Disney Acquiring Lucasfilm | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney Acquiring Lucasfilm

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Actually yes. People on here did say it will flop. Secondly... Sequels to Star Wars are a bit different. Lucas always said he envisioned 7-9 during the 80's. It's not like Disney said "Hey, lets acquire LucasFilm to make more." Plus, there are many questions that would be great if they answered. Did Luke restart the Jedi Order and restore it back to the glory days? Is anyone upset the Empire was defeated? It goes on...

Does the Ewoks celebration after taking down the empire ever end??

But seriously, I'm really skeptical right now until I know more. And I'll end up seeing it no matter what. There is no way this will flop. Even if doesn't do as well in the US for whatever reason, it will still do great internationally, be helped by 3D prices, and still do fantastic in toys, games, etc.. all associated with the movie, and the home video release. It's almost impossible for it to flop.

I'm surprised no one has really mentioned the Indy side of this deal. Any chance Disney could possibly turn around the utter embarrassment that has become the Indiana Jones franchise since the last movie? I would love to see another Indy if it was done right. I couldn't bare to see it finish with the Crystal Skull. I don't remember the latest rumors on another movie. just a thought.

I'm surprised no one has really mentioned the Indy side of this deal. Any chance Disney could possibly turn around the utter embarrassment that has become the Indiana Jones franchise since the last movie? I would love to see another Indy if it was done right. I couldn't bare to see it finish with the Crystal Skull. I don't remember the latest rumors on another movie. just a thought.

Not sure if it was mentioned in this topic or not, but it was mentioned that Paramount still owns some rights to Indy and it's a little more complicated (like them owning rights to some Marvel movies when Disney bought them.) They aren't that concerned about it right now; they basically bought Star Wars and Indy seems to be an afterthought currently.

Actually yes. People on here did say it will flop. Secondly... Sequels to Star Wars are a bit different. Lucas always said he envisioned 7-9 during the 80's. It's not like Disney said "Hey, lets acquire LucasFilm to make more." Plus, there are many questions that would be great if they answered. Did Luke restart the Jedi Order and restore it back to the glory days? Is anyone upset the Empire was defeated? It goes on...

I think they are more referring to a quality flop, then in terms of earnings, just like ep 1,2 were. Its not really that different because there were plans to make more BTTF movie at the time of the third movie but were canceled due to Michael J Fox illness. Well yes there are those sorts of questions but they are not the sort of questions I meant, the questions I meant are the ones where you really wish you knew what happened, such as an event is about to occur but the film ends before it happens, or a story that can easily be continued. In SW, the story line finished, the empire was defeated and there were no up risings of another form of power. There are none of those sorts of questions which make a good sequel, for example BTTF the sequels followed on from each other, the original SW trilogy they followed on. Then there are the ones that don't follow on from the first and slowly get worse and worse, Pirates, Transformers, Jurassic Park (this one depends on the reason you watch the movies). I am not saying they are all like that but when you have a huge story line like, SW it basically has to have some form of need for another movie other wise things start to lack, due to the lack of creativity in the writer because they need to create an original story in an already existing environment.

Call me asinine, call me ignorant, call me a uni fanboy, etc etc... Look I enjoy Disney World. I love to just get away at a theme park for a day and have some fun, I have fun at WDW and Id certainly have fun in their other parks which I wanna see one day, Ive always had an issue with why Disney takes timeless classics and tries to continue them. I never said they're all bad, some of them are. Star Wars won't flop, I just heard today that it was following the storyline of after VI and not straying off to some random storyline so that intrigues me. In terms of uni fanboy- yea all the way. Ive been a fanatic ever since i was a kid and learned that my grandfather can get us free tickets, Disney (down here) just doesnt have everything Im interested in and how they take care of their parks here in orlando really bothers me.

Star Wars won't flop, but it just doesnt interest me anymore.

