Designing Islands of Adventure | Page 9 | Inside Universal Forums

Designing Islands of Adventure

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
To this day I die a little bit inside when I see the Batman/Gotham artwork. Ten times better than anything Six Flags has done and better than Marvel Superhero Island.

Maybe someday....

Man, the original JP concepts look so awesome. The dock by the Discovery Centre, the helipad for the tour simulator.

Hopefully the upcoming expansion brings some life back to the parks best island.

i have to agree the concepts for both Gotham and Jurassic park are incredibly impressive.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW im not sure but in the last picture it almost looks like there's no citywalk as "cartoon world" looks huge or am i wrong?

BTW im not sure but in the last picture it almost looks like there's no citywalk as "cartoon world" looks huge or am i wrong?

Nope, the entrance is basically in the same place. Notice in the image on the very right side there is a canal with a bridge to CityWalk (it is just out of frame in the picture). I'll note that Hard Rock is not seen, but there were concepts where it stayed in it's original location.

Here is an old master plan.

UniCityMasterPlan.jpg

This seems the most appropriate thread to ask this...

On my last trip, I went into the IOA Trading Company for the first time (crazy, I know!) I was intrigued by the massive sea creature above the till area - the plaque behind the counters claims it to be the only existing copy of what is thought to be a unique specimen in Japan. Does anyone have any more information about the creature - either the original or IOA's one?

This seems the most appropriate thread to ask this...

On my last trip, I went into the IOA Trading Company for the first time (crazy, I know!) I was intrigued by the massive sea creature above the till area - the plaque behind the counters claims it to be the only existing copy of what is thought to be a unique specimen in Japan. Does anyone have any more information about the creature - either the original or IOA's one?
I've never heard of this, does anybody have a picture?

Not sure if many have seen, but falling down the Youtube rabbit hole I've come across and Islands of Adventure promo video from 1999. Great early look at the park, including a rare look at the storyteller.

[video=youtube;9x36IJhBtJY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x36IJhBtJY[/video]

Great video!

I'm still sad that IOA has gone to face characters for Popeye, Olive Oil and Betty Boop. The costumed characters were way cooler! And what ever happened to Dudley, Bluto, and Beetle Bailey's walkarounds? Those were awesome!

Great video!

I'm still sad that IOA has gone to face characters for Popeye, Olive Oil and Betty Boop. The costumed characters were way cooler! And what ever happened to Dudley, Bluto, and Beetle Bailey's walkarounds? Those were awesome!
Agreed, with the exception of Betty Boop. They have some pretty hot Betty Boob girls.

Agreed, with the exception of Betty Boop. They have some pretty hot Betty Boob girls.

LOL YEAH THEY DO!!! I really love that video, incredibly cringy but nostalgic like most vacation home videos. BTW did Merlin just steal that snowglobe from sinbad's market? Street rat. I miss the walk around characters in toon, I also miss the beach party they used to do. It's hilarious how toon lagoon was marketed as one of the biggest draws for IOA back then due to the mass popularity of comic strips, oh how the tides have turned (no pun intended)