Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2 | Page 56 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I'm alone in this thinking, but I don't quite understand what Universal is thinking as far as its lack of promotion for this expansion. I mean I understand not promoting it before their busy season last Summer, but I don't understand why they have remained largely silent for so long now. They have only mentioned it officially in the press twice, I believe, and only released one largely abstract piece of concept art for the new land. I was especially surprised to see how little they mentioned it at the event on December 12th. On the video I saw the Diagon Alley part was only about a minute and a half long and they didn't even mention the headline new attraction, Gringotts, unless there was a part to the presentation I missed.

I know about it largely because I frequent theme park websites (and, living locally, I'll hear about it on the news occasionally) but how about everyone else? I've never seen a national commercial advertizing it yet, although perhaps there are international ads, I don't know. Now I'm sure theme park aficionados and Potter fans are already in the know but what about the general public, Universal's bread and butter? I've mentioned things to my friends, family, and other people in passing who have no idea what's going on right down the road. If that's the case how about people in middle America, Europe, Brazil, Asia, and so on? While I'm sure people who go to travel agents looking to vacation at a Florida theme park get all types of info, how about the people who aren't planning on going but might if they only knew? Once they finally do find out about it it may already be too late for people to book a trip, or they may have already made other plans for their holiday. Unless that is what Universal wants? To prevent over crowding issues again??? That's probably a stretch though. I really can't see a theme park purposely attempting to keep attendance down.

It just seems like, to me at least, Universal is over compensating for the advertising errors of the last Potter expansion. I know the new site goes online, finally, in January (hopefully with a lot more official details and art/pics) but it just seems like its awfully late to promote something that opens six months later. I don't know though maybe I'm completely off here. Perhaps Universal will turn the hype machine on full blast and dazzle the GP out of their little minds in the months to come. Either way I'm sure attendance will be HUGE at grand opening from the park fans and Potter fanboys alone. This is just an observation...

</END RANT>

I think one reason they are holding back is in case there are any issues that delay something. Sure they could say "Opening Summer 2014" but for people that don't do research, they would think it would be open the first day of summer. Can you imagine the backlash if Universal said "Opening June 1st, 2014" and then something went wrong and they had to delay it a month? TONS of people would have purchased hotels, tickets, airfare, etc. to be there for opening and then it gets delayed. Its a lot safer for Universal to say nothing until they know FOR A FACT what day it will open then to give a general time frame or a set "target" date. SOOO many people will be visiting over the summer and they want to make sure nothing goes wrong. Universal knows people want more HP. Even if they wait until a month before it opens to announce the date, the parks will still be a nightmare from that date forward for at least 6 or 7 months.

What Teebin said is also correct. They announced stuff way to soon for the first phase and a lot of people held off on visiting because of it. Between Jan. and summer, there is only spring break. Taking an attendance hit for one 'holiday' is not as bad as this past summer, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years.

Marketing is an extremely tricky subject. I've tried to advertise many things and in some ways I've been succesful but I've failed in most. It's really about timing, timing, timing. Announce it to early and people forget. Announce it to late and people don't have time to plan. Also if you announce it to early and keep cramming it down people's throat they simply pass it over. It seems that America has a fascination with Social media and you would think that advertising over this is a great way to do so....but I say not. With the way that facebook, twitter etc...works is that posts and things get buried unless they are constantly re-posted, shared, etc...It's a daunting taskand quite expensive as well. I agree with what Uni is doing. January is a great time to really get the ball rolling. It leaves enough time for people to plan and still be fresh in people's minds. Plus, the Harry Potter celebration is going to be a GREAT time to really start the madness. Fret not my friends!

So, for you everyday visitors, have you a sense of how many of the current visitors to the WW are completely new and on their first visit to mecca? Does the allure still hold?

Yesterday I spoke to a woman with her family in line for Ollivander's. They were down from Chicago with five kids who love Harry Potter. She had no idea about Diagon or the Hogwarts Express or that there was going to be a phase 2 at all, but she seemed very pleased to hear it. While in the same line, I overheard a TM telling another woman that guests will soon be able to ride the train to Diagon Alley and she reacted with excitement. These were both in the span of 10 minutes, so I assume the case is common.

From what I've seen, I would say that Universal has succeeded in keeping the word contained enough to avoid losing numbers through the holiday season and also that they will have no problem getting lots of people excited once their media blitz starts in January.

Well I'm certainly no marketing expert (and, like I said, I get Universal not announcing this prior to last summer) but I would have assumed that a majority of the people planning on visiting for the holiday season, unless they are relatively local, would have already made plans by say end of August. Again though I'm no expert by any means. Maybe more of the GP than I realize take last minute holiday trips???

