Will Another Coaster Ever Be Built At Universal? | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Will Another Coaster Ever Be Built At Universal?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
tl;dr yes there will be another actual new coaster (no inside info just logic). But I mean Gringotts does use a coaster ride system so....

Long Explanation: Universal, for better or for worse, respond to guest feedback quickly and sharply. IOA was designed around feedback from guests wanting flat rides, water rides, and coasters. Guest approval ratings of Spider-Man and Transformers (USH and Singapore) got us Gringotts, Kong, F&F. And now guests rating things like Kong and VR lower leading to another wave of different styles of attractions. Guest feedback will create the demand for another Hulk/DC/RRR style coaster.
This is why I hate guest feedback surveys having so much influence though. Walt famously said at one point that "Guests don't know what they want" (or something to that tune).

UC should be trusted in delivering high quality experiences that give the guests what they didn't know they wanted.

This is why I hate guest feedback surveys having so much influence though. Walt famously said at one point that "Guests don't know what they want" (or something to that tune).

UC should be trusted in delivering high quality experiences that give the guests what they didn't know they wanted.

Sometimes, people don't know what they want because they don't know what can be done. The old, "you don't know what you don't know". Still, guest surveys can be appropriate if used the right way. If you ask the "mommy bloggers", then no thrill rides would ever be built, just meet-n-greets. If you ask thrill junkies, only thrill rides would be built. So, you have to ask a representative sample.

Sometimes, people don't know what they want because they don't know what can be done. The old, "you don't know what you don't know". Still, guest surveys can be appropriate if used the right way. If you ask the "mommy bloggers", then no thrill rides would ever be built, just meet-n-greets. If you ask thrill junkies, only thrill rides would be built. So, you have to ask a representative sample.
I'm not against surveys, they serve their purpose. But putting so much stock into them is where I have an issue.

Reactions: SkiBum
I don't think we'll ever see a Hulk or Dragon Challenge again. I think we'll see highly themed, more family friendly coasters.

IMO, the big coasters (like Hulk) are very divisive rides and scare off just as many people as they attract. Universal wants rides that are thrilling but accessible.

you know I see this argument all the time, and I just don't agree.

I'd argue that large coasters like Hulk and DD, are what has drawn a lot of people to these parks in the first place. Disney still does not have anything like it in their parks, and who really goes to Sea World for just roller coasters? (hint: not many people). Hulk, RRR, still command long waits, especially Hulk. DD has the benefit of excellent capacity (it's technically two rides), so we don't see lines as much.

I'd also like to call out the folks that think large roller coasters can't be properly "themed", All three of their coasters have a heavy theme, "although DD lost a huge portion of it when Potter took over". That being said, not everything needs to be themed to be considered fun.

Orlando does not have a "coaster focused" park, so in my opinion, the more coasters built in UOR the better.

Reactions: Chase3

I'd argue that large coasters like Hulk and DD, are what has drawn a lot of people to these parks in the first place. Disney still does not have anything like it in their parks, and who really goes to Sea World for just roller coasters? (hint: not many people). Hulk, RRR, still command long waits, especially Hulk. DD has the benefit of excellent capacity (it's technically two rides), so we don't see lines as much.

I'd also like to call out the folks that think large roller coasters can't be properly "themed", All three of their coasters have a heavy theme, "although DD lost a huge portion of it when Potter took over". That being said, not everything needs to be themed to be considered fun.

Orlando does not have a "coaster focused" park, so in my opinion, the more coasters built in UOR the better.
I don't entirely agree with you on that. DC's lines went heavily down once it was absorbed into Potter. That really shows how much of an afterthought that particular coaster is to most visitors.

Universal still uses Hulk footage pretty heavily in their marketing (or at least they did), so they think a coaster can bring people in.

Truth be told, if SeaWorld didn't have their coasters, I would maybe visit once every 3 trips instead of every trip.

Disney listens to their surveys too, but that's a whole other issue. Universal does put more weight in theirs and acts quicker. If Disney reacted like UOR does Stitch would have been replaced a few years ago. Conversely guest surveys this summer at UOR probably saved ET. It really is a balancing act.

