What do you shoot with? | Page 24 | Inside Universal Forums

What do you shoot with?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
HM55, do have any input on the a77? What do you think is a good kit lens. The 16-50mm f2.8 is standard with an optional 55-200mm f4-5.6 or a 55-300mm f4.5-5.6. Sony is also offering a $100 a second lens so I could get the standard kit lens and purchase one of the other two lenses for $100 off.

Thanks

edit

Just noticed there is also a 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 available with the same deal. Then there is always the option of the DSCRX10 bridge style camera. It has a smaller sensor but the lens is a 24-200mm f2.8.

Last edited:
HM55, do have any input on the a77? What do you think is a good kit lens. The 16-50mm f2.8 is standard with an optional 55-200mm f4-5.6 or a 55-300mm f4.5-5.6. Sony is also offering a $100 a second lens so I could get the standard kit lens and purchase one of the other two lenses for $100 off.

Thanks

edit

Just noticed there is also a 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 available with the same deal. Then there is always the option of the DSCRX10 bridge style camera. It has a smaller sensor but the lens is a 24-200mm f2.8.

The A77 is a really solid camera and if the rumors swirling are true, an upgraded version is hitting stores late spring early summer so you could always pick up the A77 a little cheaper once that is official. I wasn't impressed with the kit lens my A55 came with and replaced it with the Tamron 17-50 and loved it. But, I do believe the kit lens on the A77 is not the same as the one I got and is far superior. How much are the kits you are looking at going for?

Our you talking about the soon to be announced a79. Specs look great on that camera, I especially like the 4GB buffer. :thumbs: Wonder what the price will be.

Last edited:
Our you talking about the soon to be announced a79. Specs look great on that camera, I especially like the 4GB buffer. :thumbs: Wonder what the price will be.

Yes that is the one. You have a few ways to go about this. You get the A77 now. You wait for the A79 to come to town and you either get it or get the A77 which im sure will have some price drops once the A79 is around

Myself, Im about two weeks away from pulling a really large trigger :doggie: :happy:

Took a good look at the a77 at the Mall at Millennia yesterday. It's definitely a big heavy camera. It has all the functions I need and the kit lens has decent specs. Now I just need to decide if the rumored high speed 4GB buffer in the a79 is worth the wait.

Well, looks like I may just have to go ahead and order the a77. I just got word that the a79 won't be available until late June or July. Now I just need to pick my second lens. :lol:

Very nice, Bob! :cheers:

By the way, I'm at work but I just wanted to stop by quickly and let you guys know about the Amazon Deal of the Day, in case you're looking to get some additional (or bigger) SD / MicroSD cards for your cameras and/or cellphones :thumbs:

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=xs_gb_l...6VY06CEV3VFEWPQ&pf_rd_i=20&pf_rd_p=1671394142

I already have the Transcend 64 GB SDXC (which, BTW, has worked flawlessly so far), so I'm eyeing that 64 Gig MicroSDXC w/ adapter, personally...

Last edited:
Well, looks like I may just have to go ahead and order the a77. I just got word that the a79 won't be available until late June or July. Now I just need to pick my second lens. :lol:

:happy: You will love it. Im most looking forward to the focus peaking feature when it comes time for me to upgrade. Let me know what you think of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Took a good look at the a77 at the Mall at Millennia yesterday. It's definitely a big heavy camera. It has all the functions I need and the kit lens has decent specs. Now I just need to decide if the rumored high speed 4GB buffer in the a79 is worth the wait.

I think if you were out shooting sports that bigger buffer would come in handy but for the style of photography you shoot I don't think it will matter much.

Just placed the order. I decided to only purchase the one lens and save the money at this time. I should have it this Friday.

Today is your big day Bob :thumbs: Where did you end up ordering it at? I ened up putting my A55 on ebay and selling my Tamorn 17-50 with is as a kit. Then I put my old trusty fisheye up also since it wont work too well in full frame, id have to file down the hood and that is something I don't want to do.

I found a private seller who is selling his A99 for about $1,000 less than it cost brand new and has only 8,000 clicks. He is holding it for me until I get my taxes next week :happy:

I narrowed the two lenses im going to start with. I really want something wide but it isnt in the budget just yet. Might look into when I get my bonus in March perhaps.
Sigma 50mm f/1.4
Tamorn 28-70mm

just received the 28mm 1.8 Minolta I ordered from ebay $198, used but in great shape, shipped from Japan. So far I am liking that it doesn't make feel claustrophobic, all though I have only done a few test shots.
Probably going to sell My 35mm 1.8 Sony alpha as seems there is really no need for it any longer.

I meant to ask you, was it a hassle getting this thru customs? Ive always been afraid to order something of value and have to pay some customs fees

^^ First off, how are you feeling HM55?

I ended up ordering it through Amazon with free two day shipping and 12 months interest free.

Also purchased a few extra batteries, case, power supply, coated protective filters and class 10- memory cards. In the end I changed my mind and also purchased the Sony 55-300. Just couldn't pass it up for the price.

Had a shock this morning when I received an email stating the camera and zoom lens would be later due to a late flight. Just received another email stating the were back on schedule. They appeared to drive them up from Orlando mid morning. After the Christmas f' up I guess they'll do whatever they have to so the package arrives on time.

I'll have a chance to use the new kit at SWO this Sunday at the Kid Rock show and Wednesday for the FF hardhat tour. :thumbs:

Congrats on the a99. I knew that's what you'd end up with. :wave: Full Frame!!!!!!!!

^^ First off, how are you feeling HM55?

I ended up ordering it through Amazon with free two day shipping and 12 months interest free.

Also purchased a few extra batteries, case, power supply, coated protective filters and class 10- memory cards. In the end I changed my mind and also purchased the Sony 55-300. Just couldn't pass it up for the price.

Had a shock this morning when I received an email stating the camera and zoom lens would be later due to a late flight. Just received another email stating the were back on schedule. They appeared to drive them up from Orlando mid morning. After the Christmas f' up I guess they'll do whatever they have to so the package arrives on time.

I'll have a chance to use the new kit at SWO this Sunday at the Kid Rock show and Wednesday for the FF hardhat tour. :thumbs:

Congrats on the a99. I knew that's what you'd end up with. :wave: Full Frame!!!!!!!!

I am feeling so much better Bob, thank you. I have a slight cough still that is lingering but with ever passing day gets better and less and less.

Awesome Bob, Look forward to seeing your pictures with the new gear : thumbs:

Thank you again, still have a week before I actually buy it but it is in the works and super excited

a77-001.jpg

I almost waited for tax season to spring on the a77, but settled for the a65. You'll love it, and that is one jaw dropping kit. The Sony bags are pretty nice carrying bags if you don't pack a ton of gear.