Comcast Buys Dreamworks Animation for $3.8bn | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

Comcast Buys Dreamworks Animation for $3.8bn

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
No Katzenberg. Anybody else intrigued by this?

I'm just gonna say it for conversation: I give it a year before Disney names him as COO.

EDIT: I can see the backlash already. He's not running the studio. He's a consultant and running a mini-division. But, he's way too influential to be running such a small division. It's just a way to tell concerned shareholders he'll be around "in some capacity"

There is absolutely no chance in hell that happens. Katz is his own worst enemy. No one wants him.

Trust me, I know. There's only two ways I can see this happening. He goes the Eisner route and just languishes away doing his own small thing (Eisner ran Disney and now all he does is produce BoJack Horseman), or he rises to the top of some giant media company. If the latter, he just showed that it's not happening at Comcast (or else he'd be running their DWA division). That means he'd jump ship to another media company. And Disney is publicly looking...

Trust me, I know. There's only two ways I can see this happening. He goes the Eisner route and just languishes away doing his own small thing (Eisner ran Disney and now all he does is produce BoJack Horseman), or he rises to the top of some giant media company. If the latter, he just showed that it's not happening at Comcast (or else he'd be running their DWA division). That means he'd jump ship to another media company. And Disney is publicly looking...

I think it's more likely he enters politics

There is absolutely no chance in hell that happens. Katz is his own worst enemy. No one wants him.
Exactly. People in the business don't have a high regard for him. He's living off his past reputation. In fact, I just had a conversation a few moments ago with an Exec. from one of the film studios. Exact words, "Katzenberg is a joke. Comcast will ease him out"

I was speaking more from an AOL/Yahoo and advertising technology angle. Maybe add in FIOS to Xfinity. They could spin out Verizon Wireless as it's own company as far as I'm concerned.
ahhhh! My apologies my assumption was based on previous reoccuring rumors that comcast was interested in acquiring a wireless carrier. But that's what makes verizon so attractive the other areas they have such as what you mentioned.

I don't think the stage area is big enough. They'd have to completely knock it down and build a new one.
def not a problem for Uni these days lmao However i do not feel that would do the IP justice. i feel that universal is looking to give dreamworks properties a more cohesive environment maybe in an area where a certain game developer's properties were rumored to go but then magically back tracked? (just thinking outside the box)

I hope they use Rise of the Guardians, I'm one of the few that thinks this movie was awesome.
you are NOT alone. I LOVED this movie lol

Reactions: Ultranel
I don't think the stage area is big enough. They'd have to completely knock it down and build a new one.
Considering it would be a 22 min. adaption, I'm sure they could redo the staginging to work with the theater. But with the extensive use of projection mapping, they would definitely have to enclose the theater. So it's a pipe dream.

Considering it would be a 22 min. adaption, I'm sure they could redo the staginging to work with the theater. But with the extensive use of projection mapping, they would definitely have to enclose the theater. So it's a pipe dream.

I'd rather see a show like that incorporated into a land with a ride and M&Gs and such anyway. If not in Park 3 then at least a replacement for Lost Continent.

Reactions: twebber55
I'd rather see a show like that incorporated into a land with a ride and M&Gs and such anyway. If not in Park 3 then at least a replacement for Lost Continent.
I think an auditorium themed to the "Dragon Training" arena from the movies would make perfect sense as part of a Dragons land. Rather than an retelling of the film, the show could be a "demonstration" of dragons' abilities using puppetry, special effects, and more. I'm thinking a fictionalized version of shows like Flights of Wonder at DAK.

Reactions: Ryan and JungleSkip
so... you dont think there is any chance this replaces the area for the rumored lot of Nintendo? I feel like its more fitting in this area and Nintendo may get pushed back to gate 3?

I think an auditorium themed to the "Dragon Training" arena from the movies would make perfect sense as part of a Dragons land. Rather than an retelling of the film, the show could be a "demonstration" of dragons' abilities using puppetry, special effects, and more. I'm thinking a fictionalized version of shows like Flights of Wonder at DAK.

Yes. Get the Creature Tech puppets for a show like that, then get a MACK powered suspened coaster/dark ride for the E-ticket, and a Hiccup/Toothless meet and greet to go along with them. Perfection.

so... you dont think there is any chance this replaces the area for the rumored lot of Nintendo? I feel like its more fitting in this area and Nintendo may get pushed back to gate 3?

I doubt it. I think there's a higher chance of all the DreamWorks stuff being in one park then there is of Nintendo being moved for one DW property

Reactions: Macfr3ak
true just thought there was sufficient space to fit all in one back there Kidzone-expansion lot area. Specially of interest as last i remember reading something was going on with that project, like some changes, right? i gotta dis up that thread lol

Reading more about the buy out and I think a little caution should be taken on expectations. They are saying the deal wouldn't close until the end of the year, and there are already reports of opposition to the buyout, with people on both sides feeling like DWA is being overvalued and would lead to problems. Interesting to see how this is going to play out.

true just thought there was sufficient space to fit all in one back there Kidzone-expansion lot area. Specially of interest as last i remember reading something was going on with that project, like some changes, right? i gotta dis up that thread lol

Who knows. Don't believe anything until things are announced

Reading more about the buy out and I think a little caution should be taken on expectations. They are saying the deal wouldn't close until the end of the year, and there are already reports of opposition to the buyout, with people on both sides feeling like DWA is being overvalued and would lead to problems. Interesting to see how this is going to play out.

I will be flabbergasted if this doesn't go through.

I will be flabbergasted if this doesn't go through.

Well, I think if anyone should know that nothing is a done deal until it's a done deal, it's people here on this forum. I don't expect it to fall through, but there is no harm in tempering expectations in case it does. I mean, it's not exactly out of the realm of possibility.

Well, I think if anyone should know that nothing is a done deal until it's a done deal, it's people here on this forum. I don't expect it to fall through, but there is no harm in tempering expectations in case it does. I mean, it's not exactly out of the realm of possibility.

If there was plans for it not to go through, CNBC wouldn't have been the first to break the news...you know the company owned by Comcast. Interesting though I think I know Comcast's next goal.

I could see Shrek getting incorporated into a Dreamworks land/park and then getting yanked from USF when that land/park opens. Maybe that'll be where our SLoP goes. Change Production Central to Illumination Way or something.