Reactions: Nick and SkiBum
Disney listens to their surveys too, but that's a whole other issue. Universal does put more weight in theirs and acts quicker. If Disney reacted like UOR does Stitch would have been replaced a few years ago. Conversely guest surveys this summer at UOR probably saved ET. It really is a balancing act.
I do like that they seem to listen and act as that shows a company that wants to continue building upon what they have. At some point you do need to step back and say though... Yes guests are used to screen based rides (and are popular), but lets throw them a curveball and give them something they'll love and aren't expecting.

As a general rule I have no issue with any type of ride, but when you get to the point of having an over-abundance of a certain kind of ride and very little of other kinds, I think it just becomes obvious to revisit the drawing board and change up strategy. This is why i'm looking forward to Nintendo so much.

I agree. When I've gone to class trips for universal the biggest tallest ride people see is one they head to first. my class lined up for RRR and the wait was 200 minutes. Everybody loves this big rides. I can argue tho that RRR al,it's always has a longer wait than hulk.

I agree. When I've gone to class trips for universal the biggest tallest ride people see is one they head to first. my class lined up for RRR and the wait was 200 minutes. Everybody loves this big rides. I can argue tho that RRR al,it's always has a longer wait than hulk.

What's the ride capacity of RRR v Hulk out of interest?

I do like that they seem to listen and act as that shows a company that wants to continue building upon what they have. At some point you do need to step back and say though... Yes guests are used to screen based rides (and are popular), but lets throw them a curveball and give them something they'll love and aren't expecting.

As a general rule I have no issue with any type of ride, but when you get to the point of having an over-abundance of a certain kind of ride and very little of other kinds, I think it just becomes obvious to revisit the drawing board and change up strategy. This is why i'm looking forward to Nintendo so much.

I think this is my only real issue with Fallon is that it's too similar to T2, Despicable Me and Shrek which are pretty much all within a small walk of each other. This isn't even a screenz issue but like you said an over abundance of the same type of ride. I'm sure if Universal lined 4 coasters one after another, people would have the same complaint.

Reactions: Nick
I feel like a mummy ride is in need. Simulators are nice, but when is enough too much. I'm waiting here for universal to release info on a new ride, but then I hear it's a 3D simulator. I don't want to be looking into the future of UOR and all I see is a different type of simulator. SpiderMan, FJ, Gringotts, Kong, Jimmy Fallon, F&F, Transformers, Simpsons, shrek, Despicable me, Terminator. I feel like a little break from 3D would be nice, unless it's something really amazing. Idk, Gringotts is good, but I want a little more on the thrilling portion of the ride.

Last edited:
12 v 32, but RRR has twice as many trains as Hulk.

The big factor here is dispatch times.

Edit: I don't know why I didn't look this up online:

Hulk: 1920 people per hour with a full train dispatching every 60secs.
RRR: 1850 people per hour with a full train dispatching every 23secs.

Last edited:
What's the ride capacity of RRR v Hulk out of interest?
According to wikipedia:

HRRR = 1850 riders per hour
Hulk = 1920 riders per hour

HRRR breaks down far more too, so i'd say if those numbers are correct, Hulk definitely sees a significantly higher number of guests each day.

Well first, I've been stalking these forums for couple of months and have finally joined so yay. And second I think they should really take out Dragon Challenge. I love the ride but they need it gone. There's just too much space. So I think adding in the dark forest would be great. If they could add an Intamin launched like Taron ( or a Mack Launch like Madagascar Mad Pursuit- Motiongate Dubai) themed to the flying car scene in Chamber of secrets would be great. Have a dark section to get the story started where you do a jo-jo roll then launch and do some fun things. The it launches you agin outside a do a test track like outdoor section. Would be great

Well first, I've been stalking these forums for couple of months and have finally joined so yay. And second I think they should really take out Dragon Challenge. I love the ride but they need it gone. There's just too much space. So I think adding in the dark forest would be great. If they could add an Intamin launched like Taron ( or a Mack Launch like Madagascar Mad Pursuit- Motiongate Dubai) themed to the flying car scene in Chamber of secrets would be great. Have a dark section to get the story started where you do a jo-jo roll then launch and do some fun things. The it launches you agin outside a do a test track like outdoor section. Would be great

Welcome! :cheers:

Reactions: Mad Dog
Welcome to the OU Forums. :wave:

Reactions: Scott W.