Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Mako - 2016 SeaWorld Coaster

Rode twice Friday 17th. Claimed 50 min wait but felt 20 each ride But damn that drop alone especially "out of the seat feel". I would think that lapbars and drop be similar to that of Rockit's umm yeah lol.

I agree. It's been years since I rode Apollo's Chariot so maybe I forgot just how FREE (aka unsafe) it feels. :lol:

Mako is awesome. It is so smooth and lends itself to many many re-rides. Only did it once because I wasn't expecting child swap or short lines. So didn't leave ourselves enough time to ride multiple times. But we plan to come back and ride it many times switching off while the kids play in the kid area.

The shark touch area is also a nice place. They have an area to relax in the shade too. Really liking what Sea World has been adding. Also, still love the passholders lounge. Stopped and got some samples on the way to the summer night time shamu show.

Rode Mako Monday afternoon and got there around 4ish. Posted 30 waited 15 then rode 4 more times walk on. They are doing a great job of dispatching really fast unless there is someone that is too big arguing that they should be able to ride... At least it seems that they give the person an express pass for another ride. They should really try to screen people more at the front and have them use the test seat. It seems every other train someone ends up getting off. Unless they don't want to be blunt to the people getting in line.

Does any park pre-screen at the front. My husband is fairly large and they have never had him use the test seats in any park. Now he is able to ride everything including Mako. So maybe they would be looking for larger than him people.

Yes the line moves pretty fast. It was posted 30 when I got on, when my husband went on after me he said the line was at the stairs. Which when I went thru express it was much longer. So in the time it took me to ride express and get back to him they cut the line down a good bit.

Visited Sea World on Thursday and wanted to share my experience with fellow big guys. I am about 6'4", 315lbs with a 44 inch waist. My build is more football player than sumo wrestler; I am broad shouldered and have thicker thighs and calves from sports and being fairly active. I have a decent gut, but I am not a fat guy in appearance, if that makes any sense.

I have ridden hundreds of coasters in more than a dozen countries like a lot of you here and had my 6th "Walk of Shame" ever on Mako ( The others are Apollo's Chariot, Wicked Twister, Millenium Force, Top Fuel, and Silver Star in EuropaPark). I am one for four on these type of coasters/restraints, only able to ride Goliath at SF over Georgia at about 15 lbs lighter. These restraints hit me on the thigh about 5 inches below my belt line, right at the top of my thigh muscle.

I went to Mako first thing out of the gate and it was down for technical difficulties on open. I got in the test seat and clicked it down twice. The staff was very friendly and told me it had to show the bottom of the red line. They unclicked me and advised me to pull hard toward me once more with their help. I di, it clicked, they both said if I could get it to there, I was golden. So after waiting thrity minutes, I get on and can only get two clicks. They let me try twice and helped me on the third try, but it just hits me in the wrong place. As I got off they were very kind and gave me a front of the line pass for anything else in the park. I very politely told them I just wish the test seat didn't say I was good so I could have avoided the wait, but it didn't really embarrass me too bad. I was just bummed I couldn't ride what looks like a great coaster. I let the test seat people know and they said that it was interesting...

For reference, we did all the other parks and I rode both dueling dragons in modified seating no problem, Forbidden Journey, Gringotts, Kraken modified, and of course all the Magic Kingdom stuff as well. If you have big thighs, I think this ride might get you, so be prepared.

Thanks for the site, really enjoyed reading the info here!

Does any park pre-screen at the front. My husband is fairly large and they have never had him use the test seats in any park. Now he is able to ride everything including Mako. So maybe they would be looking for larger than him people.

Yes the line moves pretty fast. It was posted 30 when I got on, when my husband went on after me he said the line was at the stairs. Which when I went thru express it was much longer. So in the time it took me to ride express and get back to him they cut the line down a good bit.
Universal does quietly. They actually have a specific position for it where that's all TMs do. Ive done it for multiple rides (HRRR most often) while working there and it's fairly uncomfortable. You have to profile people by looks and then awkwardly ask them to test out the test seat.

Universal does quietly. They actually have a specific position for it where that's all TMs do. Ive done it for multiple rides (HRRR most often) while working there and it's fairly uncomfortable. You have to profile people by looks and then awkwardly ask them to test out the test seat.
Awkward for sure lol

I was able to ride on Mako on Thursday and yes it was a tight fit. Had one of the scariest phrases said to me after a crew member had helped push down on the restraint to make me fit. They said "It should be fine" as the coaster started to pull out onto the lift. Of course it was fine and I did immediately re-ride and had no problems on second trip. Great air time on this.

The only thing that kinda stinks is this coaster is not that photogenic from anywhere in the park. I feel like the best shots of it would actually be outside the park somewhere.

Tried to get a few rides in today after work, but the weather had other plans.

For all you APs that are 21+, you can try a free pint of the Mako Red Lager from a few of the restaurants in the park for free (one time use, sadly) during the month of July. Also, walked through Shark Encounter today for the first time since opening day. A bunch of new effects and signage have been added to the entire experience, and the Mako promo wall has been rethemed to fit the attraction itself. I really like what they've done with it.