Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion | Page 159 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
An important bit I've seen the powers that be stress is that the natives aren't the ones who built the temple - they're just who live there now. The rough bamboo construction is the doing of the natives.

Which is made more interesting as 8th Wonder shows up, with their "modern for the time" technology. So there's 3 distinct periods being shown layered on each other.

And then in the Explorer promo videos it's our modern era looking back on what happened to the 8th Wonder.

It's a very complex setup. It's neat but i do fear it'll be lost on some guests entirely.

I hope you are right and they continue to appear authentic to guests on the ride vehicles! BTW, the one torch I did see inside was identical to the torches on either side of the Kong queue entrance.
Yes they all looked like the torches on the exterior. It was from afar but I really wouldn't of guessed it was fake at all. They must have a good wind effect going on in there too the flames or whatever they are using to simulate the effect were all blowing in the same direction. Definitely not just the upward air blow of a lit up sheet like in the Simpsons.

Reactions: Mike S and Ryno27
I'm Only seeing some dots on my phone so I can't vouch for anything in terms of aesthetic - however some really well done fake flames do exist. They're just expensive.

An early version of the current high end flames can be seen on Spacehip Earth. They're made with a fog/gas/mist system which allows a sort of mini projection space. It's very carefully controlled but being gas-based it moves about like a real flame. From there you just illuminate it with very bright directional light with a carefully focused convergence point (and it looks natural because beyond the apex point where it's focused the light is broad and diffuse - like the light from a real flame.

This is how you end up with some nifty effects like deep purple and blue flames.

OK. Enjoy the real flames inside the building when you ride then!
I don't think it's so outrageous to think there'd be real flames.. it would not be the first time universal has done it.
I'm not claiming they are real, but they certainly look real from this vantage point.

I know you have more insider knowledge than the average poster on here. Are you saying definitively that they are not real?

I don't think it's so outrageous to think there'd be real flames.. it would not be the first time universal has done it.
I'm not claiming they are real, but they certainly look real from this vantage point.

I know you have more insider knowledge than the average poster on here. Are you saying definitively that they are not real?
Teebin is by far the most prominent Universal Orlando Insider. Generally, if he makes a statement on something, you can take it to the bank.

Teebin is by far the most prominent Universal Orlando Insider. Generally, if he makes a statement on something, you can take it to the bank.
Oh no, I'm aware. I have another account that I can't get in to anymore so I created this one. I've talked to him quite a bit. I just didn't appreciate the sarcasm. It looks real, the person who took the photos said it looked real. And it isn't crazy to think something like a torch could be real. That's why I asked him if he knew definitively because then I'll concede I was incorrect.
I know ultimately it's not very important. I certainly don't care if the fire is fake.

That's ok. I don't mind being questioned and I am not being snarky. Things can change, but they cannot change this late in the game. That said, everyone gave me pause with their suspicion. So, I went back to my sources who are working on the project and asked them if anything had changed and the fire is real. It turns out that nothing has changed.

And just so everyone knows... flapping fabric fire is for family spook fire at Halloween. Theme parks have other ways of doing it now.

Reactions: Mike S and Ryno27
That's ok. I don't mind being questioned and I am not being snarky. Things can change, but they cannot change this late in the game. That said, everyone gave me pause with their suspicion. So, I went back to my sources who are working on the project and asked them if anything had changed and the fire is real. It turns out that nothing has changed.

And just so everyone knows... flapping fabric fire is for family spook fire at Halloween. Theme parks have other ways of doing it now.
Oh very interesting then. That's a pretty impressive effect especially from afar, to be so bright. Props to Uni! But I'd have to imagine if there are torches on the entrance will those be real? I can't imagine there's a fire effect that stands up to the Florida sun?

Also, here's a quote from screamscape on Kong testing:
"One very interesting thing is that you'll notice that the entire front of the truck is covered by a blue tarp, which means that the trucks are completely self-driving. If you watch carefully, you will also notice that the rear wheels also turn as goes around the corner.
With all that in mind, you may be wondering just why the truck has a driver compartment at all. And then, why the blue tarp covering it all? That's the really interesting part, as Screamscape's sources tell us that the trucks actually do have a "driver"... sitting in the seat... a unique and very special animatronic driver that I'm sure will play a very important part in the story they are telling."

Take that as you will.

Reactions: Ryno27