Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

"Old School" Universal Orlando

Found this pretty cool by the looks of it its in the late stages of IOA construction :D

64l9xf.png

this is why i love this site! just think around that time a bunch a palm trees and who knows what kind of animals were just chilling where hp is now :)

If you guys miss Kong. When you come to Las Vegas, go inside New York New York and walk around the facades their. You instantly feel like your walking on those Kong set's.

If you guys miss Kong. When you come to Las Vegas, go inside New York New York and walk around the facades their. You instantly feel like your walking on those Kong set's.

Agreed, minus of course the graffiti and stank tourists oh wait. Minus the graffiti.

Just looked through the whole thread. I wish the Studios park would still make use of the 'lake' in the middle like the Miami Vice? stunt show. That's the kinda stuff that it's currently lacking. The only in park entertainment I remember from 4 years ago was the Blues Bros and Egyptian stiltwalkers.

Also, the Kong AA looked incredible. Wish they would bring that back. 20 year old technology putting the Disco Yeti over at DAK to shame!

Could someone explain/show me where the Psycho House/Bates Motel was located?

Just looked through the whole thread. I wish the Studios park would still make use of the 'lake' in the middle like the Miami Vice? stunt show. That's the kinda stuff that it's currently lacking. The only in park entertainment I remember from 4 years ago was the Blues Bros and Egyptian stiltwalkers.

Also, the Kong AA looked incredible. Wish they would bring that back. 20 year old technology putting the Disco Yeti over at DAK to shame!

Could someone explain/show me where the Psycho House/Bates Motel was located?

Near the back of Kidzone near where Curious George Goes to Town is no located.

Well folks, with you-know-what closing in three days, I figured now is the time to introduce to this thread with a tribute to start it off.

Here are many photos of the attraction (before they added that disgraceful new Nickelodeon logo to everything). I will add more over time.

DSCF5820.jpg

DSCF5823.jpg

IMG_0524.jpg

DSCF5825.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

IMG_0245.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0227.jpg

IMG_0506.jpg

IMG_0245.jpg

IMG_0243.jpg

DSCF5783.jpg

DSCF5770.jpg

IMG_0256.jpg

IMG_0528.jpg

Picture029.jpg

Picture019.jpg

DSCF5775.jpg

So, with Nicktoon Blast now closing, I will now state my full feelings on the attraction.

There were many things I loved about it. I thought it captured the spirit of the source materials very well, so if you have an affinity for these things, you probably will feel like a part of these Nicktoon worlds. I personally don't understand why anyone would say otherwise. I felt the ride captured the typical aspects of a Nicktoon: fun, humorous, with the occasional moment of pure thrill. In turn, I do not believe the thrill aspect worked very well for Hanna-Barbera. I feel that it would have been better if they had made it a dark ride instead.

The jokes in the attraction were quite very witty, with some of the best lines coming from Carl.

The story of the attraction is actually quite clever, as it focuses on Ooblar's own impulsiveness and incompetence, with King Goobot really being the secondary villain of the ride.

The animation of the attraction was wonderfully well done as well, looking very nice and colorful. Plus the environments were very creative and different from each other, whether it be the busy streets of Arnold's Neighborhood, the large house of the Rugrats, the colorful and cloudy Fairy World, the creepy Yolkian Planet, and finally the underwater town of Bikini Bottom. Probably one of the best aspects of the attraction were all of the hidden details and hidden characters that were scattered around throughout the ride film. There's something new to see with every ride.

They also did a great job with the special effects in the ride, from water spraying, to bubbles, to lasers, a whole lot of extra details here and there.

I also honestly don't understand why everyone goes on about the ride being uncomfortable. I guess it just depends on the person. I have been able to ride this ride all day without getting sick or hurt.

This ride certainly deserved a better budget, as it was not a great ride by any means. But, I thought that it was definitely impressive for what it is. Simply repainting things around from Hanna-Barbera actually worked surprisingly well for this ride, as the theming matched Jimmy Neutron quite well. I dislike it how people say that this is a near clone of its predecessor, the only similarities between the story of the two rides was that it was a chase through various worlds. Aside from that, they were both completely different. So, IMO, I can't really see that as a valid argument. And quite frankly I thought the rocket chase storyline worked well for this ride. Do not fix what is not broken.

And there you have it. My closing tribute and defense of Jimmy Neutron's Nicktoon Blast. Should the ride have been made better? Yes. But do I think it was very good they way it was executed? Yes. And I think that there's a lot of charm to the attraction and for me, it will be missed. For the longest time, I have felt that this attraction has received an overwhelming amount of bashing, so I naturally felt the need to speak in its defense. But oh well.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Last edited:
You obviously cared very deeply about this ride. But it suffered from the same fate as its predecessor: they both were built for a limited shelf life. Neither incarnation was ever meant to be a Jaws type ride that will never close. It was a kid's ride first and foremost. It thrives on being relevant to kids in order to draw them in. The second the shows got canceled was the second the death clock started ticking. I know relevancy does not matter most of the time, but in this case it does. It's not meant to be a marquee attraction, it's something to draw in the kids. Yeah the ride was pretty good, but so was the one that came before it. And I'm sure DM will continue that trend. The ride was no Superstar Limo, but it was not great either. It kind of just was. If it had smoother programming, I'm sure it would have been a bigger hit. But it was what it was, and I'm sure Universal will improve the attraction with care.

You obviously cared very deeply about this ride. But it suffered from the same fate as its predecessor: they both were built for a limited shelf life. Neither incarnation was ever meant to be a Jaws type ride that will never close. It was a kid's ride first and foremost. It thrives on being relevant to kids in order to draw them in. The second the shows got canceled was the second the death clock started ticking. I know relevancy does not matter most of the time, but in this case it does. It's not meant to be a marquee attraction, it's something to draw in the kids. Yeah the ride was pretty good, but so was the one that came before it. And I'm sure DM will continue that trend. The ride was no Superstar Limo, but it was not great either. It kind of just was. If it had smoother programming, I'm sure it would have been a bigger hit. But it was what it was, and I'm sure Universal will improve the attraction with care.

This, I know I won't miss it in the slightest. I'd maybe ride it once in a vacation to Orlando and I'd visit Universal several times. I actually think DM will be a better ride. And look forward to a new ride at UOR which is actually a Universal Studios movie.

Look who a couple of Reddit posters found pictures of while digging through there on Universal Studios Florida pics.
TAZfa.jpg

eALbK.jpg

Yes ladies and gentlemen, that's Wayne Brady as a Ghostbuster.