Great Movie Ride Closing? | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Great Movie Ride Closing?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
"Original" attraction without it being a severe update to GMR makes absolutely zero sense to me in a park like the IP-heavyweight DHS. I wonder if Marni meant original as in "not a clone of RSR" like phase 3 was supposed to be?

Either way I don't see GMR closing until 2019 at the earliest. We still got some time with this attraction, a ton in fact... of course that doesn't stop some people over on some other MAGICAL parts of the internet to run around like chickens with their heads cut off.

Some of them seem to geniunely believe this, Tower and UoE are all being replaced by GotG rides. Chalk that one up to insane paranoia.

"Original" attraction without it being a severe update to GMR makes absolutely zero sense to me in a park like the IP-heavyweight DHS. I wonder if Marni meant original as in "not a clone of RSR" like phase 3 was supposed to be?

Either way I don't see GMR closing until 2019 at the earliest. We still got some time with this attraction, a ton in fact... of course that doesn't stop some people over on some other MAGICAL parts of the internet to run around like chickens with their heads cut off.

Some of them seem to geniunely believe this, Tower and UoE are all being replaced by GotG rides. Chalk that one up to insane paranoia.
Out of all of those, only UoE is in a position where GotG replacement seems imminent.

ToT is beloved and DHS' masterpiece - it's also in a park with only 5 rides and about half the capacity of DCA. So I'd say it's pretty much safe since the GotG E-ticket will be greenlit long before late 2018/early 2o19 IMO.

Ellen is just not popular anymore. It has great capacity... but no one wants to ride it. It runs with empty cars all of the time... and the people who do ride are only using it as a place to nap, play Pokemon Go or use their phone. Few actually pay attention to the attraction anymore. While I'd much rather see a 15-minute Omnimover with colossal sets and updated material replace Ellen and maintain the edutainment aspect of Epcot, I recognize Epcot is in dire need of capacity to relieve Soarin', Test Track, and Frozen Ever After.

Ellen only gets maybe 1/3 of its actual hourly capacity. A GotG E-ticket with 2,000-2,500/hr capacity would definitely draw big crowds and ease wait times for Soarin' and Test Track. It also would draw more people than Ellen and if an edutainment aspect were included, it could actually engage audiences, too.

The part that should make most angry is that Inside Out is PERFECT for an Epcot edutainment E-ticket - unlike most IPs, it's relevant both to Imagination and the old WoL pavilion. Unlike Frozen and GotG, I don't think most would complain about IO getting a family dark ride and rebooted Cranium Command show somewhere in Future World since it's relevant.

Furthermore, IO actually made more money in theaters and on video than GotG did. Yet TDO wants GotG to replace Ellen over IO?? I'd rather see GotG, BH6, Wreck-it Ralph and Incredibles included in a superhero area as DHS' Phase 3.

GMR - I just don't see GotG replacing it. It's an odd fit and UoE/WoL is a relatively dead area of Epcot, while GMR still draws crowds looking for something to do after Toy Story/Star Tours/RnRC/ToT. GMR actually reaches a solid chunk of its capacity, still, while Ellen hardly gets 1/3.

Reactions: tankart150 and Ryan
...Wasn't this rumored to happen a long time ago? Because if this is going to happen..and I mean, if it will..

god help the Operations team at DHS.

It has been rumored for eons upon eons. Easily since the 2000 at the earliest, when I first got dial-up internet this is one of the very first rumors I read.

Anyways: I don't think it'll close in 2018, but 2019 or 2020 when SWL gets ready to open if this happens. It still has quite a bit left to go even in this "scenario". Would I be upset? Well if they're never going to truly update the damn thing then no... no I'm not. I'm just glad it made it to be captured in extreme low light and with 360 cams.

Bring on whatever crap Chapek requested WDI to build.

I think that is one of the very first Screamscape rumors I ever remember reading, back when there was buzz about CAVE technology turning the Great Movie Ride into a 3-D holodeck-type thing.

Seems like it may not be an IP replacement, if the rumors on WDWMagic seem to turn out true.

So wait, the rumor is that the attraction replacing GMR won't be IP-based??

So wait, the rumor is that the attraction replacing GMR won't be IP-based??
No, i've read through the thread up to the most recent post, it's most certainly an IP. GotG is not it. It seems lik this is the same situation as was discussed for UoE if GotG were to go in. Complete gutting and a new E ticket that likely doesn't fit it's surroundings would go in.

Is that right? It's been so long now, it's easy to think that Eisner stuck to his guns on insisting that DCA 1.0 wasn't a failure.
If we can get @Marni1971 over here he would know best, but i'm pretty sure a good majority of work had began at the very least within WDI by the time Iger took over. It was right around that time though where a plan would've been coming into fruition though as CarsLand was announced in 2007. Of course I could be wrong and maybe Iger was a bit saner in his earlier years and he looked at the mess (bottom line) that was DCA 1.0 and basically just said "fix it".

If we can get @Marni1971 over here he would know best, but i'm pretty sure a good majority of work had began at the very least within WDI by the time Iger took over. It was right around that time though where a plan would've been coming into fruition though as CarsLand was announced in 2007. Of course I could be wrong and maybe Iger was a bit saner in his earlier years and he looked at the mess (bottom line) that was DCA 1.0 and basically just said "fix it".

I kinda actually hope you're right, I have such a respect for what he and Wells accomplished in the 80s and early 90s that I hope Eisner had the capacity to learn from his experiences with DCA and WDSP. If that's the case, it's a shame he moved on.

Reactions: tankart150
Wow all these Disney rumors are all over the map lately, I'm getting to the point where I don't believe any of them, or the safe bet... pick lamest option.

Since I have a good feeling, if they do something with this attraction, there's a good chance they will keep the same ride system (just due to factual present trends). A great idea IMO... Since this is the 1st and only true ride in the park from day one, and since I've read the old rumors of closing down One Man's Dream (which in my opinion, it's a sin)... Then GMR should turn into the new OMD. Using props from OMD for the queue and the history of Walt Disney Pictures from then till now. Once you board the ride, you will get a medley of many Disney Movie Scenes today... Nemo, Zootopia, OZ, Alice, hopefully not Frozen :lmao:. You guys get my idea... it keeps the tradition of the ride itself since day one but adding a tribute to the man who made all this happened while bringing a individual brief experience from today's Disney movies which will definitely attract the new generation attention. Oh yes! and have an Original EPCOT mentality while updating the ride, so it could be easier to replace scenes with new movies as they come out... Bottom line is Disney Pictures and Pixar have been doing pretty good lately, so why not? Besides, Walter E Disney deserves it. Anyway, what major Disney movie was premiered at the Chinese Theater? I get confused with El Capitan. Since the outside theme is the 30's ish I think.