Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Will Another Coaster Ever Be Built At Universal?

Feb 28, 2016
Florida, USA
All three of Universal's latest expansions have been 3d screen based rides. Sure, they rebuilt Hulk, but I'm questioning if Universal is done with large outdoor coasters. I hope not because Studios really needs a proper coaster. Rip Ride Rockit is a mediocre ride at best (though the non-inverting loop is awesome). Gringotts was a nice hybrid ride, but the actual coaster section is horribly short. Mummy is arguably the best coaster at Studios, but it still isn't that intense. A nice outdoor coaster near MIB would be awesome.

All three of Universal's latest expansions have been 3d screen based rides. Sure, they rebuilt Hulk, but I'm questioning if Universal is done with large outdoor coasters. I hope not because Studios really needs a proper coaster. Rip Ride Rockit is a mediocre ride at best (though the non-inverting loop is awesome). Gringotts was a nice hybrid ride, but the actual coaster section is horribly short. Mummy is arguably the best coaster at Studios, but it still isn't that intense. A nice outdoor coaster near MIB would be awesome.

It's been rumored that Nintendo may be recieving a Donkey Kong themed mine cart coaster and from what it seems, there is some valid truth to that with some of the recent patents that have leaked..

as for besides that? Nothing else has been really popping out, besides what could be for a replacement of DC. Atleast, on the North end of the UOR property (USF, IOA).

Donkey Kong is going to be a coaster...
Did not know that. Cool.

Meh. I'm more than happy going to SeaWorld/Busch or Six Flags for coasters. Unless they're going to do something like Everest or Big Thunder or even Rock 'n Roller Coaster, I don't think they should bother.
A highly themed coaster like the ones you mentioned would be cool.

Whos to say we won't get as intense of a coaster as Hulk and DC but still having it highly themed. If we get more coasters like those, they'll be much more similar to probably some of the attractions like from Phantasaland or Europa Park in a sense. Highly themed, yet highly thrilling attractions for a particular group of thrill seekers.

Indoor or small very themed family coasters, yes. They don't really have the space to waste on a large unthemed coaster. That's not Universal's thing anymore, nor does it need to be. The Hulk & Rocket are sufficient for their needs. I imagine Dragons won't exist in the near future.

Indoor or small very themed family coasters, yes. They don't really have the space to waste on a large unthemed coaster. That's not Universal's thing anymore, nor does it need to be. The Hulk & Rocket are sufficient for their needs. I imagine Dragons won't exist in the near future.

Probably not on the North end of the Resort property, but I honestly wouldn't rule the southern property out of eventually getting that.

Well unlike everyone else I actually hope Universal does build a nice large outdoor coaster. At least two more. Doesn't have to be anything towering of course but definitely love the outside coasters.

At the same time I'm not opposed to anything highly themed and indoor. Whether Universal needs a big coaster outside or not is not my place to say but I wouldn't mind

Yes, I agree. I would think they'll probably put one highly desired thrill, maybe one of a kind, type coaster in the new park.

To be honest, as I said; it's not like you can't have multiple thrilling coasters like a Hulk or Dragons Challenge. Perhaps not in the way where it essentially can be seen from the Interstate; but more similar to coasters like Taron/Black Mamba from Phantasialand or coasters like Alantis Adventure at Lotte World in South Korea. I can see very easily them going in the direction of those types of coaster experiences for the future theme parks down at the South complex of UOR.

To be honest, as I said; it's not like you can't have multiple thrilling coasters like a Hulk or Dragons Challenge. Perhaps not in the way where it essentially can be seen from the Interstate; but more similar to coasters like Taron/Black Mamba from Phantasialand or coasters like Alantis Adventure at Lotte World in South Korea. I can see very easily them going in the direction of those types of coaster experiences for the future theme parks down at the South complex of UOR.
Space is such a prominent factor, that's why I can see something at the new park, but not the present two. Unless they build something like Kennywood's newest coaster, which is a really fun launch coaster built on only about an acre or two of land.

Space is such a prominent factor, that's why I can see something at the new park, but not the present two. Unless they build something like Kennywood's newest coaster, which is a really fun launch coaster built on only about an acre or two of land.

Although, who's to say that Universals next park may have some areas that are compact and are using more vertical like path designs? I could see them getting away with it easily, and who's forgetting that they have space on a tight lockdown. I mean, especially when you look at Diagon, the Japan/Hollywood Hogsmeades and arguably some of what Japan seems to be wanting to do with Super Nintendo World.

It's not impossible that they can pull it off.

Building a coaster (especially a B&M) with a 54" height requirement really limit the ridership. Yes, thrill seekers love them, but they can be found in their local regional park and generally are not something someone besides a coaster enthusiast travels for specifically. They also have a big drawback in Florida with the daily thunderstorms in the peak summer season which require shutting down for periods of time.

Indoor dark rides or indoor coasters (which would naturally be smaller in scale) are a much better idea for future attractions for their weather resistance along with the fact that the neighbors won't have complaints about noise and hours of operation.

Before the FnF ride was even announced I thought the exact same thing. Seemed like the perfect IP for a car-themed coaster (thing Verbolten at BgW). Guess I was wrong...

It was rumored in the past that The Grinch would've been expanded with a coaster with the technology of Verbolten..but it apparently has just stopped in terms of any update for years.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're essentially trying to merge concepts of the Amber Mine attraction with The Grinch for Donkey Kong in what seems for the Patents..