Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Mardi Gras 2013

Thanks for the info Briman and PWT! I'll definitely be on the lookout this coming Mardi Gras :look: :thumbs:

BTW, did you guys keep any of the beads or Doubloons when you rode the floats?

this is why it's hard to get all the doubloons unless you know a captain or go multiple nights... I know some people who pocketed a bag the night they went ;)

this is why it's hard to get all the doubloons unless you know a captain or go multiple nights... I know some people who pocketed a bag the night they went ;)

Why do they even want a full bag? That's dumb... :mean:

I've managed to get one in 2010 and one in 2012. Always get a bunch of beads... but yeah, these are so hard to get!

BTW, did you guys keep any of the beads or Doubloons when you rode the floats?

Yes, I usually keep half of the doubloons or so, my first float ride of that season. Any following float rides, I don't keep any.

Don't have anymore space for beads, so I make sure all of those get thrown.

Besides Matchbox 20 has anyone hear many rumors of who else may be playing this year? Besides the usual KC and the Sunshine band :lol: I did a quick search on Pollstar to see if anyone was on there but didn't notice any.

Also, when you're actually on the float, you have to go fast and get rid of all of the beads. When I did it, I got in the mindset of just throwing the beads and forgot about the doubloons for the most part until the end when I had ran out of beads and realized I had been ignoring the the doubloons.

Saturdays & Select Nights: February 9 - April 20. Those select nights are usually Friday nights.

How does one go about getting on one of the floats? As many years that I have gone I have yet to get on a float and would love to be on the other side of things at least once.

I've destroyed people with beads to the face :skellington:

That is just one of the perks of being up there :lol:

*note - I do not condone bead violence :p

I had a friend (no mention of a name) who actually had girls lifting their shirts for beads during Mardi Gras and one year for the Festival of the Dead parade at HHN. Mardi Gras at Universal can get crazy if you know where to look while on the float.

I had a friend (no mention of a name) who actually had girls lifting their shirts for beads during Mardi Gras and one year for the Festival of the Dead parade at HHN. Mardi Gras at Universal can get crazy if you know where to look while on the float.

Jackpot :pop:

I can see that happening although I have never seen it happen firsthand. Ahhh the power of alcohol :lol:

I'll say, before being on the float at last years Mardi Gras, I enjoyed Uni, but that experience was really the start of my Uni fandom. A combination after of all of the TLC and current projects, moving to Orlando and eventually starting to work for them really solidified it.

I would imagine the people on the floats this year will be like Macy's Balloon Handlers. They'll do a mass hiring ...

I would imagine the people on the floats this year will be like Macy's Balloon Handlers. They'll do a mass hiring ...
No. The reason that they are using all TM's this year for Macy's is bc of the change in route. After it finishes through the park, it has to exit at Beetle Juice, make a right turn out by HR parking lot, walk all the way down by the apartments and turn right and so on to get back to the parade building. It's a big circle. Point being: There's a lot of backstage walking this year, which is why it's TM's instead of guests.

No. The reason that they are using all TM's this year for Macy's is bc of the change in route. After it finishes through the park, it has to exit at Beetle Juice, make a right turn out by HR parking lot, walk all the way down by the apartments and turn right and so on to get back to the parade building. It's a big circle. Point being: There's a lot of backstage walking this year, which is why it's TM's instead of guests.

UOs official statement is, "This is being done for guest safety". I even pushed seeing backstage projects. Of course they said that had "nothing to do with it".

UOs official statement is, "This is being done for guest safety". I even pushed seeing backstage projects. Of course they said that had "nothing to do with it".
We did the route last night and the closest you get to anything is the side of the Gringotts building (which is walled off). It may have a bit to do with it, but you can barely see anything the way we go. It's just a long freakin walk. :lol:

I got beads and doubloons by the handful last year. You just have to know where to stand. :cheers:

this year will be hard to get both start and finnish of parade unless you can book it though :look: probably will use the layout as macys... out hollywood and in beatlejuice.

We did the route last night and the closest you get to anything is the side of the Gringotts building (which is walled off). It may have a bit to do with it, but you can barely see anything the way we go. It's just a long freakin walk. :lol:

with a balloon that can and will do whatever it wants...

Last edited:
this year will be hard to get both start and finnish of parade unless you can book it though :look: probably will use the layout as macys... out hollywood and in beatlejuice.

The closures around SS44 probably leave no other option. I guess I'll have to run a little farther to try to double dip... :sneaky: