Halloween Horror Nights 25 Discussion | Page 65 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 25 Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I said I was concerned about the size.
I don't know the exact measurements, but I'm pretty sure that 1 theater from the Shrek 4d attraction isn't as large as a whole SS and probably not as large as 1 of the pop-up tents.

As far as the design team... What is their real objective? When they design the houses, is their priority to keep crowds smaller? Am I wrong if I say that their goal is to get more people to attend? Adding another house(#9) could theoretically help them do that. Unless safety becomes an issue due to traffic, why would they even care? I just hope they aren't adding a skimpy 9th house just for the sake of saying the event is now larger than ever. That proof will be in the pudding.

Lines are a real problem for many of the guests already. Jamming another house where a good portion of them already are could be problematic. It is already packed in that area on busy nights... yes or no? Using common sense, anyone can see that there will be even more people there now. How would spreading out the foot traffic away from the front of the park be a bad idea?

Yeah, can we please refrain from the "we're the fans, we have to have full utmost faith in A&D, yadda yadda kill the haters" chanting? It doesn't usually bleed into this site, but here we are. It's speculation season. We're speculating, and that includes some critical thought and analysis. Every time we're told to "trust A&D" we end up with a mixed bag. Critical discourse is important and trying to silence it just leads to mediocrity. He wasn't damning the house that goes there, he said he was concerned about space and offered some reasons why. Now we discuss. Yeesh.

God forbid we actually don't just lather praise on everything A&D puts out. They aren't gods and they've had plenty of misfires in the past few years. I'm excited to see a house in the Shrek venue - offers some unique possibilities - but I can also see some potential caveats.

In terms of crowding, I'm not so sure the entrance is going to be on the Plaza of the Stars. There's an easy access point to the Shrek extended queue that then leads to the second theater in question near the Brown Derby shop; why not stick the entrance there, to spread out the houses and give guests another house within easy walking distance of the entrance? Hollywood scare zones never extend that far, anyway.

I wonder if the Shrek entrance or exit ends up being in front of Shrek if they might reroute the normal Soundstage entrance by Despicable Me somewhere else. If they could eliminate that it would have zero affect on the crowds in that area as one would just displace the other.

Personally I think entering by Brown Derby and exiting between Shrek and Monsters cafe makes the most sense.

The entrance would have to be by the hat shop....no? putting it at shrek entrance would be a massive cluster with all the soundstage houses.

You could put the entrance between the transformers exit and Mel's. It would draw people into that area and allow for the queue ot run between shrek and transformers.

I really hope that they didn't toss out the tent idea because of it's cost. Welcome to the world of big business... Where each year, profits need to increase at any cost. Universal Studios Florida can't afford to spend some money on a sprung tent in order to add space for 1 of their biggest money making events? I don't want to believe that. I'm hoping they chose not to go through with it because they didn't want to add a structure in a spot where something else might eventually end up. If it really was because of the cost, I'm sure we'll never know. However, when Sept-Oct gets here and you're walking around HHN, at some point look when you're standing in a line for over an hour (assuming you don't use express), take a look at all the people and imagine that each 1 accounts for a minimum of $100. After that, remind yourself that there was a possibility that they didn't want to spend extra cash on a tent because it wasn't in the budget.

Anyways...

I'd assume that they would have to use the other side streets (Brown Derby and the street with the Transformers Ride) to help with the flow of traffic. However, even doing so won't help completely. Think of it this way... on a busy night, how many people are moving in and out of Plaza of the Stars. Now keep in mind that much of that traffic is actually spread out on not only the street, but also in queue lines stretched over relatively long distances down by the sound stages in the back. Now they are adding a full blown hour plus line's worth of people right next to one of the busiest areas of the park. You can also look at it like this... what percentage of all the guests will be in the back of the park versus the number of people in the front now? How many of the houses will be on or around Plaza of the Stars (not to mention a scare zone too)? If most of the houses are in the front, all the guests will be as well. Another thing to look at is the fact of how close to the entrance it is as well. Maybe it's me, but I find that sometimes when people 1st walk into the park, sometimes they like to mull about for a bit to get their bearings before diving in. So between all those people, the people looking for the queue lines for other houses, and now another new house/queue area right at the entrance, it is going to be crowded there.

