"Old School" Universal Orlando | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

"Old School" Universal Orlando

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Love this pic :)

Untitled-7.png

Contrast:

Untitled-8.png

Last edited:
From Screamscape:

(3/10/10) Here’s a video any fan of Universal Studios Florida just has to see… a complete look at the original version of Jaws when it first very briefly opened back in 1990 with the rest of the park. Very few people actually had the chance to ride this version of the ride because it was quickly shut down due to severe technical problems that kept it shut for the next three years until they could rebuild it nearly from scratch. While it lacks many of today’s new pyrotechnic effects as well as the finale, you do get a good look at the one really unique effect lost from the first version of the ride. This is when the shark seems to grab the side of the boat and proceeds to drag it around in the water. (Video credit goes to Screamscape reader, Martin Smith.)[video=youtube;Reuzbqnaos4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Reuzbqnaos4[/video]

:pop:

Yeah i watched that the other day i like the shark attack bit but i do love the current show so i think if the was to mix the two shows, like when the lake goes on fire it could be like your trapped and then the shark could attack you and try to pull you under im sure with the technology they now have that is posssible.

Yeah i watched that the other day i like the shark attack bit but i do love the current show so i think if the was to mix the two shows, like when the lake goes on fire it could be like your trapped and then the shark could attack you and try to pull you under im sure with the technology they now have that is posssible.

I read up on the subject, and it's all a mechanical problem. They were trying to get two moving objects (the boat and the shark) to come in synchronized contact with each other, over and over again, hundreds of times a day. It doesn't seem like it would be any easier to do this today with the rebuilt track system.

The original parking garage looks crazy compared to now! I noticed that Hollywood and Woody Woodpecker's Kidzone have remained virtually untouched by demolitions and changes. I really wish I could've seen attractions like Kongfrontation and the Alfred Hitchcock show. If only Universal would add and not detract. But I guess it shows us that we have to appreciate our favorite rides while they're there. This is starting to sound emotional and I didn't mean for it to come out that way loll.

What parking garage? There was no parking garage in the beginning. It was one huge parking lot similar to disney. I really like the old universal studios florida sign, you know the one with all of the neon lights. I used to have a shirt with that graphic on it. The first time I went we stayed in a motel six just outside of the park. You could see the pyrotechnics from the stunt show. Those were the days.

What parking garage? There was no parking garage in the beginning. It was one huge parking lot similar to disney. I really like the old universal studios florida sign, you know the one with all of the neon lights. I used to have a shirt with that graphic on it. The first time I went we stayed in a motel six just outside of the park. You could see the pyrotechnics from the stunt show. Those were the days.

Lol I meant parking lot.

That effect with Jaws pulling the boat was cool but other than that it was kinda boring.

I like today's show better because the encounter with Jaws is a lot better and who doesn't like explosions. :thumbs:

That effect with Jaws pulling the boat was cool but other than that it was kinda boring.

I like today's show better because the encounter with Jaws is a lot better and who doesn't like explosions. :thumbs:

Agreed. If they just added the pulling effect, it'd be great! I wonder if they can handle that technology now better than before.

First of all, I must say I love this thread. So many good memories of the old school Studios park, and it has really made me miss Kong even more. What a terrific ride.

Also, I was pumped to finally see the first itteration of Jaws. That pulling effect is pretty awesome, although I do think the new ride is much, much better than the old one.

And take Kong away!:'(

Also I think most of Citywalk and the Portofino was open when that map was printed but what ever.