Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion | Page 266 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That does not look like a good value proposition from my perspective.
Wow a $220 difference just to add VB? That's pricey for a water park.

Its a terrible screen grab honestly- and extremely misleading.

First- it includes express passes- so it adds the cost of the IoA and USF EP- but the EP for VB is an entirely seperate thing and it's own upcharge.

Secondly- that "$219" price it is showing is for a single day Parkhopper w/ Express for a non-FL resident . Whereas the "$439" is for two days with all 3 parks and express at all 3.

So looking at it apples to apples-
A 2 Day Park Hopper for the 2 parks with express pass is $359/adult
A 2 Day Park Hopper for the 3 parks with express only at USF and IoA. is $399/adult

So it's a whopping $40.

No biggie.

Yes it is very pricey.
No- it's not. ;)

Last edited:
Well I'm saying for annual passes. I completely understand if day tickets are more, and if they wanted to charge us an extra 50$ to get it on the AP. However they jacked up the prices for annual passes quite a lot last year, to the point where I wasn't sure if I'd be able to afford it. Now they're going to turn around and say we need a whole new annual pass that will probably be double the price, just to add the water park.

I agree. Our passes are $100 more, and there is three of us. If VB is not included, then what am I paying so much more for?
Those new rides will not pay for themselves

Still holding out for an AP option for VB...I don't want a discount, I want it included..

Those new rides will not pay for themselves

Still holding out for an AP option for VB...I don't want a discount, I want it included..
True, but usually huge hikes appear just before something major opens. Last year our AP's had gone up by $30, now by $100, that is a huge increase with nothing much to show for it.

Highly doubt it will be double the price. Funny thing is, my flexpay hasn't gone up in 11 years for my preferred pass. I'm a lucky one.

Same, only 16 years. I seriously wonder if it won't be cheaper for me to get just a separate VB AP and keep my current AP vs. a 3-park AP.

As for annual passes, keep in mind that Universal's expenses have also gone up with increases in minimum wages paid by all Orlando parks, additional security, etc. Passholders always are demanding, want everything for as little money as possible, and end up really not helping a park since most of them are locals who won't spend any money at the park when they do visit, just ride rides and make lines longer.

I would guess they will cap attendance at VB to a fairly low number each day and keep it a good experience for those who are there. If you suddenly have thousands of passholders showing up each day to just ride the water coaster or their favorite slide over and over it spoils it for the people who are resort guests and spending thousands of dollars (who will always be the priority).

As I've been saying for months, expect high prices for day tickets (close to or even with the other theme park tickets prices), and IF they even offer APs or add-ons to existing APs they will be pricey. They will not want the local riff raff there using the park as a babysitter in the summer. Expect that may change in the off season or after some time when they know the limits of the park. Look at what they did in Hollywood with the opening of HP as a guideline.

As for annual passes, keep in mind that Universal's expenses have also gone up with increases in minimum wages paid by all Orlando parks, additional security, etc. Passholders always are demanding, want everything for as little money as possible, and end up really not helping a park since most of them are locals who won't spend any money at the park when they do visit, just ride rides and make lines longer.

I would guess they will cap attendance at VB to a fairly low number each day and keep it a good experience for those who are there. If you suddenly have thousands of passholders showing up each day to just ride the water coaster or their favorite slide over and over it spoils it for the people who are resort guests and spending thousands of dollars (who will always be the priority).

As I've been saying for months, expect high prices for day tickets (close to or even with the other theme park tickets prices), and IF they even offer APs or add-ons to existing APs they will be pricey. They will not want the local riff raff there using the park as a babysitter in the summer. Expect that may change in the off season or after some time when they know the limits of the park. Look at what they did in Hollywood with the opening of HP as a guideline.
Some good points. People don't believe me when I say I expect VB day tickets to be similar cost, if not exactly the same, as the other two parks. They wouldn't be touting this as their third theme park otherwise.

Reactions: JoeCamel
If the UOR has 3 theme parks than WDW has 6. Universal has become a strong competitor but Disney is the one that still sets the rules in the themepark/entertainment market. Many will not be willing to spend $100 on a waterpark, much less for Universal.

If that is Universals plan, they are in for a surprise.

Reactions: SeventyOne
If the UOR has 3 theme parks than WDW has 6. Universal has become a strong competitor but Disney is the one that still sets the rules in the themepark/entertainment market. Many will not be willing to spend $100 on a waterpark, much less for Universal.

If that is Universals plan, they are in for a surprise.
Most people won't spend that much, they'll buy multi-day, multi-park tickets. Anyone who only wants to do VB will either cough up the money for the ticket or not. If they find that attendance is below projections, they'll lower that price or offer deals.

Yes, I think your argument is right on. Universal is really into guest spending ratios, and this park is there to provide a great experience for the people spending big bucks. They don't want another Wet & Wild small spending situation. As Universal continues to add hotel rooms, that will supply them with the high spending tourists that they want in the park. As for AP holders (and I'm one, though I'm a tourist) they're going to want the AP demographic that will spend money in the park. Not the ones that come with a water bottle & snacks filled backpack. Yes, I know it sounds elitist, but I believe that's the direction they're going in. It's kind of like the high class bar/restaurant business. Keep the prices high and you'll hopefully get the free spending crowd, and the high prices will keep out the people that can't afford the prices.....And, as GA Coaster says, if the demand wavers during the off seasons, they can always adjust the pricing to make up for shortfalls. This is kind of a boutique park, and since water parks don't have the high capacity of a regular theme park, they only need to attract enough to fill that lower capacity.

As a premier passholder, it would be incredibly asinine of Universal not to include at the very least a day ticket for VB with premier. Call me entitled, but I sure as hell think the vast majority of premier passholders spend a good amount of money.
Agreed. ANy idea stating otherwise that passholders dont spend money is ludicrous.

Status
Not open for further replies.