Call me asinine, call me ignorant, call me a uni fanboy, etc etc... Look I enjoy Disney World. I love to just get away at a theme park for a day and have some fun, I have fun at WDW and Id certainly have fun in their other parks which I wanna see one day, Ive always had an issue with why Disney takes timeless classics and tries to continue them. I never said they're all bad, some of them are. Star Wars won't flop, I just heard today that it was following the storyline of after VI and not straying off to some random storyline so that intrigues me. In terms of uni fanboy- yea all the way. Ive been a fanatic ever since i was a kid and learned that my grandfather can get us free tickets, Disney (down here) just doesnt have everything Im interested in and how they take care of their parks here in orlando really bothers me.

Star Wars won't flop, but it just doesnt interest me anymore.

When I say fanboy, it's aimed at the people who think Star Wars isn't in the same class as Potter as far as potential and marketability. If you have no interest in the movies planned, that's all well and good. Ep 1-3 (esp 1 and 2) weren't exactly the best thing to happen to the franchise so I can understand when someone has trepidations. That said, if Disney plans on adding a land or a huge attraction based on the franchise, and the "Uni fanboys" write it off; then I have a bit of a problem...and it seems the only reason why they do write it off is because they want to turn a blind eye to the potential success of the land. As if this huge hole will form in your souls because god forbid Disney can pull something with huge potential off. Honestly, you all should be thrilled if they do plan on adding something. The best thing to happen to any company is competition, and if WDW decides to start "really" retaliating with these moves, than you're in for a treat because at the end of the day, a Universal fan is a theme park fan and theme parks are about to have another renaissance.

Also, I don't know why you would single out Disney as taking classics and try to continue them. All movie studios do so. Hence why we are getting our 3rd Batman and another Bourne trilogy.

I think they are more referring to a quality flop, then in terms of earnings, just like ep 1,2 were. Its not really that different because there were plans to make more BTTF movie at the time of the third movie but were canceled due to Michael J Fox illness. Well yes there are those sorts of questions but they are not the sort of questions I meant, the questions I meant are the ones where you really wish you knew what happened, such as an event is about to occur but the film ends before it happens, or a story that can easily be continued. In SW, the story line finished, the empire was defeated and there were no up risings of another form of power. There are none of those sorts of questions which make a good sequel, for example BTTF the sequels followed on from each other, the original SW trilogy they followed on. Then there are the ones that don't follow on from the first and slowly get worse and worse, Pirates, Transformers, Jurassic Park (this one depends on the reason you watch the movies). I am not saying they are all like that but when you have a huge story line like, SW it basically has to have some form of need for another movie other wise things start to lack, due to the lack of creativity in the writer because they need to create an original story in an already existing environment.

BttF was never envisioned as anything else but a trilogy. Any talk about a sequel came from fan-fervor, and never really started gaining momentum until the early 2000's. Part 4 has been continuously denied from all people involved, with Fox's condition only being a part of the "No". It was not the reason it was a "No". Star Wars was envisioned as a 3-part trilogy from the get-go (like when Ep 4 was being filmed and all actors in on the plan). The plan was always 4-6, 1-3, then finally 7-9. The only reason 7-9 has been written off in recent years was because Lucas was exhausted from the film-making process on one franchise (Hence the years between Ep 6 and Ep 1). You may not feel there is a story to be told, but Lucas always planned for one to be told. Transformers, Pirates, JP are all different scenarios as they were one-offs that studios decided that the franchise needed to be expanded upon (Having said that, JP is a different scenario since it's based on the 2 books that were released). From the success of the novels that take place after Ep. 6, I can say there are plenty of storylines to be expanded upon, especially original ones. Sorry man, you're viewpoint is way off base on this one.

When I say fanboy, it's aimed at the people who think Star Wars isn't in the same class as Potter as far as potential and marketability. If you have no interest in the movies planned, that's all well and good. Ep 1-3 (esp 1 and 2) weren't exactly the best thing to happen to the franchise so I can understand when someone has trepidations. That said, if Disney plans on adding a land or a huge attraction based on the franchise, and the "Uni fanboys" write it off; then I have a bit of a problem...and it seems the only reason why they do write it off is because they want to turn a blind eye to the potential success of the land. As if this huge hole will form in your souls because god forbid Disney can pull something with huge potential off. Honestly, you all should be thrilled if they do plan on adding something. The best thing to happen to any company is competition, and if WDW decides to start "really" retaliating with these moves, than you're in for a treat because at the end of the day, a Universal fan is a theme park fan and theme parks are about to have another renaissance.

