Comcast Buys Dreamworks Animation for $3.8bn | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Comcast Buys Dreamworks Animation for $3.8bn

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Right. I was confused because everybody is acting as if this is already set to happen. Granted I do think it's very likely SeaWorld will sell them to Universal.

I mean... it's SeaWorld.

They don't own the rights, that is still Dreamworks. They have contracted out certain uses.

Reactions: Ryan
Looney Tunes and Hanna Barbera are owned by Turner Broadcasting, which is in turn owned by Time Warner and has been since 1996.
Paramount is owned by Viacom, which they got from the 2005 split from CBS Corporation.

There really aren't a lot of smaller independent players left. The ones that are coming to mind for me are really small, like Amblin Partners, The Weinstein Company, Chernin Entertainment and Blumhouse Productions. Lionsgate is probably the largest independent media company I can think of that isn't the subsidiary of something else.

Now if we're talking blockbuster mega-mergers, I think a Comcast-Verizon merger would be a very big one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Macfr3ak
Looney Tunes and Hanna Barbera are owned by Turner Broadcasting, which is in turn owned by Time Warner and has been since 1996.
Paramount is owned by Viacom, which they got from the 2005 split from CBS Corporation.

There really aren't a lot of smaller independent players left. The ones that are coming to mind for me are really small, like Amblin Partners, The Weinstein Company, Chernin Entertainment and Blumhouse Productions. Lionsgate is probably the largest independent media company I can think of that isn't the subsidiary of something else.

Now if we're talking blockbuster mega-mergers, I think a Comcast-Verizon merger would be a very big one.
Lionsgate is basically still an independent (and partially owned by the Canadian government) but the largest shareholder of Starz bought a huge stake in LGF last year so you might possibly see a Starz/LGF merger/acquisition in the future. LGF (Summit) has a substantial library but they don't have much quality in the near pipeline. And the last two Hunger Games and the Divergent series under performed and did not meet expectations.

Reactions: JungleSkip
Lionsgate is basically still an independent (and partially owned by the Canadian government) but the largest shareholder of Starz bought a huge stake in LGF last year so you might possibly see a Starz/LGF merger/acquisition in the future. LGF (Summit) has a substantial library but they don't have much quality in the near pipeline. And the last two Hunger Games and the Divergent series under performed and did not meet expectations.

Yea, LionsGate's future doesn't look great.

Just realized.. with this acquisition Uni can possibly bring even more dragons to the properties ;)

I think a Comcast-Verizon merger would be a very big one.
I can't see that however just cause i cant see that happening doesn't mean jack could very well happen. I imagine Comcast taking a smaller carrier like T-mo or Sprint.

Comcast-Netflix would be a powerhouse
This would be by far the most brilliant move.. really could streamline the initiatives of self produced content. not to mention possibly provide an edge for Comcast subscribers to internet and tv. But if the price of a fledgling animation company is close to 4 bil imagine an uprising movie streaming company like Netflix. lol there is however redbox.. which goes back to the verizon discussion and would be much more affordable...... ok back on topic Uni got DW! and no not Disneyworld DREAMWORKS lol

Reactions: Mad Dog
I can't see that however just cause i cant see that happening doesn't mean jack could very well happen. I imagine Comcast taking a smaller carrier like T-mo or Sprint.

I was speaking more from an AOL/Yahoo and advertising technology angle. Maybe add in FIOS to Xfinity. They could spin out Verizon Wireless as it's own company as far as I'm concerned.

Reactions: Macfr3ak
The government would never approve a Comcast/Verizon merger.It would be considered a trust in the marketplace. They already refused to allow a Comcast purchase of Warner....Comcast will try to build an alternative to Netflix rather than purchase them. One reason they're buying more content....Bring on the dragons! More is better!!!