A Pirate’s Adventure: Treasures of the Seven Seas | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

A Pirate’s Adventure: Treasures of the Seven Seas

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The blog post didn't mention anything about it being upcharge so I doubt it. Plus, since things like SotMk and Agent P are included with admission, I don't see how they could get away with it.

It seems as though Disney just wants to turn the park into a massive outdoor mall. Shops meet n greats and games. If they continue at this rate the magic kingdom wont be a theme park in a few years but a themed more that happens to contain rides. You would really think with falling attendance you would get some advice from the park that is having increases in attendance, that has less money then you in the first place.

The problem is attendance isn't falling. Stagnant to slight increases don't raise the eyebrows dropping into the negatives decently would. Guest spending, though, is a whole other issue. Also, considering the MK is the only park they're adding attractions to recently I wouldn't say it's the one that's going to become a mall.

Question: I don't recall, does Disneyland have any of these interactive games?

From Screamscape

Park News - (1/24/13) An interesting item was discovered at the Magic Kingdom that looks like it is part of the rumored new Pirates game. In the bushes next to the main pirate tower building, a series of green posts have been installed that appear to have odd bamboo poles mounted inside, as if waiting to spring out and maybe scare someone. Anyone know more about what is going on here?

ifgimkk82N1MX.jpg

The problem is attendance isn't falling. Stagnant to slight increases don't raise the eyebrows dropping into the negatives decently would. Guest spending, though, is a whole other issue. Also, considering the MK is the only park they're adding attractions to recently I wouldn't say it's the one that's going to become a mall.

Question: I don't recall, does Disneyland have any of these interactive games?

I was more refering to the ratio of meet and greats and shops/dining to major rides and how it is getting higher for the shopping.

Meh, something else new at the MK that I will be walking by. They seem to be on a roll at adding things that I have no interest in. Princess stuff, interactive games, and DVCs galore! Would it kill them to add a ride that is aimed at someone over 9.

Even all the rumored stuff coming seems very juvenile oriented. Sure Radiator Springs Racers ail be cool, but slathered thickly in toons. At least with the new "Sum of All TRON Track" they didn't add toons.

I can’t believe it MK a park aimed at a young family demographic putting in an attraction aimed at young families with boys. Dam you Disney what you thinking!!!!!!!! Why you not building a high thrill ride in the heart of the park targeting teenagers and young adults without kids.

I know my boy will love this and therefore I will love it to. But yes I get it Disney isn’t building rides in WDW like they used to and yes they are kiddie-fying MK like no ones business which isn’t what the majority of members on this forum want.

I can’t believe it MK a park aimed at a young family demographic putting in an attraction aimed at young families with boys. Dam you Disney what you thinking!!!!!!!! Why you not building a high thrill ride in the heart of the park targeting teenagers and young adults without kids.

I know my boy will love this and therefore I will love it to. But yes I get it Disney isn’t building rides in WDW like they used to and yes they are kiddie-fying MK like no ones business which isn’t what the majority of members on this forum want.

First of all, if you only love because your boy loves it then they FAIL! Get back to me in 10 years when your boy would rather have a root canal than go to the MK. The Magic Kingdom was never intended to be a park aimed at the "young family" demographic. The whole Legoland on steroid thing is something that has happened in mostly the last 10 years. As someone who has been going to WDW since 1971, and someone whose kids are in their teens, we never go to the Magic Kingdom anymore. TDO has pretty ruined the entire intent of the place. And that is sad.

And who said "high thrill"? But with todays TDO's mindset you can kiss new attractions similar in appeal to Space or Splash goodbye.

The park is no longer a well rounded park with broad appeal. And yes, WDW is now aggressively courting the young family demographic and yet they have one park (DHS) that only has one ride (TSMM) that caters to that demo. Is it any wonder that FPs are gone for it by noon? And these guys are supposed to be the best in the world at theme park development? DHS is an absolute mess. DAK is a seriously under developed park that also leaves the young family demo hanging. And EPCOT bores the kids to death. They need to get away from selling itself strictly of the young family demo and once again aim for everyone.

Last edited:
First of all, the Magic Kingdom is not, was not, and never intended to be a park aimed at the "young family" demographic.

Didn't Disney intend for Disneyland and World to be a place for families of all ages to enjoy together? Including thrilling type rides and family rides was part of Walts plan and a drastic change of what they are doing now.

So is the agenda to create more "attractions" like this so that people with reservations can get on the actual rides? :lol:

The problem is attendance isn't falling. Stagnant to slight increases don't raise the eyebrows dropping into the negatives decently would.

Not necessarily true. Jay Rasulo is on record saying WDW attendance was down for 2012. How much is the question, but the WDW parks aren't in the rosey situation they're used to.