I would think the tent was dropped because of the light leakage. Everyone seems to say that the tents are lame before it gets fully dark outside. Never gave the decision much thought. I will have to inquire.

I would think the tent was dropped because of the light leakage. Everyone seems to say that the tents are lame before it gets fully dark outside. Never gave the decision much thought. I will have to inquire.

Hmmm... To be honest I never noticed the light leakage in the tents. I thought that the house by Disaster had issues with light, due to the fact that parts of it are actually outside?

Cost is always a factor and it's not just about making more profit. Everything has a budget and those in charge have to decide how to use the budget. The less they spend on the facility the more they can spend on sets, props, costumes etc.

I have notice some of the leakage but not enough for me to be upset over it.

Definitely opening weekend will be a small test for the Shrek queue. I don't see how it might work for Hell weeks though.

Much ado about nothing. The way I see it, the full outdoor queue for Shrek can only hold a max of 30 mins of people. They need more queue space. They can use the alley between Shrek and Transformers for more queue. Entrance will be facing the lagoon. Exit through Hollywood. I have no idea if this is how they WILL do it, but they can work this out. During the day, you would never think a house entrance would be located where the MIB bathrooms are, but look at that. They'll work something out, it's not as black and white as having to have the entrance of the house at the entrance of Shrek.

Last edited:
Cost is always a factor and it's not just about making more profit. Everything has a budget and those in charge have to decide how to use the budget. The less they spend on the facility the more they can spend on sets, props, costumes etc.

How do you think they come up with the budget number? It generally has to be set with an idea of how much money they are going to take in. If they are doing their job right (which in some cases they obviously have, since they fill the park), each year they are expected to increase the amount of tickets sold. Over the years, do you think their budget has increased or decreased as the number of attendees has grown? Whoever is in charge of setting that budget decided (possibly) that an extra tent wasn't going to sell enough tickets to be worth it, especially when there is room elsewhere that costs basically nothing. However, using Shrek is nothing more than putting a band-aid on this space issue. What are they going to do the next few years to keep those profits up? Maybe they just weren't ready yet to make that investment, or maybe they think of it as a card under their sleeve to cash in at a later date.

To the people above who are in charge, profits are all that matter. For those who are handed the budget, they are forced to make it work.

Reactions: Lucky Planet
How do you think they come up with the budget number? It generally has to be set with an idea of how much money they are going to take in. If they are doing their job right (which in some cases they obviously have, since they fill the park), each year they are expected to increase the amount of tickets sold. Over the years, do you think their budget has increased or decreased as the number of attendees has grown? Whoever is in charge of setting that budget decided (possibly) that an extra tent wasn't going to sell enough tickets to be worth it, especially when there is room elsewhere that costs basically nothing. However, using Shrek is nothing more than putting a band-aid on this space issue. What are they going to do the next few years to keep those profits up? Maybe they just weren't ready yet to make that investment, or maybe they think of it as a card under their sleeve to cash in at a later date.

To the people above who are in charge, profits are all that matter. For those who are handed the budget, they are forced to make it work.

Well we don't know the inner workings so it's really hard to say what the reasons are behind decisions like this. Everything has to work within limits though, they don't just give Michael Aiello a blank check. For all we know the higher ups might have given a little extra money for a tent to create a new location and and it could have been the design team who said "if we find another location can we just use that extra money elsewhere". Creative people will always find a way to stretch whatever budget they are given. Again like I said we don't know the story behind this, I'm sure it's interesting though. When it's all said and done an enclosed space to build a maze is all that matters, whether it's a tent or Shrek doesn't make much difference.

Well wasn't it mentioned that they are building a duplicate of the parade building on the back corner of the empty lot? That would fit 2 houses. Maybe they didn't feel like buying a whole new tent when it would be rendered useless by this new building come 2016. Shrek might just be a one and done unless it really works out for them.

With the way things are at Universal right now nothing seem for certain space wise. So I could understand the hesitance in building another tent. For all we know the two tents that are there now could be gone this time next year let alone a third.