Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Mardi Gras 2013

Brian G.

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2008
Orlando, FL
Universal posted on their FB about next year's event, and confirms that Matchbox Twenty will be one of the musical acts.

This spring, you can experience all of the excitement of Mardi Gras at our 2013 celebration! We’ll have our elaborate Mardi Gras parade, authentic bands from New Orleans, delicious Cajun food and live concert performances from multi-platinum rock band Matchbox Twenty and other mega musicians.

Looking good so far.

I do believe that will have to shorten the parade route due to construction. This will make all areas along the route even more crowded. Including the area around the Music Plaza.

i thought the music acts last year were ok my wife loved the goo goo dolls and my daughter loved victorious so to me there was a good mix

I am beyond excited about this. They're one of my favorite bands and i've never got the chance to see them live. Anyone past them is a bonus for me.

I know I'm likely in the minority around here, but man I really want them to bring back Chicago and EW&F. Easily the two best concerts I've seen at Universal, and two very heavy crowds, right up there with a 10 on the Kelly Clarkson scale (how a lot of TMs have taken to measuring their attendance, the 1-10 Kelly Clarkson scale, 1 being not crowded and 10 being Kelly Clarkson concert night packed).

Happy to see Matchbox 20 announcement, should be a fun concert.

Hopefully we'll see some new floats in the parade! Here's a fun question for you: If they get One Direction for Mardi Gras or SCS, how crowded will the park be? :lol:

I forget is Mardi Gras only select nights ? I've never been..

Saturdays & Select Nights: February 9 - April 20. Those select nights are usually Friday nights.

How does one go about getting on one of the floats? As many years that I have gone I have yet to get on a float and would love to be on the other side of things at least once.

How does one go about getting on one of the floats? As many years that I have gone I have yet to get on a float and would love to be on the other side of things at least once.

Annual-Pass holders have been invited in the past to sign-up to win the chance to be in the floats, but I never won, nor anyone else I know. I'm not sure if there is any other way for the non-employees to be able to do this.

On kind of a related note, it has been mentioned that this year they are not letting us regular folk (non-employees) be in the Macy's parade, probably due to all the construction and stuff. I'm wonder if the Mardi Gras parade will be affected in the same way...

Annual-Pass holders have been invited in the past to sign-up to win the chance to be in the floats, but I never won, nor anyone else I know. I'm not sure if there is any other way for the non-employees to be able to do this.

Ive always wonder how everyone got up there. One of these years ill have to work some magic :lol:

On kind of a related note, it has been mentioned that this year they are not letting us regular folk (non-employees) be in the Macy's parade, probably due to all the construction and stuff. I'm wonder if the Mardi Gras parade will be affected in the same way...

Only difference between the two parades are with Macy's us regular folks are balloon handlers and would imagine a larger reliability with all the construction. Mardi Gras you are on a float with Universal having control of where you are during the parade while you are on the float. So I wouldnt think the Mardi Gras parade would change IMO

Saturdays & Select Nights: February 9 - April 20. Those select nights are usually Friday nights.

One night, I honestly was walking past FFL and someone asked if we wanted to be on the floats.

The way they select float riders the past few years has slightly changed every year. It's really dependent on who's running the show. For example, this past Mardi Gras was the most organized year I had ever seen.

The main way over the years, as mentioned, has been the Annual Pass sign up form. Which, is very possible to win, I have won once every year I have entered.

A few years back, guest services was able to print out tickets to ride a float pretty easily. Recently they've tightened up a lot on this and no longer hand out float rides. They'll tell you to wait outside the check in area in case there's any open spots. (The check in area was FFL courtyard, aside from last year when it was Kidzone over by Barney. It will more than likely be Kidzone again this upcoming Mardi Gras.) Guest services can grant float rides to make up for bad experiences in the park, so on, but it's not something you can usually ask for.

Waiting outside the check in area is a gamble and highly dependent on how many spots they already have that night and how many have shown up. I've found closing night to be the hardest night to get on, with weekends schools are out being the second hardest. Usually the ones in Mardi Gras polos are the ones that can give you wristbands for you and your group to ride. The only exception being when there's a large amount of open spots, then the float captains that are working the entrance can get you a wristband.

You do have to be 18 or with a parent or guardian to ride.

Overall, all the Mardi Gras staff are super friendly and will definitely try to get you on if they can. It's a really fun experience.

Thanks for the info Briman and PWT! I'll definitely be on the lookout this coming Mardi Gras :look: :thumbs:

BTW, did you guys keep any of the beads or Doubloons when you rode the floats?