Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Harambe Market

Sep 22, 2011
Orlando
Africa_Full_22709.jpg;width=640

This has been something under construction for a good while now that not many have talked about, but now there's finally official concept art for it. It's planned to open for Spring 2015 and According to the Magical site:

The new area, called Africa Marketplace will open in Spring 2015, including new merchandise locations, a new quick service restaurant, and a new walkway linking Africa to Asia. Combined with the new Harambe Theater district area, the new additions will more than double the size of Africa.

The restaurant will be called Harambe Marketplace, and will feature a number of walkup windows, offering a variety of African inspired dishes.

The new area and restaurant is planned to open in Spring 2015, and will be located between the Kilimanjaro Safari area and Mombassa Marketplace, in an area that was previously backstage.

Apparently there is also a new Table Service restaurant being built in Discovery Island. I love all the expansion/attention that DAK is receiving at the moment.

Looks good. Africa's generally the most crowded area of the park and the extra space will be welcome. Hopefully the food options will be interesting and different from the norm.

Retail and F&B. Duh! Just what a park with 6 rides needs.
Criticize all you want, but this is needed. Ever since Tusker House turned into a Buffet, there isn't a quick service option on that side of the park and it is often very crowded through Harambe. The new Theatre district has helped some, but with RoL and Avatar coming in the next few years, the widening of space will help greatly. The walkway to Asia will help as well with crowds.

And Teebin... They are preparing for increased crowds. That's why they are doing it.

Yes it will be a smash for a summer probably
Depends if they open it all at once (like they should) or if they open in phases and open everything except the boat ride in 2017, leaving the boat ride as a 2018 attraction. I wouldn't put it past them.

Avatar is hitting me as an EE opening. It boosted the numbers, but I believe that leveled off. I stopped riding after the Yeti broke.
E:E boosted numbers considerably. The park has seen slight incremental boosts ever since, seeing around 10M+ now. Of course these numbers don't tell the full story as the attendance numbers are based on first gate click. So while DAK may be seeing that many people, since they are leaving early it doesn't matter at all because they leave early and park hop (and don't spend money). That's partially the reason for adding this type of thing to Harambe.

That's a big part of this expansion is making DAK more of a full day experience. While it will still be lacking in rides, the park will be in much better shape come 2017. With Rivers of Light opening next Spring and night safaris as well, the park will be a great all around experience. It just needs more rides/Chester & Hester replacement.

Special photo op with Olaf on all his fun time adventures. Just imagine for a low low price you can get your picture with Olaf on his jungle adventures to Africa, the themed vistas of the World Showcase, and even that time he stayed at the famed Hollywood Tower Hotel when he got his Star on the Walk of Fame.

:horse:

How are they going to fit Frozen in with this? :p
I know you're just joking, but really, I hope Frozen never sees DAK (because I wouldn't put it past TDO to try and squeeze it in). It's the only US park it hasn't been in yet and I hope that continues. It has no place at all in the park.

Not even a bloody run of the mill flat ride?!
Just stupid shops and food, When is Disney going into the theme park business again and starts first to build the rides and then the shopping mall.
Now wonder the only THEA award Disney got is for the best cheap thing to do in a park, so sad.