Great Movie Ride Closing? | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Great Movie Ride Closing?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Fair enough! I just hope there's a little more to this than it just being a Mickey Mouse version of Ratatouille, which would be my concern. A Mickey Mouse version of Mystic Manor would get me very excited.

Perhaps, if we're seeing the technology from Pirates; wouldn't it be a better idea to compare the actual attraction to that (and Star War's, as that's rumored to have the same system too)?

Perhaps, if we're seeing the technology from Pirates; wouldn't it be a better idea to compare the actual attraction to that (and Star War's, as that's rumored to have the same system too)?

I don't know. Insiders who know about the Star Wars battle attraction have compared it to Ratatouille and/or Mystic Manor in approach, and marni1971 has said the Mickey attraction will likely be very similar to the battle ride.

I personally don't find Ratatouille and Mystic to be terribly similar beyond the fact that they're both trackless (as one is mostly screens/simulatory stuff peppered with sets, while the other is heavy on the sets and AAs, augmented with projection effects), but they seem to be used interchangeably by some as a point of reference to upcoming projects.

Yeah, that's BS. Just poop flinging. It's not going down in 2017, Disney has to play out their contract with TCM and the park is still down rides.

It'll go down in 2019. (early in it)

I imagine the open date will be 2021... alongside SWL. :shrug:
I mean, Disney doesn't *have* to. They can and will get out of the contract if they really want to. Supposedly TCM has already been informed the the GMR will be closing.

Chalk me up as excited if the rumor is true and it's done in a Mystic Manor kinda way. I certainly won't miss the CMs phoning it in with the spiels on GMR. Last ride was about 5 years ago and the CM playing the gangster was talking so muffled and fast that no one understood her. The best part of that ride is the theater pre-load with the movie trailers anyway.

The best part of that ride is the theater pre-load with the movie trailers anyway.

Yup. Got cut in the TCM re-do btw.

I think if anything this ride proves predicting what will be considered "classic" movies 20 years from now is as difficult as predicting "the future." But for Poppins and Alien, the first 2/3 of that ride is given over to entire genres--not just movies--that pop culture has forgotten.

Also demonstrates that hiring non-Equity "actors" without any sort of an audition policy is a horrible idea. Cf. Jungle Cruise. For every Right Guard, you get two kids who are game but just ok, and two more who clearly do not want to be there anymore.

Hasn't a Mickey ride been one of the top guests asks for years? Seems a perfect place for it, at the end of a street celebrating 1920s-1930s Hollywood.

I mean, Disney doesn't *have* to. They can and will get out of the contract if they really want to. Supposedly TCM has already been informed the the GMR will be closing.

Yes. And Disney won't be renewing. But I highly doubt they're gonna buy out the rest of the contract to keep someone from paying to keep a ride open in a park that desperately needs them.

I mean, there really isn't a Mickey ride anywhere...so I suppose it wouldn't be all bad...GMR is still stuck in the MGM days