Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Great Movie Ride Closing?

I don't get all the hate. GMR is a ride that guests either never ride, don't like, or think it is outdated. My SIL hates it and refuses to ride it, I think it is just ok and could take it or leave it, my friends who come down yearly never even bothered to ride it until I dragged them on it. They said they were glad they did it for parts, but didn't need to do it again. It scored low on surveys. So why not replace it? It seems the tech is being moved away from and probably getting expensive to run (think Disaster), so again why not replace it. Putting something new and awesome there I think is a great idea.

Disney is FINALLY paying attention to a park that needs a TON of help and everyone keeps hating on what they are doing. Adding 5 new attractions in 5 years with 4 of then being in brand new lands. Adding a larger footprint to the park and leaving expansion pads for later additions. I get they waited too long and should have done this year's ago, but outside of that complaint I don't get all the hate.

I don't get all the hate. GMR is a ride that guests either never ride, don't like, or think it is outdated. My SIL hates it and refuses to ride it, I think it is just ok and could take it or leave it, my friends who come down yearly never even bothered to ride it until I dragged them on it. They said they were glad they did it for parts, but didn't need to do it again. It scored low on surveys. So why not replace it? It seems the tech is being moved away from and probably getting expensive to run (think Disaster), so again why not replace it. Putting something new and awesome there I think is a great idea.

Disney is FINALLY paying attention to a park that needs a TON of help and everyone keeps hating on what they are doing. Adding 5 new attractions in 5 years with 4 of then being in brand new lands. Adding a larger footprint to the park and leaving expansion pads for later additions. I get they waited too long and should have done this year's ago, but outside of that complaint I don't get all the hate.
Because in the end the park will still have little to do. It needs more additions than replacements.

Because in the end the park will still have little to do. It needs more additions than replacements.

I think it needs both. I think certain rides needs replaced and certain parts developed more. Once SWL is open capacity will be higher than before with rides people actually want to ride. Backlot, LMA, GMR, and a playground for 5 new rides is way better. No one cared about that other stuff or rode it often. Capacity was much lower because less people went on that stuff. Plus 5 rides is better than 3 rides and a playground. I am not sure why people say it will have the same amount of stuff. It will have more and much better quality and varied stuff.

I think it needs both. I think certain rides needs replaced and certain parts developed more. Once SWL is open capacity will be higher than before with rides people actually want to ride. Backlot, LMA, GMR, and a playground for 5 new rides is way better. No one cared about that other stuff or rode it often. Capacity was much lower because less people went on that stuff. Plus 5 rides is better than 3 rides and a playground. I am not sure why people say it will have the same amount of stuff. It will have more and much better quality and varied stuff.
I didn't say it would have the same, I said it would still have little to do which it will with only 9 rides. That's pathetic for a park that in 2019 will be 30 years old. Here's a post I made on Magic on what I would've done.
What DHS should've been:

SWL up front near Star Tours expanding into the parking lot.

Muppets, same as what's going on.

Pixar over SoA/LMA. Incredibles E Ticket, Monsters Inc. D Ticket coaster + relocated Laugh Floor (BH6 takes its spot in Tomorrowland), an Up D Ticket like Shanghai's Peter Pan, Gusteau's restaurant, Wall-E AA rolling around for M&G's, and TSMM stays pretty much the same as it is now with the third track. Current TSL plot is unused.

Animation Courtyard becomes Toontown with the rumored Mickey ride and a clone of Roger Rabbit.

That brings the total ride count to 12. It's really too bad though that Disney lost their ability to handle a budget so much so that Avatar alone costs around $1 Billion and TSL has to see constant cuts. I can't imagine what my plan here would cost.

Edit: I actually just thought of what could go in the TSL plot in my idea.

Frozen if it wasn't shoehorned into Epcot.

Put in a third clone of the E Ticket rumored for Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea and then a reindeer version of the Buzz ride that's coming to TSL which itself is a different version of Mater's ride in Cars Land.

That brings the ride count up to 14 in my idea where we started with 6 before BLT closed.

Last edited:
^^^^ You realize even Universal doesn't build that many rides in 5 years, right?

Starting in 2010 when HP opened they have built 3 rides in studios, 2 in IOA and 1 that goes between both. So 6 total rides in all their parks in 6 years. Unless I am missing something.

^^^^ You realize even Universal doesn't build that many rides in 5 years, right?

Starting in 2010 when HP opened they have built 3 rides in studios, 2 in IOA and 1 that goes between both. So 6 total rides in all their parks in 6 years. Unless I am missing something.
Where did I say it would all be done in 5 years? Either way this is what happens when you let a park stagnate for as long as they did. They have to make a big fix rather than adding over time.

Where did I say it would all be done in 5 years? Either way this is what happens when you let a park stagnate for as long as they did. They have to make a big fix rather than adding over time.

The current additions are being done over the next 5 years. They may do more down the road, we just don't know. But right now I think what they are doing over 5 years is a pretty decent amount.

