Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - Reviews, Photos, and Videos

The entertainment of the ride is what counts to me. I don't really even pay much attention to the story on any attraction. After all, you can't do much of a story, plot, character development etc. on a 3 to 6 minute thrill ride.

I might be picky, but for me the entertainment comes with the storyline of the ride itself. Like the reason we're on the ride, what our goal is, and what the danger is. I like to be placed into that environment. Even though Kong isn't so clear in the ride, a lot of the story is built up for you in the queue. On the ride, each driver has to do with the story in a different way. Those different interactions are intriguing to me. I love the Forbidden Journey attraction, and the queue does have a wonderful environment. However, i wish there was a hidden story to why we're flying around rather than a "greatest hits" bit. Apparently there is a story told in the queue, so I'll have to look into it.

Speaking of the story bit, I think rides like Kong, Jaws, The Mummy, Simpsons, Doctor Doom, Spiderman, Gringotts, and Jurassic Park have wonderful stories that really benefit the ride. The way Mummy is built up in the queue is outstanding to me, all of that helps my ride entertainment. Spiderman's story with us being amateur reporters and having a special vehicle to report the robbery of the statue of liberty, watching it is part of my entertainment. Simpson's story is also something quite minimal, but effective and easy to follow and i think it makes a mediocre attraction worth riding. Same with Doctor Doom, the story benefits that ride which is fairly short and mediocre. I think Kongfrontation and Jaws, even if they're gone, one thing they really had for them was a story that felt true. The whole plotline helps you feel like you're not at an amusement park, but you're in the scenario given. I feel personally that the story is apart of what makes the ride entertaining, but that's just me.

I might be picky, but for me the entertainment comes with the storyline of the ride itself. Like the reason we're on the ride, what our goal is, and what the danger is. I like to be placed into that environment. Even though Kong isn't so clear in the ride, a lot of the story is built up for you in the queue. On the ride, each driver has to do with the story in a different way. Those different interactions are intriguing to me. I love the Forbidden Journey attraction, and the queue does have a wonderful environment. However, i wish there was a hidden story to why we're flying around rather than a "greatest hits" bit. Apparently there is a story told in the queue, so I'll have to look into it.

Speaking of the story bit, I think rides like Kong, Jaws, The Mummy, Simpsons, Doctor Doom, Spiderman, Gringotts, and Jurassic Park have wonderful stories that really benefit the ride. The way Mummy is built up in the queue is outstanding to me, all of that helps my ride entertainment. Spiderman's story with us being amateur reporters and having a special vehicle to report the robbery of the statue of liberty, watching it is part of my entertainment. Simpson's story is also something quite minimal, but effective and easy to follow and i think it makes a mediocre attraction worth riding. Same with Doctor Doom, the story benefits that ride which is fairly short and mediocre. I think Kongfrontation and Jaws, even if they're gone, one thing they really had for them was a story that felt true. The whole plotline helps you feel like you're not at an amusement park, but you're in the scenario given. I feel personally that the story is apart of what makes the ride entertaining, but that's just me.
This is great...I honestly have never gotten the love for FJ..is it ambitious? Yes, but I feel it is extremely disjointed and feel Gringotts and Kong have a stronger narrative...Kong has a very strong buildup as well...everything you see in the queue you experience in the ride, i.e. The witch blowing, The slugs, and of course, Kong..I feel FJ is simply, as you said, a best of Harry Potter moments with a weak story..

It may be a matter of different tastes, but FJ has always been overly praised to me

This is great...I honestly have never gotten the love for FJ..is it ambitious? Yes, but I feel it is extremely disjointed and feel Gringotts and Kong have a stronger narrative...Kong has a very strong buildup as well...everything you see in the queue you experience in the ride, i.e. The witch blowing, The slugs, and of course, Kong..I feel FJ is simply, as you said, a best of Harry Potter moments with a weak story..

It may be a matter of different tastes, but FJ has always been overly praised to me

Agreed. And when I am with others they tend to like Gringotts more. Better storyline.

Everyone has been nitpicking that you can see the edge of the screens on Kong which takes away from the immersive experience. I think part of what FJ does nicely is that it's so all over the place, it doesn't feel quite like you are just being transported from screen to screen to screen. It has lots of great physical sets mixed in. It's the perfect balance. Gringotts has a great story line and some great scenes, but it has that feeling of just moving from screen to screen.

Apparently there is a story told in the queue, so I'll have to look into it.

I guess it's easy to miss if the wait is minimal. First time I rode we strolled right through the classroom area. The second time the line was backed up so we actually stopped in that room so I noticed Harry telling some sort of story setting up the ride.

Everyone has been nitpicking that you can see the edge of the screens on Kong which takes away from the immersive experience. I think part of what FJ does nicely is that it's so all over the place, it doesn't feel quite like you are just being transported from screen to screen to screen. It has lots of great physical sets mixed in. It's the perfect balance. Gringotts has a great story line and some great scenes, but it has that feeling of just moving from screen to screen.

I actually agree with this bit though. I do prefer Kong slightly as an overall experience, but both FJ and Spiderman feel really immersive. Kong feels like you're moving from screen to screen. Gringotts at least has the cave set with fake tracks and stuff, but i agree; i was missing an animation on that ride. At least the animatronics in the queue are really nice. I'd say Gringotts is more immersive than Kong in the screen use though. Gringotts actually feels like you're in the screen whereas the edges of Kong takes away from that a bit.

From last night, during the lighting storm. Just taken from my phone, so not the best, but pretty cool none the less.

