use this more lilkely for seeing as they are becoming way more restrictive on Guest Assistance Passes (GAP) and adding barriers to access due to the fact express is a massive benefit to speak of and each person misusing GAP is a group of people not paying 119 dollars per person.

Ex 2: Guest B has Attraction Assistance Pass for IBS allowing them to get a return time for an attraction via the paper slip. Guest B gets time for attraction 1 which is 75 minutes at 0900. Guest B gets a return time of 1000 to return and get in the expresss line. Guest B decides to get in line for attraction 2 with a wait time of 45 minutes and never leaves the line to use the bathroom. Guest B heads straight to attraction 1 immediately after getting off attraction 2. Universal staff members stops them and ask if they are following the procedures of the Attraction Assistance Pass properly.

While they will initially use this for turnstiles overall, the benefits of tracking each guest and the habits and how they operate in each restuarant, shop, path, etc will allow them to make strategic long term decisions based more so in fact rather than surveys which is generally anonymous and no fool proof way to validate truth. It allows for guests who don't use things like magic bands etc to still track their purchases, their behaviors, and their patterns. It also can be used to help prevent fraud with people lying to get certain benefits and theft of people abusing services. Overall this is a treasure trove of data.

That being said some people might see this as a negative. OMG this company has so much information about me. Facts they do have a lot of information about YOU but this also allows them to create and develop ideas that cater to YOU and people like YOU. If the tracking shows 86% of guests regularly go thrill ride to thrill ride, they will build thrill rides because the path and the data shows that despite surveys saying oh they want dark rides. If they see a bunch of guests move from a ride straight to a restroom, they may take it that the ride profile is causing illness despite not seeing the damage in the buildings.
Imma be straight with you, none of this will ever happen. It’s a load of data that will tell them nothing new about the habits of guests, which will boil down to:
-People rode the rides
-They got some snacks/meals
-They maybe bought a t-shirt.
No one is going to be analyzing things to the microscopic level like this.

Imma be straight with you, none of this will ever happen. It’s a load of data that will tell them nothing new about the habits of guests, which will boil down to:
-People rode the rides
-They got some snacks/meals
-They maybe bought a t-shirt.
No one is going to be analyzing things to the microscopic level like this.

Bingo - Disney has made several attempts at this... and so far it hasn't moved the needle much. The only reason why per capita at the WDW parks increases every year is because of all the penny-pinching they've done recently with Genie, Dessert Parties, etc. The Magic Band only made money because Disney realized they could sell different designs... but the data gathered from it was rather useless.

Photo validation to me looks like it'll allow them to run about the same number of turnstiles with a lower headcount. That's really where the bulk of savings will come from. (Though, in reality, you are going to need to place TMs at each land entrance, offsetting the reduction in TMs at the front with the open hub concept...)

I think the tech is going to work amazing for park entry, payments, and automatically saving photos on an app... but I don't see any advantages outside of that. Universal already has data on which attractions are popular, what merchandise is purchased, and where guests tend to congregate causing bottlenecks.

If a Comcast/Universal Executive really wants to know how people are responding to the parks and how to make the best decision... maybe visit the park as a normal guest instead of sticking behind a computer crunching numbers?