Disney Acquiring Lucasfilm | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney Acquiring Lucasfilm

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I have no worries. Disney has done great work in their joint ventures with Pixar, Muppet Studios and Marvel. From as far as I can tell, Disney lets each studio do their own thing, mostly as was operated before, so as to not disturb the flow of things, and just is there to distribute each movie and cash in at the end. As long as the right people are chosen for the project, it should go fine.

As a die hard SW fan since the age of 3 (after seeing ROTJ when I was 3) I can honestly say :

This is the best piece of news we have had in a long time. SW as a brand has suffered since 1999 and it all started with those terrible prequels and the only high point being The Clone Wars TV Series. Most of the stuff in between has been bad, worse or just merchandise.

Disney have turned Marvel around and I have every faith in them doing to for Star Wars. One of the biggest problems with Star Wars has always been George Lucas. ANH was a one off in my book, he didn't have the money or resources to do everything he wanted plus he had his wife helping with the script.

The Directors made the next two films their own meaning they could weed out George's whims not deemed suitable. Fast Forward to 1999 and we have George Lucas in full swing as a director with no one to say "Hey George that probably isn't a good idea to do x,y and z".

Bring on Episode 7 Disney for that is what I will judge you on but things cannot get worse.

i wouldn't mind seeing Peter Jackson have a whack at one of the Star Wars films. But Disney will probably choose someone like Chris Columbus.

EW.com threw out J. J. Abrams as an option. I do like what he did with the Star Trek reboot. Super 8 not so much.

Nolan is a great film maker, but I don't think he is a great fit for the Star Wars Universe.

Hell, let's just get Spielberg!

Last edited:
I ask all of you to go watch the new trilogy. Do it. After you watch it try to tell me that Lucas not having creative control over the new trilogy is a bad thing, then we can have a serious discussion.

As a comic nerd I must write that yeah Marvel was fine before Disney came along. Now if Universal were to buy the rights to IDW comics and change MSHI to a GiJoe themed island that would be something amazing. :) IDW already publishes the biggest titles in comics now with GiJor,Transformers and The Walking Dead. :thumbs:

- - - Updated - - -

....gi joe lol :rofl: auto correct hates me lol

- - - Updated - - -

And IDW also publishes Ghostbusters,Star Trek and TMNT comics as well. They would be a better fit for Universal. :cheers:

As a comic nerd I must write that yeah Marvel was fine before Disney came along. Now if Universal were to buy the rights to IDW comics and change MSHI to a GiJoe themed island that would be something amazing. :) IDW already publishes the biggest titles in comics now with GiJor,Transformers and The Walking Dead. :thumbs:

- - - Updated - - -

....gi joe lol :rofl: auto correct hates me lol

- - - Updated - - -

And IDW also publishes Ghostbusters,Star Trek and TMNT comics as well. They would be a better fit for Universal. :cheers:

IDW's top selling comics are like...80th on the list of top selling comics every month.

Don't get me wrong, I freaking love IDW's work (especially their new TMNT series), but in no way, shape or form is it a good idea to get rid of Marvel for IDW.

Now, a TMNT ride in KidZone is a different story.:look:

The good thing is that Episode 7 through 9 have literally been written in some really successful and well received books. Unless they really deviate they have these movies in the bag, not to mention I wouldn't be surprised to see some kind of Old Republic tv show in a few years.

According to this Lucasfilm source, the new trilogy will be completely original... http://iphone.eonline.com/article?id=358685

"In other words, forget the Star Wars novels. Forget the graphic novels. Forget everything you think you know about what happened to Luke Skywalker. According to my sources, Episode 7 will literally be nothing you’ve ever seen or read before from the Star Wars universe."

^^^That's disappointing. The Thrawn storyline is so strong.

I have hope the movies will be just as good though.

It was an awesome read.
Also liked the Jedi Academy and a few of the other HBs like The Courtship of Princess Leia.

- - - Updated - - -

I gotta take issue with this.

Marvel was fine before Disney. Disney has done nothing to change Marvel.

Agreed.