Universal Parks and Resorts & Facial Technology | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Parks and Resorts & Facial Technology

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Well a photo does get taken for manual verification by TMs in case of a mismatch or system error, But It is limited in nature and photos do get deleted

That's also not really any different than what Disneyland does for multiday tickets, and those photos *are* stored.

Reactions: Nico
The SeaWorld parks also store passholder pictures, but people can opt out.

Many places are using facial recognition-- Disney uses it extensively. That's part of how people who have been "trespassed" get caught by security.

A photo isn't matched but the data they read from a photo (or face scan.
After that the unique facial data will be stored on a mainframe and camera's will facescan the visitors and mach their data to the data on the mainframe. If there is a match (you have bought a ticket) you can walk on, if not the system can track you and will point you out to a team member who will check if the system made an error or if you are not allowed to enter. After the scan (just like they did with your fingers) the image of your face isn't needed theoretically. Going to the park you will give you consensus of being filmed and photographed anyway as that will happen for ride photo's and safety.
Facial-Recognition.png

Reactions: tankart150
The opt-in/opt-out choice will be not to go.

But yes - there are laws in place, and from what I understand - this doesn't take your picture as much as reads a biometric of your face.

I had heard no opt out as well.

FWIW, I always had trouble at WDW. I guess I was flagged for too many resets. One of those folks that helps the turnstile attendants came and took my photo with an iPAD. Ever since, I always seem to 'pass' on my 2nd try. Not sure if the two are related, but I found it interesting that I always pass the 2nd scan.

I had heard no opt out as well.

FWIW, I always had trouble at WDW. I guess I was flagged for too many resets. One of those folks that helps the turnstile attendants came and took my photo with an iPAD. Ever since, I always seem to 'pass' on my 2nd try. Not sure if the two are related, but I found it interesting that I always pass the 2nd scan.
My AP right now lets me show my ID over the finger scanner

So I hope there is a way to continue that

And if you have it on file that you show ID instead of using your fingerprint, how do they match you on screen to ensure it is you?

Do they, perhaps, have a photo of you? I know that's what SeaWorld Parks do anyway.

And if you have it on file that you show ID instead of using your fingerprint, how do they match you on screen to ensure it is you?

Do they, perhaps, have a photo of you? I know that's what SeaWorld Parks do anyway.
Nope. They just put a sticker on your AP saying show ID, and show them photo ID, like a driver's license. Quick and easy. Did it for three or four years. Alene's finger match quit working well also, so they did the same for her. It ended up saving so much time over the going back and forth on trying another finger match. That way it didn't hold up the line.

Nope. They just put a sticker on your AP saying show ID, and show them photo ID, like a driver's license. Quick and easy. Did it for three or four years. Alene's finger match quit working well also, so they did the same for her. It ended up saving so much time over the going back and forth on trying another finger match. That way it didn't hold up the line.
Yea my fingerprint is fading away so I’ve considered it.

Yea my fingerprint is fading away so I’ve considered it.
Easy. We just showed our driver's license along with the sticker on the back of the AP card. The attendant takes a quick look and lets you through. Way faster than fumbling with the machine scan that quit working with our older fingers. Less delineation as you age, I would guess.....Hope the facial recognition tech has vastly improved. It was slow as molasses with the hotel express passes when they used it.

My AP right now lets me show my ID over the finger scanner

So I hope there is a way to continue that

I imagine we won't know until it is implemented. I have heard there is an opt out AND I have heard there is not an opt out. I saw @Brian G. state "The opt-in/opt-out choice will be not to go." so I assume he heard the opt out was not an option, at least that is how interpreted what he had said.

I have not known people long enough to know who proves out to be reliable.

I believe they both said they were AP'ers, so their name would be on their account. When I picked up my RoF this year, I needed to give the birth date for the three of us in my family -- so there is data in the system that could be checked on an ID (for passes anyway)

Even if you opt out, the system is still going to record your face data and track you. You can still walk up to someone and have them physically scan your ticket, but the system is still going to track you to make sure you do that. It may just give the security at the gate an "unknown person" type warning for you, but it's still got to record your data to compare it to the database to know that you want to scan your ticket.

But yeah, if you don't want it to do that, your option is to not go to Universal.