Just had to say how amazing these pictures are. I quickly skimmed the thread but it seems no one took any amazing pics of the Kong AA. Get on it!!! :lol:

Here is a photo of the secret Fast Pass we received for Kong being down for an extended period of time. I say secret because we always thought rides like FJ, DM and Gringotts didn't offer Fast Pass.FP2.JPG

Here is a photo of the secret Fast Pass we received for Kong being down for an extended period of time. I say secret because we always thought rides like FJ, DM and Gringotts didn't offer Fast Pass.View attachment 2712
That's what I got a couple times during my visit. Special one time express passes they give you when a ride breaks down or you are inconvenienced in some way. It makes sense to include those because it's usually rides like FJ and Gringotts that break down frequently. I'm sure they will include Kong on those slips soon.

Usually the "golden tickets" were handed out to people who already had bought express - it added HP and Minions (the ones at Disaster were indeed gold colored and included Gringotts). We had regular white ones for non-express people that gave them a 1-time express access to normal express venues

Hello everyone. We r sitting at the West Palm Beach airport and I thought I would share my impressions of the ride. We drive up from our timeshare in WPB specifically to ride Kong and Hulk. We stayed at the Porto Fino hotel (sorry.. Spell check won't let me put the words together) and hit IOA at 5 pm Monday night. Rode Hulk.. Doom.. Spider... Then get in line at Kong with a posted 75 min wait which turned out to be accurate. The outside queue is very well done... the roar of the vehicles passing by added to the excitement. I found though that once you entered the temple there really wasn't anything to look at. While the witch AA was impressive... I think we saw almost 3 cycles.. The rest of the room was also kind of bare... Then down some more plain black corridors till you get to the few displays.... And board. As far as the ride goes it was OK but I wouldn't wait longer than 35 minutes... My wife's verdict... Too short..

Anyway nice to see a non water ride that works in the rain. That's a big plus
While I have the floor.. This is my first visit to IOA at night and it was gorgeous... Too bad more don't see it.

Final... Queue B-
Ride..... B

My wife and 2 adult daughters all rated Gringots #1

Thanks for reading..

David

Hello everyone. We r sitting at the West Palm Beach airport and I thought I would share my impressions of the ride. We drive up from our timeshare in WPB specifically to ride Kong and Hulk. We stayed at the Porto Fino hotel (sorry.. Spell check won't let me put the words together) and hit IOA at 5 pm Monday night. Rode Hulk.. Doom.. Spider... Then get in line at Kong with a posted 75 min wait which turned out to be accurate. The outside queue is very well done... the roar of the vehicles passing by added to the excitement. I found though that once you entered the temple there really wasn't anything to look at. While the witch AA was impressive... I think we saw almost 3 cycles.. The rest of the room was also kind of bare... Then down some more plain black corridors till you get to the few displays.... And board. As far as the ride goes it was OK but I wouldn't wait longer than 35 minutes... My wife's verdict... Too short..

Anyway nice to see a non water ride that works in the rain. That's a big plus
While I have the floor.. This is my first visit to IOA at night and it was gorgeous... Too bad more don't see it.

Final... Queue B-
Ride..... B

My wife and 2 adult daughters all rated Gringots #1

Thanks for reading..

David
No thoughts on the Kong AA?

No thoughts on the Kong AA?

Yes.. It was very lifelike but not scary... I guess we r just meant to appreciate the technology? There's no sense of danger... Why r we stopping here in the story other then to look... What if the vehicle stalled right there in total darkness.... You hear Kong roaring... . Then your driver turns on the overhead spots... And you see the same Kong in all his glory... The engine finally kicks over and your roar out of the tunnel and back to the unload area....

I've heard a lot of people complain that the ride is too short, but isn't it the one of the longest if not the longest in the whole resort time wise?

It is an odd phenom with this attraction. Some say it is because of the poor rounding of the storyline. I have mused that perhaps it's too entertaining for its own good. Regardless, most find the experience too short. There is little Uni can do with these verdicts.

Yes.. It was very lifelike but not scary... I guess we r just meant to appreciate the technology? There's no sense of danger... Why r we stopping here in the story other then to look... What if the vehicle stalled right there in total darkness.... You hear Kong roaring... . Then your driver turns on the overhead spots... And you see the same Kong in all his glory... The engine finally kicks over and your roar out of the tunnel and back to the unload area....
I think of it as a calm after the storm of the 360 scene. Different strokes I guess.

Hi, I'm back! Today I rode Kong again with my family and I went into the regular queue finally. Here's my review for the regular queue.

Queue: It was great. I enjoyed the radio broadcasts from the National Broadcast Company. (;)) and inside the temple had a very creepy atmosphere. I entered the witch room and it was great as well. The scareactors scared me once and that's it. Then I saw the worm and yeah basically that was it.
Ride: Sat in 3rd row far right.
Also since it rained when we rode, we used the bypass.
Since I already gave my review, I'll give a more negative review from my sister. Here are the main points of her review
1. "Too much action"
2. Bad story
Pretty much it.
Thanks for reading if you did!

Hi, I'm back! Today I rode Kong again with my family and I went into the regular queue finally. Here's my review for the regular queue.

Queue: It was great. I enjoyed the radio broadcasts from the National Broadcast Company. (;)) and inside the temple had a very creepy atmosphere. I entered the witch room and it was great as well. The scareactors scared me once and that's it. Then I saw the worm and yeah basically that was it.
Since I already gave my review, I'll give a more negative review from my sister. Here are the main points of her review
1. "Too much action"
2. Bad story
Pretty much it.
There's no such thing as too much action ;)

1. "Too much action"
2. Bad story
Pretty much it.

Strange that you preferred the ride more than the queue line. Personally I found waiting in line much more enjoyable, as the ride itself is nothing more than a bunch of boring screens with short movies projected on them and predictable "oh no we got squirted with water" gags thrown at you.