And no, no interactive games in DL. Yet.

First of all, if you only love because your boy loves it then they FAIL! Get back to me in 10 years when your boy would rather have a root canal than go to the MK. The Magic Kingdom was never intended to be a park aimed at the "young family" demographic. The whole Legoland on steroid thing is something that has happened in mostly the last 10 years. As someone who has been going to WDW since 1971, and someone whose kids are in their teens, we never go to the Magic Kingdom anymore. TDO has pretty ruined the entire intent of the place. And that is sad.

And who said "high thrill"? But with todays TDO's mindset you can kiss new attractions similar in appeal to Space or Splash goodbye.

The park is no longer a well rounded park with broad appeal. And yes, WDW is now aggressively courting the young family demographic and yet they have one park (DHS) that only has one ride (TSMM) that caters to that demo. Is it any wonder that FPs are gone for it by noon? And these guys are supposed to be the best in the world at theme park development? DHS is an absolute mess. DAK is a seriously under developed park that also leaves the young family demo hanging. And EPCOT bores the kids to death. They need to get away from selling itself strictly of the young family demo and once again aim for everyone.

Point 1) Get back to you in 10 years? Well I loved MK from the age of 5 to about 13, I love it now as my boy loves it so that means another 8 years of enjoyment (and visits) so that takes me from 35 to about 43. My boy starts his family and guess what? Were back at MK with grand kids in tow so Iam revisiting 60 – 68. So I will be visiting MK all my life and enjoying it each time just as much but from a different view.

Point 2) WDW is now aggressively courting the young family demographic and yet they have one park (DHS) that only has one ride (TSMM) that caters to that demo? My take is Disney have seen how far Uni have come with Potter and the other amazing devleopments and have for now said we have charcaters and films that appel to a different customer base so why compete dircet? Maybe if/when Avatar or Star Wars come of the drawing board this will change.

My fianl point would be that WDW as 4 gates so they may feel (rightly or wrongly) they can target different parks to different markets. Would be great as a topic or poll in its own right? Which set of parks appels to the wides amount of people WDW or Universal?

When Universal unveils their Magiquest-style, interactive wand game, though, it will instantly be called a success, a perfect fit for the parks and aimed at all audiences. It will clearly be meant to drive up guest value, not drive up profits by selling more wands.

I don't agree. I was at the parks last week. Agent P and Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom were deserted. HM's interactive queue was being bypassed by the majority of guests.

I think people oversell how much people don't pay attention to what's around them, and Disney oversells these kind of games.

Really?!? Every time I go there (and I go every weekend) there are lines at the sorcerers screens and on Saturday there was people all around us with the phones playing Agent P. So I am shocked it was dead for you. Seems like both of these are very popular. I will say with the Agent P, I don't see kids laughing and smiling while playing it. Kids seemed more excited playing Sorcerers.

When Universal unveils their Magiquest-style, interactive wand game, though, it will instantly be called a success, a perfect fit for the parks and aimed at all audiences. It will clearly be meant to drive up guest value, not drive up profits by selling more wands.

I hope to heaven that game doesn't happen, so no, not really.

Just like Universal adding the "Simpson" area which is going to be restaurants, games, shops, and one flat ride that will be a kid ride. They are being shown as this great park adding all these great things, but aren't those all "mall" like things they are adding?

I get it, Universal is adding more stuff than WDW. And I love all 7 parks in Orlando and right now have season passes to all 7. So as someone that is not on either side as I love them all I will say I am disappointed in Disney right now. They should be adding more. Taking away snow white to add under the seas to me was not that great of a thing. BUT I love what they did with Dumbo. I think that was a HUGE win for Disney and hope that they do that with more rides in the future.

Now on the Uni side, I love they are adding transformers, but Simpson expansion to me is a waste. They should have spent the money to improve some of their areas that need improving. So I think both parks have wins and loses. I just think Disney is WAY slower at doing anything than Uni is and that is the difference. So I think they are doing some little things they can do faster. Will I use it? No. But when my son is the right age, I am sure he will. So I am not complaining.

There are lots of things in all the parks I can't do because I have kids at a certain age, but eventually I will be able to do them. Not everything can be for everyone.

I also feel like people jump down Disney's throats before even knowing fully what it is or how it will be implemented or effect thing. Don't get me wrong I love this board and I think everyone has their right to their opinion. But I know any online board always sways one way or the other and it is very easy to jump on the bandwagon and take it too far. I had to stop reading my favorite TV Show board because it got so negative I couldn't enjoy watching the show because I became so negative about it myself. About a month after stopping I was much happier watching my TV show, because I wasn't influenced to go so far into the negative. So I get it.

