Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens | Page 16 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It was so smart of Kathleen, JJ, etc. to make Rey the new Luke....now not only do they have 3 generations of male geeks, myself included in the OG generation, but now they can rope in a whole generation of girls as well. Let the money counting begin.............

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
Just back from seeing at the imax. I loved it, probably the greatest cinema experience I can remember. While not the best Star Wars film, it was incredible to watch and I got a little teary eyed a few times.

Also, BB-8 was adorable.

That thumgs up he gave, was brilliant. Certainly the best reaction from the crowd.

Reactions: youhow2
For those who had a problem with a certain plot element in the third act...

Rey besting Ren in a duel. First, those who say that Finn bested him, very wrong. He managed to stay in the fight for a minute or two against an injured counterpart who underestimated him and was wild. He got beat fairly quickly. As for Ren... a few important notes. First, Luke was never great in duels. He beat Vader, but they mention that Anakin was a rather poor lightsaber scholar. And he was 70% robot by the time Luke got to him. Now, Luke had about 2 years of off and on lightsaber training. That means that a substandard Jedi trained Ren, and Ren himself never even finished his training. Couple that with his his wild emotions and injury, it's easy to see how a calm and focused Rey could defeat him. And this is not even to say the most important fact: Ren didn't want to kill her. He was actively trying to seduce her.

Last edited:
They were trying to portray that Ren was badly injured to make it more fair of a fight. They spent the whole movie showing how powerful Chewies bowcaster was, specifically to set up the lightsaber fight and make it more fair. The bow blew up everything the whole movie including groups of people, so Ren taking a hit from it and getting up at all was to level the playing field.

They were trying to portray that Ren was badly injured to make it more fair of a fight. They spent the whole movie showing how powerful Chewies bowcaster was, specifically to set up the lightsaber fight and make it more fair. The bow blew up everything the whole movie including groups of people, so Ren taking a hit from it and getting up at all was to level the playing field.

Correct. And they spent the entire film building up Ren's over confidence in his abilities and his temper. Not to mention Rey's competency with a staff and her acute awareness of surroundings.

Correct. And they spent the entire film building up Ren's over confidence in his abilities and his temper. Not to mention Rey's competency with a staff and her acute awareness of surroundings.
Yeah, they had to have the good guys win this movie for the general flow of a trilogy. So they had to set up a fight the good guys could win without having Luke get involved. I fully expect Ren to get his full training and be a legit badass for the next movie and for him to kill Luke either legit or with Luke sacrificing himself in the third act. That will leave us with the dark middle movie to set up the third movie where the good guys ultimately triumph.

the movie was incredible. I do already see a few folks online that are trying their very best to "plinkett" it, but I'm not buying it. Movie delivered on all fronts.

You don't have to try hard to "Plinkett" it or any of the Star Wars films to be honest. From day one the franchise has been rife with logical leaps and shoddy writing. This one is no different. It's a very good movie, but it has some glaring flaws as well. Still great, but I don't think people who are finding faults are wrong to do so in the slightest.

You don't have to try hard to "Plinkett" it or any of the Star Wars films to be honest. From day one the franchise has been rife with logical leaps and shoddy writing. This one is no different. It's a very good movie, but it has some glaring flaws as well. Still great, but I don't think people who are finding faults are wrong to do so in the slightest.

Well, I guess that's my point. Making criticisms that a Star Wars movie is too much like a Star Wars movie is completely missing the point.

If you don't like cheese, then you shouldn't order a pizza.

The "criticisms" I've seen of the new movie feel like they are really reaching. The movie doesn't explain every detail to you. Which is kind of how the first Star Wars was. I think people are so used to the "instant" gratification we now receive on the internet and binge viewing on netflix that they've forgotten how to come to their own conclusions, and learn to wait before jumping to conclusions.

I'd go into more detail, but I dont' really feel like figuring out how to use spoiler tags in this forum.

Never really was in to Star Wars. Had a bunch of toys when I was a kid and always liked Darth Vader, but other than that it was never really my thing. Went back and watched the original trilogy 2 months ago and enjoyed them, and saw The Force Awakens opening night and really enjoyed it. So I guess I'm late to the party but I'm looking forward to seeing what the next chapter has in store.

Well, I guess that's my point. Making criticisms that a Star Wars movie is too much like a Star Wars movie is completely missing the point.

If you don't like cheese, then you shouldn't order a pizza.

The "criticisms" I've seen of the new movie feel like they are really reaching. The movie doesn't explain every detail to you. Which is kind of how the first Star Wars was. I think people are so used to the "instant" gratification we now receive on the internet and binge viewing on netflix that they've forgotten how to come to their own conclusions, and learn to wait before jumping to conclusions.

I'd go into more detail, but I dont' really feel like figuring out how to use spoiler tags in this forum.

I thought a little bit more historical context about what happened between 6 and 7 would have been nice, other than that it was fine IMO

Saw the movie twice, may see it a third time just to try out the 3D. Thoroughly loved it both times, though I definitely let my guard down more on my second viewing. LOVE Finn and Rey's relationship, Ford back as Solo was perfect (as was Chewie), Poe was a very cool character and had my favorite line of dialogue in the movie ("Fly straight at them. Don't let these thugs scare you." Made me smile each time), BB-8 was too adorable for words, and Kylo Ren was just about a perfect villain (I could go on and on about him. The film sets him up to be the next Darth Vader, but he's really the complete opposite of Vader: Super-scary-powerful but seriously lacking in control. Fueled by rage, disappointment, and self-doubt. Fcking loved him!).

I used to be huge fan of Star Wars, but the prequels kind of soured my taste for the franchise a bit. Now I've seen Episode 7 , I find I have a desire to try to buy up as many cool Star Wars stuff as possible (Already have one of the new canon novels, a Kylo Ren Mask, and am seriously considering buying some more novels/comics, a Kylo lightsaber, and more cool gear). It feels good to actually seriously nerd out over Star Wars, something I've never done before.

I'd rank this as my 3rd favorite Star Wars film behind A New Hope and Empire. It just feels great to finally get a real Star Wars film in theaters again (and NO, I don't count the prequels as Star Wars films. Hated those films, even though Anakin getting all burnt up in Sith was a cool scene). I'd give The Force Awakens 4 Stars out of 5, and 8 Stars out of 10. It's killing me that I have to wait till 2017 to see what happens next, at least I'll have Rogue One next December and Force Awakens on Blu-Ray come April to hold me over til then.

"Star Wars: The Force Awakens" will unleash onto Blu-Ray on April 5th, 2016.

Is it bad that I was expecting this more for Early March?

To be honest, it will probably be a "bare bones" edition as well. You may want to wait until the "Deluxe" edition surfaces with all the extra features.

It can be as bare bones as it likes, I will have it on release day then happily grab whatever extra edition they do later, just the same as I did with the Hobbit and LOTR movies.

Reactions: martymcflyy85
Saw it twice in 3-D. I would rank it 2cd behind Empire. The fam and I went back and we re-watched all the movies in chronological order. I really forgot how bad the prequels were. Aside from the opening in the first one and the ending in the third one, the rest was kinda painful to watch. A few scenes here and there were cool, but the dialog was especially bad.

Seeing the FA the second time was so much better. I picked up a lot of things I missed on the first round. I hope they get JJ to do the next two. I believe I read he was not going to, but with it being such a success, I hope Disney gives him a blank check.