As far as the buffer argument, for in case the expansion opening has to be pushed back, I guess that does make some sense. However, I doubt they will even make a solid date prediction in January if this is indeed a concern. They will probably wait until much closer to summer because, let's face it, now that they are in the testing phase this is when the possibilities of delays will begin to arise. So if they simply say Summer 2014 at the first of January what would have been the difference from saying the same thing back in September?

Nonetheless, I agree that the opening will, without a doubt, be a madhouse once again; even with the relatively brief time span allotted for large scale promotion. However, I still can't truly believe that Universal, or any park for that matter, would intentionally delay promotion in a concerted effort to limit attendance at a grand opening. I think they, like most modern American companies (not that I necessarily agree with it), will be more concerned with profits rather than what the GP thinks of the insanity that will undoubtedly unfold on opening day.

They're nothing special, but here are a few iPhone pictures I took this weekend. Again, for those of you who haven't seen the construction in person, the size of some of the buildings doesn't come across in the pictures. I was shocked by how tall and massive the Hogsmeade train station is!

Also, it seems so strange that they have left the backside of Grimmauld Place wide open. Does anyone know if that is standard procedure for a standalone facade?

11ebb412-31bd-4d6c-8573-0f523862572d_zpsaf11bba6.jpg

7D05B90D-8090-47C8-A72F-7B2207AC79F8_zpsnmzfatyz.jpg

636A0DCB-612E-4DEF-9A79-DA82284E4485_zpse4byyj2i.jpg

FD2D1A7A-F4FE-42F5-BCCD-70E44F15EDB1_zpsdxwuylee.jpg

15492b2c-da5e-4810-92ab-065c48a17a8f_zpsb5974e4c.jpg

A2B773B9-5B88-443C-AA5A-1D944F852A0C_zpsvnzlzriy.jpg

4C9B444D-EE90-430E-924A-81D8C3E01385_zpsp18axfdt.jpg

AFB6F3B7-88D5-401A-9CC8-9BE74AAC59C3_zpsqik34igz.jpg

Reactions: Felipe
I'd suggest an opening date and time frame exists and is being worked to. Being able to open the completed project sooner would be a bonus.

The project is behind schedule so we will see what happens and what gets cut as a result of the delay. The date I was told is June 10th but that was 2 months ago and haven't pushed to find out if anything has changed.

So, for you everyday visitors, have you a sense of how many of the current visitors to the WW are completely new and on their first visit to mecca? Does the allure still hold?

I'm there almost (literally) every day, for work or play. Although I don't really converse with anyone, most of these people are in awe at the beauty of Hogsmeade - taking pictures, buying merch, eating and drinking. Friday, for instance, Hogsmeade seemed to be populated by all of Asia (lots of Asian tourists). Seems to me that a lot of people still are very new to the land. I also tend to overhear a lot when passing by.. many foreign accents and languages. So, I cannot confirm that these visitors are first timers, but my sights and sounds tell me otherwise.

The area will always have that allure, not everybody in the world can afford to come to florida all the time. A lot of people will visit just the once for that "lifetime holiday." I know I can't afford to go every year :lol:

Also @hatetofly can you reveal how far behind they are, like what stage they should be at currently.

The project is behind schedule so we will see what happens and what gets cut as a result of the delay. The date I was told is June 10th but that was 2 months ago and haven't pushed to find out if anything has changed.

I think we can assume it won't be that early. Summer doesn't start until June 21, and this video specifically states "Summer 2014." (It also has a little more discussion about the project and its conception than the clips I've seen from the media event.)

[video=youtube;0HUH22o0kM0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HUH22o0kM0[/video]

I think we can assume it won't be that early. Summer doesn't start until June 21, and this video specifically states "Summer 2014." (It also has a little more discussion about the project and its conception than the clips I've seen from the media event.)

[video=youtube;0HUH22o0kM0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HUH22o0kM0[/video]

The WWOHP said summer and was open literally in softs on June 1st. Hopefully they catch up with schedule

I do hope it is in late June/early July just because after the conference I'm attending would be great to check it out without having to pay a dime :thumbs:

Come hell or high water, they will have this thing open in June. There are too many pieces they are aligning for it not to come to fruition. Cabana Bay, Citywalk, CM blackouts etc.

They want and are planning for it to be open in June and in that case they'll either open their wallets or make cuts.

It would be a different story if this were a year + out, but 6 months seems too late to slam on the brakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.