Now on the Uni side, I love they are adding transformers, but Simpson expansion to me is a waste.

Well the IFFF restaurant needed work big time, they wanted to add VIP seating for the lagoon and are expanding on the lack of food choices and kiddie rides at Universal. Don't think it's much of a waste.

Just like Universal adding the "Simpson" area which is going to be restaurants, games, shops, and one flat ride that will be a kid ride. They are being shown as this great park adding all these great things, but aren't those all "mall" like things they are adding?

I get it, Universal is adding more stuff than WDW. And I love all 7 parks in Orlando and right now have season passes to all 7. So as someone that is not on either side as I love them all I will say I am disappointed in Disney right now. They should be adding more. Taking away snow white to add under the seas to me was not that great of a thing. BUT I love what they did with Dumbo. I think that was a HUGE win for Disney and hope that they do that with more rides in the future.

Now on the Uni side, I love they are adding transformers, but Simpson expansion to me is a waste. They should have spent the money to improve some of their areas that need improving. So I think both parks have wins and loses. I just think Disney is WAY slower at doing anything than Uni is and that is the difference. So I think they are doing some little things they can do faster. Will I use it? No. But when my son is the right age, I am sure he will. So I am not complaining.

There are lots of things in all the parks I can't do because I have kids at a certain age, but eventually I will be able to do them. Not everything can be for everyone.

I also feel like people jump down Disney's throats before even knowing fully what it is or how it will be implemented or effect thing. Don't get me wrong I love this board and I think everyone has their right to their opinion. But I know any online board always sways one way or the other and it is very easy to jump on the bandwagon and take it too far. I had to stop reading my favorite TV Show board because it got so negative I couldn't enjoy watching the show because I became so negative about it myself. About a month after stopping I was much happier watching my TV show, because I wasn't influenced to go so far into the negative. So I get it.

What I would say for me is that it isn't about what necessarily is being added or as you said "how much" is being added. I know this would come across as unpopular on here at the moment, but Transformers carries zero interest for me. Zero. The Simpson's upgrades are a nice refresh, but outside of Duff Gardens, I will probably stick to dining in other areas of the Resort. What makes all of this positive for me as a guest, is that the right people are in charge, and they are using their knowledge to make sensible decisions in upgrading and improving the park. Some of these very same people were shooed away from Disney for wanting to employ the same guiding principles that are now on exhibit here at Universal.

When WDW adds something, it is typically superficial, will only have short-term appeal, and visually pollutes the proven, well-designed atmosphere already present. It at a minimum is contradictory to the overall park experience. This misguided investment occurs, while other more significant areas of the park continue to neglect and rot. Often, this dynamic is encouraged because the wrong people in decion making positions at Disney (who pushed a lot of the right people out) need to justify that they have a purpose and are in fact "growing" the Disney park experience.

So, while I miss Jaws and I disagree with the move on HRRR, it really doesn't matter. What matters is, as a tourist, which experience is providing a fresh offering. Which experience doesn't cause me to immediately become agitated or uncomfortable the minute I walk into the gate. For me, right now that is Universal. My appreciation for Universal's energy also derives from the fact that I also love Disney, know Disney inside and out, and know when Disney is no longer being Disney. Why spend money, and more importantly time, going somewhere that I have to look the other way or hold me nose? At Universal they are dealing with areas of neglect or age. That is complimentary to my sensibilities and does allow for a consistent experience for me, whether Michael Bay's Transformers appeal to me or not. They might as well be Princesses, it doesn't matter. What should matter is what group is running a theme park the right way. That answer has been obvious to me for a very long, long time. I think more and more people who don't follow this stuff online are starting to sense it too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Felipe and Cwoolboy
Uh...had you ever been to the craphole/ugly POS that was the IFFF area? You're seriously telling me that area didn't need help?

Nope, never ate there. Knew it was bad and ate somewhere else. Actually most all of the places on their meal deal plan are not the best. I probably still won't eat in the new area as I have other places I go. But it is just a place to eat and a place to buy stuff. Which I also avoid. Basically they are adding a bunch of money makers. T2/3D is FALLING apart and I don't see them doing anything to that ATTRACTION.

I am not saying what Uni is doing is bad. I think you missed my point where I said I love all 7 parks in Orlando. What I was saying is sometimes people are extra harsh where they don't need to be. Uni works in an area and adds moneymakers instead of spending the money to fix rides and it is OK, but Disney does the same and it is not OK. Perspective.

As I started I love what is coming to Uni and I do think Disney is lagging behind and need to get their crap together. But I don't think adding a Pirate interactive game is a bad step. I think it will target a certain market and will be a huge success in that market. Therefore I have no issues with it.