Also, I don't know why you would single out Disney as taking classics and try to continue them. All movie studios do so. Hence why we are getting our 3rd Batman and another Bourne trilogy.

I see, well I certainly believe that HP isn't out of the league of Star Wars, it's Star Wars for goodness sake. 1-3 were not very good as you said and yea I'm a little worried, depending on who they get the director to be will play a big part in whether or not my interest remains. BUT with that said IF Disney does something with this in their theme parks that would be awesome! Someone was brainstorming about a possible 3rd Disney Park with Star Wars theming and the ideas that started cranking were pretty intense, the only reservation I have is the "IF" part of the conversation. People here have made the argument that Disney has had the rights for theme parks to this property but haven't done much...I'd love to see business boom again, I LOVE watching Universal try and one up Disney and so forth, so IF something happens in the theme parks here in Orlando then my reservations will be quieted and I'll join the ranks.

And yes I know Batman's all over the place, multiple spiderman's swinging around New York City, so many Jason Bourne characters runnin around, its CRAZINESS! lol. My point was to the fact that while all those movies you mentioned were re-made great! Disney (in my humble opinion) is GREAT at making movies, especially animated...but of late when they add to movies i.e (cars 2, cinderella 2,3..) they dont turn out well. Now granted I throw my hands up when it comes to box office ratings etc...I've seen these movies and I didnt like them- especially Cars 2. The first Cars was incredible but well yea...Im not saying all Disney re-makes or sequels are bad (I almost cried at the end of Toy Story 3, come on! haha) it's just been in my experience that they have the tendency to just keep adding on and on and on to some movies that just simply belong in the past. Tis all.

Rumors of Disney planing to make stand alone spin off's from Star Wars. Exactly the kinda thing I had feared. They are going to run the franchise until it dies. Why can't companies just leave things alone and not make constant spin offs remakes, reboots, etc of classic films, just let them remain classic, don't destroy them. I know people will love it just because its star wars but I mean come on enough is enough. I hope these rumors are false. Now no having a go at me this time.

Rumors of Disney planing to make stand alone spin off's from Star Wars. Exactly the kinda thing I had feared. They are going to run the franchise until it dies. Why can't companies just leave things alone and not make constant spin offs remakes, reboots, etc of classic films, just let them remain classic, don't destroy them. I know people will love it just because its star wars but I mean come on enough is enough. I hope these rumors are false. Now no having a go at me this time.

Lucasarts was already doing this to be honest and they've only just got the rights to the property you can't really condemn yet. I just hope they build an amazing land and not something disappointing.

They can make whatever the hell they want if they give me a good Boba Fett film. They're movies. Whatever happens in the future won't do anything to the original franchise. It'll still be great, still be classic, and the only people that will care are whiny fanboys. Star Wars is an incredible universe, and they'd be foolish not to explore every avenue possible.

Terrible idea. Flooding the marketplace with Star Wars is terrible for the overall health of the franchise and the company.

Star Wars is not The Avengers. It is an event film that requires build up and a large cast of characters. I don't need to know about Han Solo or Yoda's past. Needless backstory and trivial details is one of the worst things about the prequels. Now we get one movie like that a year. Yay.

Terrible idea. Flooding the marketplace with Star Wars is terrible for the overall health of the franchise and the company.

Star Wars is not The Avengers. It is an event film that requires build up and a large cast of characters. I don't need to know about Han Solo or Yoda's past. Needless backstory and trivial details is one of the worst things about the prequels. Now we get one movie like that a year. Yay.

I haven't read about the rumors. They want to churn them out like Marvel? Then yeah, that's pretty stupid. But if after this trilogy we got a couple solo films, I'd be all for it. You can still include other characters, and introduce others into the fold.

I haven't read about the rumors. They want to churn them out like Marvel? Then yeah, that's pretty stupid. But if after this trilogy we got a couple solo films, I'd be all for it. You can still include other characters, and introduce others into the fold.

The way Iger said it, they would be released at the same time as or during the new trilogy