It certainly was a rollercoaster ride reading through this thread. I am a huge fan of GMR, so I was bummed when I saw the title. But I understand it's well past it's prime. The TCM update did brighten it up a bit, but also killed some favorites of die hard fans. However, if the Mickey rumor is true I couldn't be more excited. Even though Mickey is really the king of Disney IPs, it would feel a lot more original than anything they've done lately. If that makes sense.

I don't think this overhaul is perfect (neither was DCA's, as good as it turned out). But to think it's anything but great for the park is crazy. TSL will be a massive upgrade to Honey I Shrunk the Kids for the little ones. As much as I will mourn the Osborne lights, the SOA were really just taking up space. As was the Happiest Celebration on Earth hangover LMA. The only question is if the SWL E-Ticket can live up to its billing.

The current additions are being done over the next 5 years. They may do more down the road, we just don't know. But right now I think what they are doing over 5 years is a pretty decent amount.
Part of my post was also about how the placement of SWL completely screwed the best spot for Pixar expansion which now just leaves us with cheapo TSL that seems to be going through plenty of cuts even though it was already cheap to begin with. I'm excited for SWL but this doesn't seem like the grand makeover the park really needs especially with GMR getting replaced when it really doesn't need to be. Mickey should be a new ride to expand capacity and GMR just needs an update.
It certainly was a rollercoaster ride reading through this thread. I am a huge fan of GMR, so I was bummed when I saw the title. But I understand it's well past it's prime. The TCM update did brighten it up a bit, but also killed some favorites of die hard fans. However, if the Mickey rumor is true I couldn't be more excited. Even though Mickey is really the king of Disney IPs, it would feel a lot more original than anything they've done lately. If that makes sense.

I don't think this overhaul is perfect (neither was DCA's, as good as it turned out). But to think it's anything but great for the park is crazy. TSL will be a massive upgrade to Honey I Shrunk the Kids for the little ones. As much as I will mourn the Osborne lights, the SOA were really just taking up space. As was the Happiest Celebration on Earth hangover LMA. The only question is if the SWL E-Ticket can live up to its billing.
It is very good for the park, but not great. It still needs plenty more to fix its problems.

Oh, and SWL has 2 E Tickets. Not 1.

Last edited:
It is very good for the park, but not great. It still needs plenty more to fix its problems.

Oh, and SWL has 2 E Tickets. Not 1.

Well, yeah. Every theme park in the world needs work. But there will surely be additions in the future to address the other issues. Even DCA kept the fractured Hollywood Land in its massive overhaul. And USF is still working on fleshing out the rest of its park after Diagon Alley. It's a process.

Well, yeah. Every theme park in the world needs work. But there will surely be additions in the future to address the other issues. Even DCA kept the fractured Hollywood Land in its massive overhaul. And USF is still working on fleshing out the rest of its park after Diagon Alley. It's a process.

This so much. Parks need work and I am not saying these expansions fix everything, they dont. But expecting it to be fixed in 5 years is insane. This is a great start and I don't think SWL placement messes everything up. I think after SWL they can remove Little Mermaid and Animation court and add in more Pixar properties and join it up with rock n roll behind everything making the park more of a hub and spoke where the spokes connect like MK. They also can eventually get rid of Indy and do a major land over there. I think placement of SWL was genious. Indy is popular and gives good capacity. So they left more capacity and allow it to be built faster. Smart move in my book.

The question being will Disney do more after TSL, SWL, and MM are done or will they see it as "good enough." DCA keeping Hollywood Land for future expansion is a good point, except... It's been recently said that the rumored Marvel expansion for that site possibly won't happen until 2020-21 at the earliest with SWL and Frozen at DL being bigger priorities. A full 8-9 years after "Phase 1" of DCA with Buena Vista Street and Cars Land. Thankfully that park already has plenty of rides to fill out a day and soak people up so while it's not ideal it's still a much better situation than DHS is in currently. So far I haven't seen any indication that Disney sticks to their "Phase 2's" in a timely manner. Even DAK will need more after Avatar but will anything be done?

The question being will Disney do more after TSL, SWL, and MM are done or will they see it as "good enough." DCA keeping Hollywood Land for future expansion is a good point, except... It's been recently said that the rumored Marvel expansion for that site possibly won't happen until 2020-21 at the earliest with SWL and Frozen at DL being bigger priorities. A full 8-9 years after "Phase 1" of DCA with Buena Vista Street and Cars Land. Thankfully that park already has plenty of rides to fill out a day and soak people up so while it's not ideal it's still a much better situation than DHS is in currently. So far I haven't seen any indication that Disney sticks to their "Phase 2's" in a timely manner. Even DAK will need more after Avatar but will anything be done?
Phase 2's are more like Never Never Land. They never ever happen. :lol:

This is getting wildly off-track for the GMR thread. But GMR will be 30 years old in 2019. So eventually a ride that has constantly been rumored for updates or occasional Muppet/Disney re-themes, may finally be replaced. So yes, at some point, things will be done. Just maybe not what you want.:shrug:

All, will lock this thread in a few days since it is now closed and all talk of Mickey can go into that thread.

Post your thoughts and last comments on the attraction here.

I recommend fans of the attractions to check out Bioreconstruct's pictures of WDWNT's after hours goodbye party inside TGMR. Lot's of interesting pictures.